Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy Conditions 21st-23rd May

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Crazy weather for May!!
    Here in Cavan we had 62.3kph gust at 14:00, gusts back over 40kph again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Image (no time available). Also shows the Grimsvotn volcanic ash plume from Iceland in the top left.

160167.jpg

Credit to "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland".
    Link to home page: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

With a closeup (different image) taken at 1449 BST:

160168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Roof blown off a building in Carrickmacross and tree blocking the road (think it was some kind of "shed")

My trampoline flipped over at about 4pm even though it was held down with about 20 concrete blocks. (2nd time this year...gonna have to get the welder out again...sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Short animation of today's storm track across the Atlantic

May23-2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Massive damage around here, counted 12 trees down on my walk home and literally hundreds of branches scattered everywhere. Lots of damage around LYIT, a big billboard blew across the road and crashed into the gym building and theres fallen trees & branches everywhere

No damage around me thankfully aside from getting smacked in the face by a falling branch earlier. Electricity on and off but holding so far, 25,000 without power according to the ESB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I said earlier - ANyone any insight into when summer is actually gonna start ? every day the return of warmth is pushed out another few days

Since when did summer ever start in May??? It starts when the leaving cert is on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Maximum gust recorded here (outside Enniskillen) was 62mph between the hours of 10.50-11.50 this morning.
    Plenty of trees down and countless branches scattered around the place. Power being flickering on and off every few minutes since 12.00-16.00, thankfully it seems to have stopped (for now).
    Winds seem to have abated here in the past hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Max gust recorded at my home station so far today was 96.4km/h @ 12.22pm Avg. winds of 50 - 60km/h with Avg. gust of 70 - 80km/h.

Serious winds alright, some fallen branches here which I've only seen once before and some branches were pre-emptively cut down which I've never seen done.

Image at 7pm BST.

160207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Winds getting picking up now again, very stormy at the moment.

• Advertisement

Heavy hail shower here a while ago, blue skies now for the first time all day. Wind has died down but still regularly gusting above 50km/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

planetX wrote: »
    Since when did summer ever start in May??? It starts when the leaving cert is on:D

Our weather is fairly predictable, with a few notable exceptions the first two weeks of June is always a sun splitting the stones event.

The Upton Steam rally [then in aid of Lota pre the scandals] was also a ray of sunshine in June/July [weekend] when we were otherwise back in mid winter.

Back in January this weather was forecast, and whilst one cannot tell from long range forecasts, one can observe the plants and flowers and we had May flowers in early April, all over Ireland [and Japan co-incidentally] a full month early and it only lasted a long weekend in reality instead of the two weeks of full blooms.

Basically, if the long range says very, very, very bad weather, by the time it comes, it will be bad weather. It rarely changes to good weather ~ but weather is weather, largely predictable, with surprises ~ our current weather should not be a surprise to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You live in a different Ireland to me.

Torrential hail, crying out for a rumble of thunder looking at the clouds but nothing as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

my highest gust was 70mph at 10 36 today in kilmovee near knock airport:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Came across this on Donegal Forum. Main road between Doohery and Dungloe.

250f4ae6.jpg

Unfortunately 2 deaths reported in the UK, one in Western Scotland, and another in the northeast of England. Both caused by trees falling on cars.

Glen Ogle weather station in Stirlingshire reported a gust of 100mph.

Lucky theres been nobody here considering the number of trees that have fallen, I passed three trees that feel directly across footpaths today.

Undoubtedly the most damage I've seen from a storm since I've lived here, obviously the foliage on trees is a lot to do with it but I've never once even seen a fallen tree in my 3 years of living here let alone 12 trees in one day as well as countless branches and debris.

No real let up from the wind looking at the latest charts, although its considerably weaker than this one, the 3rd storm MT was eluding to seems set to hit us and even after than theres another being hinted at for next Monday on all the major models with the jet stream directly over us right out to 192h :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Harps wrote: »
    Undoubtedly the most damage I've seen from a storm since I've lived here, :(

Been here?

This is a minor storm, apart from sea reports, it's not even a storm. A bit windy, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gbee wrote: »
    Been here?

This is a minor storm, apart from sea reports, it's not even a storm. A bit windy, maybe.

Check his location, when a Donegal man says it was bad, it was f*cking bad!

Three trees down beside me, only young things though, in about 5/6 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

100km/hr winds reported 30km inland close sea level is quite severe for any storm around here.

I grew up right on the north west coast so yeah I know a proper storm more so than most, the damage is obviously largely down to the foliage on the trees. If this happened during the winter it wouldnt be much out of the ordinary but for May its quite exceptional to get a storm of this strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah it was a storm alright ! Four Master Bookstore closed for the day because of danger to customers. Advertising signs torn off buildings. Large chunks of debris hurtling round at face level. Trucks blown over. Trees down. I was at work 20 feet from waters edge and it was the strongest winds I have ever walked in. (and I remember hurricane Debbie).
    I can confirm what Harps says ... It was a storm and a rough one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I can confirm it was also a storm and nearly took me off my feet walking to the train station yesterday evening. Huge disruption with falling trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

back to my computer at last... spent some time in Donegal and can confirm it was a storm! At one stage while out for a look I was nervous that the car would be lifted, despite two of us in it and its a heavy saloon car.
    The sea was whipped into a frenzy and the waves were like mountains.

The rain was vicious and the amount of folliage down is serious. The front window of the house was littered with shards of green new growth leaves.

Glad to hear everyone okay on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Met Eireann have issued this for tonight :

Gale Warning

1. Southerly winds, veering southwest to west, will reach gale force this evening and early tonight on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea. 2. Winds further veering northwest to north will reach gale or strong gale force on western coasts later tonight and will extend to remaining coasts and to the Irish Sea on Thursday morning.
    Issued at 17:30 on 25-May-2011

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

P.s Can a mod please extend this thread title to include this warning or perhaps open a new thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

eskimocat wrote: »
    Met Eireann have issued this for tonight :

Gale Warning

1. Southerly winds, veering southwest to west, will reach gale force this evening and early tonight on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea. 2. Winds further veering northwest to north will reach gale or strong gale force on western coasts later tonight and will extend to remaining coasts and to the Irish Sea on Thursday morning.
    Issued at 17:30 on 25-May-2011

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

P.s Can a mod please extend this thread title to include this warning or perhaps open a new thread???

Fairly bad here in Kerry, strong winds and heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I was up Errigal tonight...not a great night but at least I didn't have to hang onto a rock like last week! Hopefully Met Eireann are wrong cos I'm sick to the teeth of gale force winds!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I was up Errigal tonight...not a great night but at least I didn't have to hang onto a rock like last week! Hopefully Met Eireann are wrong cos I'm sick to the teeth of gale force winds!:(

What takes you up Errigal?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

K-9 wrote: »
    What takes you up Errigal?

I'm in training for the Gaelforce North that's on the 4th June - 64km of running, cycling, kayaking with the little old Errigal thrown in the mix for good luck! It's hard to get out training in this bloody weather though:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement