Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emersion heating electric shower

Options
  • 21-05-2011 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hiya,

Just moved into new house with electric shower in the ensuite and emersion heated shower bath in the main bathroom.

Have been having problems with the electric showers reliability, sometimes it works perfectly and others it just has one setting, scalding!!!

I noticed this morning that this seems to be happening only when the emersion is on,

any ideas or solutions much appreciated.

:-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Next time you have the immersion cylinder full of hot water, run the electric shower on the cold setting for a few minutes and see if the water coming from it stays cold.

I cant imagine it was plumbed from the hot water pipe from the cylinder, but the above is just to make sure it wasnt. If it was, your problem is what would happen. Does the electric shower have a pump? You would hear this when its running. What make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

mrstayto wrote: »
    Hiya,

Just moved into new house with electric shower in the ensuite and emersion heated shower bath in the main bathroom.

Have been having problems with the electric showers reliability, sometimes it works perfectly and others it just has one setting, scalding!!!

I noticed this morning that this seems to be happening only when the emersion is on,

any ideas or solutions much appreciated.

:-)

is the electric shower in the ensuite off the mains?if it is do you have a washing machine or anything like that on at the same time?

It could be as simple as that alright if its a mains fed electric shower, and the immersion thing is just a co-incidence or linked by the OP.

If the cold tap is turned on in the kitchen, the same thing will happen, as will any heavy use of any taps after a short time as the attic tank starts to refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Next time you have the immersion cylinder full of hot water, run the electric shower on the cold setting for a few minutes and see if the water coming from it stays cold.

I cant imagine it was plumbed from the hot water pipe from the cylinder, but the above is just to make sure it wasnt. If it was, your problem is what would happen. Does the electric shower have a pump? You would hear this when its running. What make is it?

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head . . . perhaps using the hammer to hit the plumber might be a good idea !! Sounds like he ran the hot supply to the shower rather than the cold alright !!

Ken

Maybe they thought of using the electric shower as a dual type shower, instant electric when the hot water cylinder was cold, and also using the stored hot water from the cylinder when its hot by running the shower with its own heating elements off:eek:.

No way to vary the temperature like that though:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Stab in the dark here.....

But are you 100% it is an electric shower?
    I have 2 power showers running from the hot water tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

I seen this problem before, where a pumped shower was plumbed off the cold supply to the bathrooms, a faulty mixer valve in an ensuite bathroom was passing hot water into the cold side of the mixer. resulting in hot water being drawn into the electric shower even when the selector switch was on cold.

Advertisement