Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brooks saddles

• 21-05-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a Brooks saddle as a birthday present and I'm unsure which model to go for. It's for my boyfriend who has both a fixed gear bike as well as a touring bike and I'd like the saddle to do for both.

I've been on the Brooks website and have narrowed it down to the B17 Titanium or the Swift Titanium. The Swift is much more narrow than the B17 but I'm afraid it would be too narrow for his frame. He did mention though he would like the sleekest saddle though. What do you think? What are the differences between the two?

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

I have the Swift and have done 400k spins with it,works fine for me but saddles are a personal thing.
    Maybe best to let him make the choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

What saddles does he currently use? That will give you a good indication. Personally, if money wasn't an issue I'd go for the Swift over the B17 (although I think the best looking one is the Brooks Swallow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

RedOG wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a Brooks saddle as a birthday present and I'm unsure which model to go for. It's for my boyfriend who has both a fixed gear bike as well as a touring bike and I'd like the saddle to do for both.

I've been on the Brooks website and have narrowed it down to the B17 Titanium or the Swift Titanium. The Swift is much more narrow than the B17 but I'm afraid it would be too narrow for his frame. He did mention though he would like the sleekest saddle though. What do you think? What are the differences between the two?

Please help!

Lookswise I'd say the Swift, but for comfort (which is very much a personal thing), I'd say B17. The Swift is a fair bit lighter, if that matters and from what I've seen, harder to find.

I'd recommend having a google around as they vary a bit in price (I pricematched mine with CRC and saved thirty quid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Yup, I'd say the swift,Brooks saddles will mold and adjust to his back side,they really are the best saddles made, no matter which one you choose but the swift is lovely,he's a lucky man:D Just tell him to not get it wet and to tension it regularly,most people don't and it starts to sag in the middle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Holyboy wrote: »
    Yup, I'd say the swift,Brooks saddles will mold and adjust to his back side,they really are the best saddles made, no matter which one you choose but the swift is lovely,he's a lucky man:D Just tell him to not get it wet and to tension it regularly,most people don't and it starts to sag in the middle!!
    according to sheldon brown you should avoid tensioning it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

As much as I admire Mr. Brown for his amazing site and information I don't agree with all he says, Brooks would not make it possible or even supply a tool to tension their saddles if it wasn't necessary, they make them by hand after all, why would you not take heed of their after care advice!!!
    If memory serves me right Mr. Brown recommends to bake your Brooks saddle in the oven, now I'm sure that can't be good for it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RedOG

Thank you all so much for your great advice! I really was flummoxed on this one.

I definitely thought about letting him pick it out himself but it seemed like it would be a more personal present if I put the leg work and research behind it. At the moment he just has the saddle that came with his Create fixed gear and it is in tatters so anything will be better than that! :D

I think you're right, I think he would prefer the Swift (Although I do like the more traditional style and colour of the B17 personally).

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

RedOG wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your great advice! I really was flummoxed on this one.

I definitely thought about letting him pick it out himself but it seemed like it would be a more personal present if I put the leg work and research behind it. At the moment he just has the saddle that came with his Create fixed gear and it is in tatters so anything will be better than that! :D

I think you're right, I think he would prefer the Swift (Although I do like the more traditional style and colour of the B17 personally).

Thanks again!
    he's a lucky guy having a girl like you;)
    anyway i have the champion special b17 with copper rails and rivets looks and rides great like sitting on a comfy sofa.:D:D byw chainreaction have them at a good price check it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I bought a brooks flyer a couple of weeks back, very similar to the b17 and very comfy. Shopping around showed Bike24 much cheaper than CRC of Wiggle on this model, so I'd advise checking the prices on a range of sites before purchasing. Looks wise, I think the swallow wins out, but costs quite a bit more.

Advertisement