Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes and onions - too late?

Options
  • 21-05-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 stone of potato seed (British Queens and Sharps Express) earlier in the year and also a bag of onions.

Planted most of them in April and all are growing well but some left over which I didn't get in to the ground.

Could I still sow the remaining ones at this late stage? They're somewhat shrivelled but could still be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Should be ok with the spuds being as we are still in the winter but too late for the onions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was watching gardener's world earlier and monty don mentioned a few things which it was not too late for - and mentioned both spuds and onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

was watching gardener's world earlier and monty don mentioned a few things which it was not too late for - and mentioned both spuds and onions.
    - saw that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Can still buy spuds in some places, your right on the line, stick them down.

Same with the Onions, may not get huge but there nicer small anyway.

You just need a bit of sun then. This has been one stinky month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I planted some spuds a few months ago and the directions said that they'd be ready to harvest in 70 days, which is today. I haven't seen any sign of flowering yet, is it too early to harvest so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

10 weeks seems a bit early, should take 14 weeks for earlies. I'm not an expert but think you have to wait until after flowering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Spuds do not grow or swell until after flowering and should generally be harvested some time after flowering and probably left a bit longer to grow a bit more. Some areas in the South East would have earlies from now but crops in general would be small. Mine have just flowered but wouldn't dream of digging them for at least another two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I don't pull them untill the leaves start to go yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the advice, I'll leave them where they are so.

Advertisement