Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Business Studies (DBS) in NUI Galway

• 21-05-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I was just curious to see if anyone has any feedback on the Higher Diploma in Business Studies (DBS) in NUI Galway.
    Is it worth doing? Is it difficult for someone who has no business background at all? (I have a BA in languages)
    Any info would be greatly appreciated as the stuff that I've found online hasn't been very helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Hi so sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I am in the same position as you and am interested in this course. I have had no luck finding out much about this course other than the information on the NUIG website. I wish this course was available part-time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DBS_NUI_Galway

@LilyPool The course is specifically designed for students who have no business background. We don't accept applicants who have significant experience with business programmes. We get quite a lot of applicants from courses such as yours as well as from engineering and science backgrounds. Feel free to contact us through the details available on the NUI Galway page for the Higher Diploma in Business Studies, or reply here.

@whatlliwear Feel free to contact us through the details available on the NUI Galway page for the Higher Diploma in Business Studies. I've just registered here but I'll keep an eye on any replies or questions you pop up here also. The programme is currently not available as a part-time course. Much of the difficulty in offering this as a part-time course is that there are significant dependencies from semester one to semester two which has significant implications for timetabling in a part-time offering.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/business-studies.html

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Would the course suit someone coming from a humanities backround?

Hi scoopmine,

Yes, if you are a non-business graduate and you'd like to get some training in business subjects such as Marketing, Accounting, HR, Information systems, Economics and Management then you might enjoy the course.

We also get many students who wish to move into a business career and complete the DBS to help them decide on which aspect of business they might focus on in a Masters programme.

For more information on applying and our entry requirements, please see our webpage

DBS Course Director.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 crazyjav101

Hi, i'm very interested in this course. Is this course recognised by the teaching council to become a secondary teacher of Business Studies ? i.e. Am I eligible to do after a higher diploma in education in business after this course ?

• Advertisement

No, the course doesn't qualify you to teach business studies. To find out whether it helps you access a HDip in Education you'll need to ask the programme director of the HDip (Ed) that you're interested in. You might find that it helps but you might find you can get to your goal without doing this course.

Please post your experience back here, I'm sure others have the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 crazyjav101

I have a degree in primary teaching although i am thinking of a career in secondary teaching. in order to qualify for a higher diploma in teaching, the orginial degree must satisfy these requirements

In order to meet the registration requirements set down in the Teaching Council [Registration]
    Regulations 2009 (Regulation 4) in respect of the curricular subject of Business, an applicant
    must meet all of the following criteria.
    1 (a) Applicants must hold a degree level qualification (or equivalent), with Business studied
    up to and including third year level (or modular equivalent).
    (b) The qualifying degree must be equivalent to at least Level 8
    on the Irish National
    Qualifications Framework (NQF) and with a pass result in all examinations pertinent to the
    subject of Business.
    (c) The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System)
    credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of Business comprising at least 60 ECTS
    credits (or equivalent) with not less than 15 ECTS credits (or equivalent) studied at third
    year level (or modular equivalent).
    2 The study of Business during the qualification must show that the holder has acquired
    sufficient knowledge and understanding to teach the Business syllabus
    to the highest level
    in post-primary education (see www.ncca.ie). To meet this requirement the degree must
    include the study of at least four of the following Business disciplines:
    (a) Organisational Behaviour
    (b) Business Enterprise including Management
    (c) Business Environment (Domestic and/or International)
    (d) Human Resource Management
    (e) Marketing
    (f) Business Law
    The degree must also have been supported by relevant studies in the application of ICT in
    Business e.g. Information Systems. (A maximum of 5 ECTS credits (or equivalent) will be
    allowed towards the overall requirement of 60 ECTS credits (or equivalent)).

Does the degree in Galway satisfy these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rodstar

Hey I'm a final year arts student and I recently got accepted to this course i have just noticed that i have missed the date to pay my deposit to secure my place, I was wondering how I may go about paying the deposit and how much is it ?? just checked that in 2006 the deposit was 250 is that still the same ??

Advertisement