Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Animal-Related Books, Films, TV & Documentaries?

• 21-05-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be a nice topic, not sure how much interest it'll get but why not try? :p

My favourite, absolute favourite, novels growing up were the James Herriot vet series. I read my set of "All things.." books so many times, they fell apart. :o They gave me such an appreciation of the whimsy and tragedy that come part and parcel with the love of (or is it addiction to? :pac:) animals. Beautifully written, so warm and heartfelt and did a great deal to instill in me a greater understanding of how we interact with beast.. and how to appreciate that interaction.

Favourite animal films growing up were Old Yeller (but by god, what a heartbreaker! :eek:), National Velvet, Black Beauty (both versions), Black Stallion series, Babe, The Fox and the Hound (and a variety of Disney Classics, really!), Turner and Hooch. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting! :o Anyone remember these?

TV shows.. I have to say, I loved the old black-and-white Lassie. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

And documentaries.. Meerkat Manor is strangely fascinating! :D And again, can't think of any others off the top of my head!

So, what were your favourites growing up? And what are your favourites now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

My favourite books-Desmond Morris is a legend and his books catlore and catwatching are the go to for understanding my cats and other cats! he also has a book called animal watching, and dogwatching I haven't read them but loved the human animal all about us basically so would expect all his books to top notch. His books are old ranging from the 60s to present so I either borrow them from the library or find them second hand. (OT nothing to do with animals but his book babywatching is brillant too)

Favourite animal films were The lion king and the jungle book!

TV shows
    animals of Farthingwood growing up and the magazine
    Now I love the Money Business show! meerkat show is very cute too, also organtang island, the zoo (new zealand zoo), can't remember the name but a show focusing on big cats tigers, cheetahs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some people dont like the idea of animal themed films because it usually influences children and parents into getting a breed of dog that might not really be suitable for young kids....such as A Dogs Tale(Akita), snow dogs(Sibs) and 8 below(Malamutes and Sibs), with these films a lot of kids asked for the cute dog they saw in the Movies and the parents gave in which resulted in many families getting breeds of dogs not recommended for the novice owner let alone a young Child.

That been said I still like seeing movies with animals,

Best book: A call of the wild by Jack London
    Best Movie: Nikki wild dog of the north
    Best TV: The Littlest Hobo

I own an Alaskan Malamute which had nothing at all to do with a book or Movie and more to do with my confidence as an experienced owner of Northern Spitz breeds in the past and learning as much about my chosen breed as possible before considering getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I was really small I loved Peter Rabbit (reread it a few years ago, even more amazing than I remember it) then I moved on to the Animals of Farthing Wood (recently got them all on dvd, seriously need to rewatch them all)and the Animal Ark book series by Lucy Daniels (trying to get kids into them now as I work in a book shop, seriously little girl whose parents are vets, it was my dream). I read the James Herriot books when I was a teen, as well as watching the tv series.

Disney was great for the movies, I adored Lady and the Tramp, used to watch it every day at my baby sitters but I have been rewatching Disney in the past year and Bambi and Lion King are great, really looking forward to the Aristocats, the Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmatians, Oliver and Company and Jungle Book.

There are so many good animal related things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I love the movie "The Fox and the Child", it is just so gorgeous. Would prefer it subtitled as Kate Winslet does the voice over and is annoying. Great photography and handknits too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Great idea for a thread :)
    Favourite film is "Greyfriars Bobby" (the original film) Can't watch without going through a box of tissues!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADyn1IVhTQ&feature=related
    Used to also love Black Beauty and Lassie on t.v.
    Favourite book is most certainly "Fantastic Mr Fox" by Roald Dahl
    though I also loved "Watership Down" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When I was younger I loved Tarka the Otter and The Belstone fox. My dad and I would watch one of them nearly every sunday. I was very young, but would love to get them on DVD now that they've been brought to mind again.

I'm loving "Pieces of my heart" at the moment, but my god it makes me sob. So bad that my husband has hidden it on occasion. :o

I don't know if you will allow this OP ;) - but recently I brought my younger sister to see "How to train your dragon". I know it's not a real animal, but I was genuinely touched at the story of a clumsy, goofy, lovable but very misunderstood animal. He had mannerisms that I (and I'm sure most dog owners) could see in my own boy. It was a great kids film.

I'll watch anything documentary wise. I saw one recently on the idea of a hive-mind which I found very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Another Greyfriars bobby fan here, the original as well, have never seen the version with the Westie (oddly!). I think that Beethoven and Marley and me were both great movies that actually highlighted what it is actually like to live with these dogs, I bet no-one saw a surge of people running out to buy a St. Bernard after that one :pac: Marley and me I saw for the first time shortly after my old lab passed on, and for me it just highlighted how big a part of your life your pets are. My youngest sister was eight or nine when we got ours, her daughter was 4 when he passed on. Watching that movie had me bawling and that's not easily done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Just remembered another one - anyone seen Ring of Bright Water? Love that film.. and the book, actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

'The Incredible Journey' is a terrific film.
    Was also fond of 'Milo & Otis', obviously the Disneys, 'Homeward Bound', 'Babe', 'Beethoven', ah god I could go on all day.

Deric Longden really captures the essence of pet ownership. Recently read his book 'The Cat Who Came in from the Cold' and I cried tears of laughter reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin is a fantastic insight into how animals work, in my opinion. Anybody interested in animal behaviour (not just dogs and cats) would probably like it.
    There was a movie on Sky lately called Temple Grandin, which I assume is based on that book, or maybe just her life, but my Sky+ box had issues and although I recorded it I never got to watch :( I'll have to hope for a repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Absolutely loved the James Herriot books, and enjoyed the TV series (showing my age). Also loved 101 Dalmatians, the book, its what got me into dogs, Dodie Smith has a lot to answer for. Didn't enjoy the Disney films, too different to the book. I lived in London for a while and used to take my two dogs into work sometimes, stopped off at Primrose Hill one evening on the way home to walk them, was disappointed when we got to the top that there was no twilight howling:(;)

I also liked the Joyce Stranger books, particularly Casey and Breed of Giants.

More recently I've read a lot of books about sled dogs, and one of my favourites is Race Across Alaska, the story of Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Iditarod.

Advertisement