Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher v's Ordinary level French

• 21-05-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm thinking of dropping to Ordinary level french, my teacher suggested it and reckons if I did I could score an A as opposed to probably a D in higher. I struggle with the reading comps and have taken a look at a few ordinary level comps and they seem very manageable. I just spent a few days in hospital and missed about a week of school so something needs to give. Any opinions on this? Does anyone agree that there seems to be a great difference between the two levels? (Also the Oral went fine for me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

I dropped down from higher level French to ordinary level at the start of this year. It was a good decision for me because I'm not terribly gifted at foreign languages. If you're really worried about doing the honours French paper, I'd do the ordinary, an A is quite achievable if you put a bit of effort into learning the phrases for your written options. You also have the cloze test as an option if you're confident enough in French. With that being said, if you're confident enough in how well you did in the oral, you could still attempt the honours, you also have the listening to fall back on if you're okay at that.

Your teacher has seemed to recommend ordinary level but no-one can really make this decision but you, good luck with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Ordinary level french is simple. Seriously all you need is to learn a few notes for the letters and stuff at the end and you are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

dropped down from higher to ordinary there about 2 weeks ago. what a massive difference. in the HL class i was looking at a low D to a possible fail but now in all honesty i can see myself easily getting a B1 and if i put a little bit of effort into it i could get an A1...reading comprehensions are much easier with little manipulation required...i easily get two done within a 35-40 min class....the notes and postcard etc are much easier with simpler points and not as much detail needed...plus you don't have to know stats and facts because there is no hassle with the 3 opinion questions....tape is also great with multiple choice questions where in some cases the answer is common sense....hope this helps ya....best a luck in june!! :D :P

Advertisement