Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco No Quibble Guarantee changing

• 21-05-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭

I saw a sign in Tesco today saying that from the 30th May, they will no longer give you an item for free if you're overcharged. Instead you'll get double the amount you were overcharged by.

It was good while it lasted :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Boo :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

About time. People were abusing the previous guarantee and we all, as customers, carry the cost of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

will be glad to see the back of this free item malarkey.

I know of people who when they get overcharged for an item go back and buy a dozen, in order to get them free too. That's not what the guarantee was intended for, and the rest of the customers have been footing the bill.

I think/hope most people aren't like that going back to abuse the guarantee. If they had changed to it allow you get one item free rather than a total change. This guarantee was introduced remember because they were overcharging customers so often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

About time. People were abusing the previous guarantee and we all, as customers, carry the cost of that.

How were people abusing it? If the shelf price is different to the price you paid at the till then you get the item free... nothing abusing about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

January wrote: »
    How were people abusing it? If the shelf price is different to the price you paid at the till then you get the item free... nothing abusing about that?

People were abusing it by buying the whole shelf of the items once they knew they would get them free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

And....

the prices on tills in 24 hour store were changed between 4am and 8am. All the prices need to be displayed withing this time.

Every 3 weeks there would be a refund of at least €40 to each person from purchases made between those hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So tesco introduced this when they went to the scanning tills to counteract the fears people had about prices being wrong and being overcharged but now instead of employing competent staff that can get the on shelf prices right they are getting even worse with even more wrong prices so they do away with the refund offer as they dont care about their customers or how much they overcharge them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So tesco introduced this when they went to the scanning tills to counteract the fears people had about prices being wrong and being overcharged but now instead of employing competent staff that can get the on shelf prices right they are getting even worse with even more wrong prices so they do away with the refund offer as they dont care about their customers or how much they overcharge them!

Do you know how many products are in a tesco store?

I don't but I would imagine it's hundreds of thousands of options. So there has to be room for human error.

Occasionally on the bargain alerts forum there is a post about an item that is underpriced in tesco (bodum coffee plungers most recently) so it happens the other way around as well.

I have seen people filling their trolleys with one product in order to capitalise on price errors. I've also seen posters bragging that they've done it as well. It's almost like a begrudgery that's built into people - "big business can afford it so f*ck them".

It does cost the customer in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

least tesco would give the product for free or will double the difference were overcharged supervalu will only give u the difference u were overcharged

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This would imply that rather than forcing Tesco and their incompetent staff to get their act together regarding false pricing, the problem is such that this guarantee is costing them money.

Frankly I would have expected that their choice would have been to tackle the problem by streamlining their price change policies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'd love if the system somehow overcharged for about 50 quid :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

Do you know how many products are in a tesco store?

I don't but I would imagine it's hundreds of thousands of options. So there has to be room for human error.

Occasionally on the bargain alerts forum there is a post about an item that is underpriced in tesco (bodum coffee plungers most recently) so it happens the other way around as well.

I have seen people filling their trolleys with one product in order to capitalise on price errors. I've also seen posters bragging that they've done it as well. It's almost like a begrudgery that's built into people - "big business can afford it so f*ck them".

It does cost the customer in the long run.

I've never been over charged by Superquinn!

Seriously, Tesco are a joke when it comes to displaying their prices properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

parsi wrote: »
    This would imply that rather than forcing Tesco and their incompetent staff to get their act together regarding false pricing, the problem is such that this guarantee is costing them money.

Frankly I would have expected that their choice would have been to tackle the problem by streamlining their price change policies.

+1

Well said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

compsys wrote: »

Have been a few times (especially where an offer wasn't recognised) but realised it at the self scan and they gave me the item for free :)

compsys wrote: »

Seriously, Tesco are a joke when it comes to displaying their prices properly.

I was overcharged twice in Superquinn, on baby bottles and an offer on nappies that didn't work.

In all fairness the operator called someone over who just looked at the stuff, asked what prices I thought they should be and changed them on the till immediately without checking it out.

Great service but very very trusting......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Maybe Tesco will start getting their pricing correct? It's obviously worth their while if mistakes are made, it will be even more worth their while from May 30th.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

they should be able to have all prices correct in my opinion, I noticed in france last year the price displays are electronic, I guess allowing them change prices remotely from the office no excuse there I'd imagine

January wrote: »
    Several people here, over the years, have said that they go back time and again when they discover an error. one person recently claimed to have a freezer full of one product which they paid nothing for. That's abuse and you and I pay for that kind of dishonest behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was overcharged twice in Superquinn, on baby bottles and an offer on nappies that didn't work.

In all fairness the operator called someone over who just looked at the stuff, asked what prices I thought they should be and changed them on the till immediately without checking it out.

Great service but very very trusting......

At least they honoured the offer. You has to be very careful in Supervalu. They leave the promotional price banners on the shelf (over the item's actual price, too) well after the offer has ended. The end date is written in very small writing at the bottom. When you buy an item and the price is different they just say "the offer's over, didn't you read the bottom of the price banner?" and make you feel like a fool at the checkout.

Needless to say, I don't shop there anymore. If I wanted to read dates that much, I'd buy a calendar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Several people here, over the years, have said that they go back time and again when they discover an error. one person recently claimed to have a freezer full of one product which they paid nothing for. That's abuse and you and I pay for that kind of dishonest behaviour.

Indeed they have, infact there's a large number of websites that are dedicated to finding errors so people can go in and abuse Tesco's policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I agree with you that abuse by greedy customers is bad. But let's not pretend to ourselves that the introduction of the new policy will result in lower food prices!
    Did self service tills give lower prices?
    Did the removal of most head office functions from Ireland give lower prices?

We are still paying way over the odds for food in this country compared to the UK.
    Tesco Ireland is already reckoned to be it's most profitable division worldwide.
    Tesco's profit margins in the Republic are the company's highest in the world according to retail industry analysts in London, who have a detailed knowledge of Tesco's worldwide operations. Tesco's Irish profit margin, was 9.3 per cent in 2008 and is projected to rise to 9.5 per cent by the end of 2009. This makes the Irish operation Tesco's most successful worldwide in margin terms.[4] Tesco's Irish profit margin is all the more remarkable given that the company sells a much larger volume of higher margin non-food items at its UK stores

gman2k wrote: »
    I agree with you that abuse by greedy customers is bad. But let's not pretend to ourselves that the introduction of the new policy will result in lower food prices!
    Did self service tills give lower prices?
    Did the removal of most head office functions from Ireland give lower prices?

We are still paying way over the odds for food in this country compared to the UK.
    Tesco Ireland is already reckoned to be it's most profitable division worldwide.
    Tesco's profit margins in the Republic are the company's highest in the world according to retail industry analysts in London, who have a detailed knowledge of Tesco's worldwide operations. Tesco's Irish profit margin, was 9.3 per cent in 2008 and is projected to rise to 9.5 per cent by the end of 2009. This makes the Irish operation Tesco's most successful worldwide in margin terms.[4] Tesco's Irish profit margin is all the more remarkable given that the company sells a much larger volume of higher margin non-food items at its UK stores

Yawn.

Everytime there's a tesco bashing thread somebody always brings up the 3 year old "statistic" that's never actually been proven.

I don't care that tesco makes 0.02 more of a profit here for their shareholders than elsewhere. A higher cost base means a higher profit percentage is needed - it doesn't always transfer into bigger cash profits.

I buy wherever is cheapest - be it Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi - I know they're all making a profit - I'm not going to work myself up into worrying who makes the most.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Of course if Tesco got their pricing correct in the first place there would be no need for "abuse". Is it abuse when they try to overcharge their customers and for the most part of it get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yawn.

Everytime there's a tesco bashing thread somebody always brings up the 3 year old "statistic" that's never actually been proven.

I don't care that tesco makes 0.02 more of a profit here for their shareholders than elsewhere. A higher cost base means a higher profit percentage is needed - it doesn't always transfer into bigger cash profits.

I buy wherever is cheapest - be it Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi - I know they're all making a profit - I'm not going to work myself up into worrying who makes the most.:D

Yawn back at you.
    I too buy wherever is cheapest, and I have never bought into the 'The difference is we're Irish' horse manure. At least Tesco is a PLC so ordinary people can share the profits. The difference with Dunnes is that it's a private family owned company - only they can see or take the profit.
    BTW, I worked for Tesco for years, so I've no need to bash them.
    My point was that these new policies will not result in lower prices. The dogs on the street already know that we are paying over the odds in Ireland in general for food compared to internationally.

gman2k wrote: »
    Yawn back at you.
    I too buy wherever is cheapest, and I have never bought into the 'The difference is we're Irish' horse manure. At least Tesco is a PLC so ordinary people can share the profits. The difference with Dunnes is that it's a private family owned company - only they can see or take the profit.
    BTW, I worked for Tesco for years, so I've no need to bash them.
    My point was that these new policies will not result in lower prices. The dogs on the street already know that we are paying over the odds in Ireland in general for food compared to internationally.

We pay prices that are on parity with our income. The cost base for trading comes into play in every market around the world.

Yes we pay higher prices than the UK and some mainland European countries, but certainly not all, ever been unfortunate enough to buy groceries in France?

The USA isn't necessarily cheaper either - the portion/pack sizes are much larger so for the most part you have to buy more than you intend to. And from what I recall, meat is very expensive compared to Ireland, I remember picking up steaks for a bbq and having to do a double take at the price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not necessarily a worse off position for the consumer, depends on the overcharge, say an item should be €3.99 and you were charged €8.99, under the old system you would get the item for free (full refund of the €8.99), under the new system you'll have twice the overcharge refunded which is a net position to you of €8.99 -(2X(€8.99-€3.99))=€1.01 cash in your pocket.
    This position is sure to be 'exploited' as much as the old one was.
    On larger electronic goods the new policy is a potential for free goods and cash into your pocket.

slave1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily a worse off position for the consumer, depends on the overcharge, say an item should be €3.99 and you were charged €8.99, under the old system you would get the item for free (full refund of the €8.99), under the new system you'll have twice the overcharge refunded which is a net position to you of €8.99 -(2X(€8.99-€3.99))=€1.01 cash in your pocket.
    On larger electronic goods the new policy is a potential for free goods and cash into your pocket.

You'd get 5.99 x 2 into your pocket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Where did you get that?

Explain please. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

slave1 wrote: »

i believe in this kind of case you would be right, there was an overcharge of €5 on ( advertised @ €4.99) goods that we bought only 2 days ago, we got the €9.99 refunded but we would have gotten €10 under the new system?!?!?

ok maybe i am understanding this wrong but isn't it double the difference you get back....

thus using the example above would it not be:

€8.99 - €3.99 = €5 (x2) = €10 refund

Advertisement