Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco No Quibble Guarantee changing

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

So now instead of "retailers" it's just "major retailers" that are trying to hoodwink you?
    Every company from retail to insurance to computer companies will engage in what you describe as "sharp practice" but they call it "marketing & advertising"
    How about Ryanair? SALE SALE SALE!!! €2 FLIGHTS!! taxes €99, baggage, €30, administration €24.

Everybody is aware of how Ryanair "hoodwink" their customers, try getting the difference back from a Ryanair flight!! Yet people play dumb and act all hurt when Tesco or Dunnes use ambiguous signage or pricing.

It's not that difficult to look at a product on a shelf and find the corresponding price.
    Brand? Check.
    Size? Check.
    No shelf price? No problem, just head around to the price checker. Done. in the trolley. No drama.
    Yes, imo it is the major retailers who try and hoodwink people, for one thing it's much more difficult for small retailers to do likewise. There are several reasons for this, including the fact that normally there is a more personal relationship between the vendor and vendee and the vendor depends on repeat business to a much greater degree (large retailers know that consumers may have few options). Small food retailers usually have a much lesser range of products and prices, therefore pricing is much more transparent.

I really don't see the comparison between ryanair and a food retailer's ambiguous pricing, say what you will about the likes of ryanair, but you know exactly what the price of your flight including all extras is before you click on the purchase button.

And as for your last point about it not being difficult to find prices corresponding to displayed products, well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, imo it's often extremely difficult because of the slight differentiation in many different product sizes and the wording of offers.

What I call sharp practices are not advertising or marketing. Marketing and advertising refer to the ways in which a company entices a consumer to purchase a particular product, that could be via clever signage, displays, special pricing and placement of products etc, not the practice whereby a special price is displayed below a stack of almost identical products to which that price does not apply, that's sharp practice.

Of course you're correct, we should all use the price checker, they're so convenient aren't they. Sure, what else have we got to be doing of an evening anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The comparison with Ryanair is simple, they draw you in with a fantastic opening offer, ie flights €9.99 but the additions bring the flight up to cost in excess of €100. Their is no possible way to fly for €9.99, even if you do find the 5am flight to say, Ljubliana - without taxes and use a prepaid card then you still have to pay for online check in. I find the whole pricing structure for most airlines websites to be intolerable but Ryanair take it to a whole new level.

Now take a supermarkets offer, *half price Persil, or Hellmans mayo, or Kelloggs Corn flakes, if the product advertised on the shelf isn't there, the non offer product in a different form will be there. There's about 10 different sizes and types of Hellmans mayo, (800g, 400g, light, garlic, lemon etc..) so I would expect to find the non offer product beside it. I don't see what the problem is with this, it's how supermarkets are merchandised.

If you're going to say that this is "sharp practice" then you are a bit naive when it comes to supermarket layouts....

And by all means go to the smaller retailer, I would much rather the smaller independents stay in business. The problem is they don't have the purchasing power of the large multiples, while they might be able to price match some of their products, when it comes to a family shop, they just cannot compete.

Advertisement