Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trench art

Options
  • 21-05-2011 7:43pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Crossposted from Collectibles

One of my personal favourite areas of Irish numismatics is trench art made with Irish coins. Here's one I picked up recently:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Blade wrote: »
    Crossposted from Collectibles

One of my personal favourite areas of Irish numismatics is trench art made with Irish coins. Here's one I picked up recently:

nice piece of trench art you have there blade.

if you dont mind me asking how come it has a crown on it with the irish penny? sorry if its a stupid question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

nice piece of trench art you have there blade.

if you dont mind me asking how come it has a crown on it with the irish penny? sorry if its a stupid question.

I've no idea and the guy I bought it from had no info on it either. I thought it might have been rude to ask him where he got it from so I didn't. Maybe it was made by some Irish guy in the British army? I thought that crown might have been related to a specific regiment, in which case you'd know more about that than me. I have quite a few trench art pieces made with Irish coins, I've a lovely snuff/pill box made with both Irish and British pennies. It might have been a case of them just using what they had at their disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Blade wrote: »
    I've no idea and the guy I bought it from had no info on it either. I thought it might have been rude to ask him where he got it from so I didn't. Maybe it was made by some Irish guy in the British army? I thought that crown might have been related to a specific regiment, in which case you'd know more about that than me. I have quite a few trench art pieces made with Irish coins, I've a lovely snuff/pill box made with both Irish and British pennies. It might have been a case of them just using what they had at their disposal.

thanks for the reply. if i was you i would have had to ask about the coin, i still would have bought it though.

could you put up pics of your other trench art ? thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeah sure, leave it with me a couple of days and I'll see what I can dig out. Most of it is still packed away in boxes since I moved house, but I think I have some handy.

Ok, here's another 2 pieces, again with Irish coins. I do have more but they're stashed away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

very nice, like the Snuff Box(?)

Mousey- wrote: »
    very nice, like the Snuff Box(?)

Yeah I think they were used for snuff, pills and opium. I have another 2 of these boxes in different shapes, always with Irish coins. One is completely round like a ball that opens up. When I get a chance to dig them out I'll upload the pics here.

Advertisement