Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does Harold Camping and his crew explain the world not ending?

• 21-05-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I just have to wonder how these people justify their beliefs after they have been proven wrong. This guy also predicted the end of the world in 1994. His explanation? He got the date wrong. It's a bit bizarre that they can be so confident as to fork out a few grand on billboard messages telling us all that the world is coming to an end. So tomorrow morning when these guys wake up on the 22nd of May, how do they justify their beliefs? No doubt he'll say he got the dates wrong again but if he was so sure, that's got to affect your beliefs. I suppose these people are so deluded but it does baffle the mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Third time lucky maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

He didnt carry the 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It did rain rather heavily here. Had me worried for a moment:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Once our minds are set we do not only fail to seek disconfirming evidence but also actively fight against it once presented--a cognitive habit called ‘belief perseverance,' demonstrated by an old joke:
    A patient appears at the psychiatrist's office claiming that he's dead. The psychiatrist asks: "Do you know that dead people don't bleed?""Of course," answers the patient, "everybody knows that."
    The psychiatrist then takes a needle, pokes the patient's finger, and lo and behold, blood drips out.
    The patient looks at his bleeding finger and says: "I'll be darned, Doc; dead people do bleed!"

Source: www. psychologytoday .com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe we didn't send him enough money.

• Advertisement

Found this..:D

His refusal to schedule a media interview for the following day - “It is absolutely going to happen. There is no way that I can schedule an interview because I won’t be here.” - was being replayed by media as the world firmly stayed standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I can imagine him now, surrounded by followers, saying "Did you think I said 'rapture'? Oh dear me no, I said, er...I'm off to have a fap sure...yeh, that's it!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I can imagine him now, surrounded by followers, saying "Did you think I said 'rapture'? Oh dear me no, I said, er...I'm off to have a fap sure...yeh, that's it!"

"No, I'm certain I said raptors, see, Jurassic Park is on tonight.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

• Advertisement

If nothing else, HIS world will come to an end! who will listen to him in the future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

He'll just say his prayers were answered and after a long think and maybe a cup of tea Jesus decided to give us more time! Those type of people have an answer for everything! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Didn't he say the earthquake would be at 6 us time?

Not that I believe it. Do you believe they had timepieces in Gospel times to dictate what time it is?

The Bible states the rapture will come when we don't expect it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

He was right. It was God who got the date wrong. He must have one of those old calenders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

I heard stories of families blowing their entire income expecting this. I really feel for the children especially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

A lot of complacency here.

Today is not over yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dummy used the Gregorian calendar so is 10 days too soon. Watch this space on the 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

JuneBug29 wrote: »
    I just have to wonder how these people justify their beliefs after they have been proven wrong. This guy also predicted the end of the world in 1994. His explanation? He got the date wrong. It's a bit bizarre that they can be so confident as to fork out a few grand on billboard messages telling us all that the world is coming to an end. So tomorrow morning when these guys wake up on the 22nd of May, how do they justify their beliefs? No doubt he'll say he got the dates wrong again but if he was so sure, that's got to affect your beliefs. I suppose these people are so deluded but it does baffle the mind.

Religious people find crazy excuses to rationalise unfounded and illogical beliefs all the time - it's what all religion is based on.

cml387 wrote: »
    A lot of complacency here.

Today is not over yet.

Yeah, but c'mon, who starts an apocalypse after 8pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEeee......_ eventually. Any day now.

Those raptors will learn to open doors soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

deathrider wrote: »

And on a Saturday too!

I think God was merely pointing to the end of gagging orders as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

People are making Harold Camping jokes like there is no tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the Jehovah's Witnesses told everyone that the world was going to end in 1975, but they're still around unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

thomasj wrote: »
    I heard stories of families blowing their entire income expecting this.
    They should have got a receipt with ' money back option if not satisfied ' when they subscribed

And also read terms of condition small print at the bottom of page

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think the Jehovah's Witnesses told everyone that the world was going to end in 1975, but they're still around unfortunately.

... Did the world end then? I must have missed it.

deathrider wrote: »
    There 's still plenty of time for the veil of the temple to be rent in twain about two minutes before we see the sign of the manifest flying beast-head in the sky.

There 's still plenty of time for the veil of the temple to be rent in twain about two minutes before we see the sign of the manifest flying beast-head in the sky.

I have no idea what you just said :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

even putting that through Google Translate has failed to turn it into anything remotely comprehensible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Simple really innit?
    The conviction that the world will end at 6pm today comes from a mathematical system he claims to have devised for unearthing prophesies hidden in the Bible. By his logic, 21 May 2011 is exactly 722,500 days from 1 April AD33, which he believes was the day of Christ's Crucifixion. The figure of 722,500 is important because you get it by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice.

"It's all here, in black and white," he says, waving a well-thumbed copy of the Old Testament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Colilfc wrote: »
    Simple really innit?

Wouldn't you want non-holy numbers? It's meant to be gods killing each other, isn't it?

Wait... that's Ragnarok.

... At least they get a show for the apocalypse, we just get 4 idiots on horses.

even putting that through Google Translate has failed to turn it into anything remotely comprehensible
    You didn't Google enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Colilfc wrote: »
    Simple really innit?

And all this from a book about a guy who doesn't even know his own birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mr. Camping has released a special announcement on his website, about this:
    Yes, we humbly acknowledge we were wrong about the timing; yet though we were wrong God is still using the May 21 warning in a very mighty way. In the months following May 21 the Bible has, in some ways, come out from under the shadows and is now being discussed by all kinds of people who never before paid any attention to the Bible. We learn about this, for example, by the recent National Geographic articles concerning the King James Bible and the Apostles. Reading about and even discussing about the Bible can never be a bad thing, even if the Bible’s authenticity is questioned or ridiculed. The world’s attention has been called to the Bible.

We must also openly acknowledge that we have no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world. Though many dates are circulating, Family Radio has no interest in even considering another date. God has humbled us through the events of May 21, to continue to even more fervently search the Scriptures (the Bible), not to find dates, but to be more faithful in our understanding.

We have learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God’s hands and He will end time in His time, not ours! We humbly recognize that God may not tell His people the date when Christ will return, any more than He tells anyone the date they will die physically.
    Good spin job ... not. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement