Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final college exam problem

• 21-05-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hello Guys ,

Im not sure i have the correct forum , maybe it can be moved if i haven't.
    I'm looking for some guidance , I hope that people can help me or offer me some sort of solution to my problem. I am studying Accounting and Finance in College , and I am in my last Year. All my exams have gone really well except for the last one which was TAX , Now it wasn't just myself but the whole class is complaining about it. Now basically after doing some investigation I have found that My lecturer gave the ACCA TAXATION paper of JUNE2010 as our final exam , word for word. Is he allowed to do this ? Could the exam be called Void ? What steps can i pursue.

Would really love some guidance on this

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Apart from a possible breach of ACCA's copyright, is there any reason why you think he shouldn't have done that? (Assuming that the course he was giving was covering more or less the same content as the exam is based on.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I was thinking along the lines that as an internal examiner should he not be setting his own paper ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If its material covered in the course outline there isn't much wrong with the exam. Copying the ACCA exam won't effect the students unless it contains questions which were not in course syllabus. There should be an internal appeals process for your college for this. Do it immediately if you feel the exam was not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sarge wrote: »
    I was thinking along the lines that as an internal examiner should he not be setting his own paper ?

In theory yes, and this paper should have been peer reviewed and reviewed by an external examiner.

However, it all depends on the context.

Is your Tax course accredited with the ACCA? If so, then I would guess he probably is within his rights.

If not, is the Tax course based on the ACCA syllabus? Again, this would lend some legitimacy to using the latter's exam.

Having set quite a few exams myself, I would like to put my faith in the quality control processes that are in place and think that this is not a case of the lecturer being lazy and that he has legitimate reasons for doing something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ha sorry for the bump , Thought id let you guys know how i got on :-)

65% in that tax exam :-)

• Advertisement

Well done on the result. Your lecturer is a lazy barsteward by the way, but I'm sure thats the last thing on your mind now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Little Pea wrote: »
    Ha sorry for the bump , Thought id let you guys know how i got on :-)

65% in that tax exam :-)

So no need to complain about how horridly the examiner acted then?
    I think you should make a complaint and have everyone sit the exam again.

Advertisement