Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movin to LA on 12month graduate visa

Options
  • 21-05-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I've been accepted for the 12 month graduate visa to US and I'm booked to go to LA the end of August. Just looking for some advice on jobs, accomodation, starting money, area to live and Irish community over there. I'v been scowering the net - craiglist, monster, etc etc for info but would like word from someone perhaps in the US on this visa please or anyone with info.

I have a Bachelor degree in English and Theology and have done the H.Dip. Finished a masters in poetry recently, thats the graduate qualification I'm going on and so just wondering about the the prospect of jobs for my qualifications in LA. Thinking of looking for work in publishing, writing, journalism - and anything elce that could link to my qualifications. Are these types of jobs plentiful? And how likely is it that I would be able to set up a job before I go over (without travelling for interview in the meantime)?

I'm headin over with my cousin who has also qualified for the same visa. We are willing to share a room and want to live in a house with others to get to know people. How much would a room share cost in LA? where is the best area to live? we're in our early 20's so somewhere lively but safe would be great. Also neither of us have a full licence so somewhere serviced by solid public transport would be important.

Also wondering is there's a prodominant Irish area in los angeles. Would like to live there with/near some Irish if possible. I know I should be getting cultured but theres nothing like being near people who know your friends neighbours cousin (only in Ireland eh) :D

So in light of the above how much starting money would you suggest I have going over. For regulations I must have 1500, just wondering is this cutting it tight for deposit and living while job hunting if I'v nothing sorted before I go? Also when we land should be focus on jobs or accomodation first - as in should I have an address for my resume or a job to know where I should live?

Sorry this is very long, even advice on one of these questions would be great. Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I haven't lived in Los Angeles but I have visited and there isn't any 'Irish' areas comparable to New York or Boston. In fact I very much doubt there is any, the vast majority of emigrants to LA are either Hispanic or Asian. Just worth having a think about before you go.

As I said though I haven't lived there so I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smt

thanks for that. ya i was startin to get that general impression as there doesn't seem to be an GAA clubs or Irish centers in LA on the net. Have the flights booked and paid for tho so afraid well have to go with the general LA area for a while anyway.

Do you know anything about surrounding areas like Santa Monica/Barbara? we're flyin into LAX but arent completly stuck to setting up in LA, willing to go to surronding areas if better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

who cares? why would you want to associate with irish people over there anyway? the us is an english speaking country as far as im aware

smt wrote: »
    thanks for that. ya i was startin to get that general impression as there doesn't seem to be an GAA clubs or Irish centers in LA on the net. Have the flights booked and paid for tho so afraid well have to go with the general LA area for a while anyway.

Do you know anything about surrounding areas like Santa Monica/Barbara? we're flyin into LAX but arent completly stuck to setting up in LA, willing to go to surronding areas if better?

Santa Barbara is a good bit north of LA and unless you have some serious money it isn't somewhere that you'll be able to afford long term.

Santa Monica is one of the more expensive western LA suburbs. Once again, very expensive to live in.

The main issue in LA is finding somewhere to live that is relatively close to your workplace. Commuting in Los Angeles is horrific. 2 hours each way isn't unheard of.

Have a look at Venice Beach for cheaper prices than Santa Monica.

Be warned though, anything in a nice area of LA is seriously expensive even by Irish standards. The California jobs market is in the absolute ****ter at the moment as well.

paky wrote: »
    who cares? why would you want to associate with irish people over there anyway? the us is an english speaking country as far as im aware

Irish communities can be handy for making contacts to an extent. You might be able to hear about jobs through word of mouth etc. Building up a new social network in a new city takes time. It will be a long time (a year at least) before you get to know people well enough to have 'friends' really. An Irish community might provide you with a base.

Granted not everyone wants to mingle with other Irish which is perfectly fine but I wouldn't necessarily look a gift horse in the mouth either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

http://wildgeesegfc.org/

If u have facebook, search for LA Wild Geese

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smt

Hey thanks for all the info. I was cheecking out venice beach and it looks like a really funky place to live cheers Havingcrack.

Also wild geese link was great, nice to see theres a place to make contacts, thanks thecelt.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated boarders :) !

Advertisement