Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunship helicopters in Moneygall.

Options
  • 21-05-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks I was working in Roscrea this week and friday evening I see two gunship helicopters hovering over Roscrea. They headed for Moneygall then.

disaster2003.angelfir2.gIf

They were parked up in Moneygall after with two more army helicopters. Any one else see them and are they irish or us army choppers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Look carefully: United States Army

Not really being used as gunships either. They can be fitted with weapons easily, but they're being used for logistics and transport on this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

tricky D wrote: »
    Look carefully: United States Army

Not really being used as gunships either. They can be fitted with weapons easily, but they're being used for logistics and transport on this job.

Dunno why they're bringing in artillery, seems quite OTT.

The photo is not from Moneygall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

cml387 wrote: »
    The photo is not from Moneygall.

LOL its not either!!. I pulled that off Google I couldnt be taking pictures because I was driving and in a hurry home. Its the same Helicopter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

True, but it is the exact same helicopter, markings and all.

From: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72329224&postcount=33

IMGB3810.jpg

It is the same actually. I couldnt get a good look as I was on the motorway. I am kicking myself now that I didnt come down the old road. I didnt think our army had any gear like that.

The village looks fantastic actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Bit mysterious what Chinooks are doing here. I wouldn't have thought there'd be much of a US army presence and that it'd be the DF doing the security.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bit mysterious what Chinooks are doing here. I wouldn't have thought there'd be much of a US army presence and that it'd be the DF doing the security.

The US will mainly be looking after the entire operation. We don't have the equipment to deal with it and the US would not trust our hardware what with all the bells and whistles they have installed on their own gear.

Those US Army CH-47s flew in from the UK on Wednesday to Dublin airport. Two USAF C-17s flew in with a VH60 Whitehawk each on board to fly Obama around. There will also be USAF fighters from UK bases on patrol in the Irish Sea at the 12 mile limit during the visit.

The US will mainly be looking after the entire operation. We don't have the equipment to deal with it and the US would not trust our hardware what with all the bells and whistles they have installed on their own gear.

Those US Army CH-47s flew in from the UK on Wednesday to Dublin airport. Two USAF C-17s flew in with a VH60 Whitehawk each on board to fly Obama around. There will also be USAF fighters from UK bases on patrol in the Irish Sea at the 12 mile limit during the visit.

Intresting! Have the US army a base in the UK or is it a naval vessal. I was trying to figure out how they got them over. The Queen had her own security with her so I doubt the yanks would trust us with Obama..:p

Offtopic but I am shocked there was no thread on Obama in the Tipperary or Offaly forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Intresting! Have the US army a base in the UK or is it a naval vessal.

The US have aircraft (the 48th Fighter Wing) at RAF Lakenheath, an airbase, if that's what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Hi folks I was working in Roscrea this week and friday evening I see two gunship helicopters hovering over Roscrea. They headed for Moneygall then.

disaster2003.angelfir2.gIf

They were parked up in Moneygall after with two more army helicopters. Any one else see them and are they irish or us army choppers.

There was 4 of them not two I saw them going the Dublin direction they dropped people in Moneygall from Cork after the queen has left, they were Irish and they were not the same as this pick they only has one propeller but they were big ass and they did have guns attached. They were traveling only about 300m from the ground. there was also bus loads od Garda brought in friday evening i never saw so many Garda in the station in Moneygall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement