Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first two months in oz

Options
  • 21-05-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Im here in Perth now two months and said id drop a few words to show how i got on and it might help people looking to come over
    Now i was lucky as when i landed i was able to stay with friends whilst i tried to get settle find a house,work etc
    Firstly the fact that you are recommended to bring 5000euro i think is a basic necessity,Perth can be expensive if you want it to be when your getting yourself set up,Driving licences,Mobile Phones,Bed clothes etc will all add up without ya even noticing,
    Most landlords will want a bond and rent up front weather it be a house or a room your renting so put money aside for that
    There is plenty of work in Perth now but taking that into account ya might not get the job that you are best qualified or want but there certainly is work
    I got a job i had my heart set on but it cost me money due to certs and tickets that they required and i was 5 weeks waiting for the start but loving it now
    The west Australian,seek and Gumtree are the best way to find work but you need to be ringing for jobs at 7 in the morning if you want any chance of getting the start
    There is a serious rental house shortage in Perth so getting a house is hard especially if you have just landed so be prepared to sleep in hostels or on Friends floor whatever
    Lastly Perth is laid back,really is a lovely place to live no hussle and rushing that you may encounter in the East coast.
    Australia is what you make of it,if ya get stressed out in the first few weeks you going to frustrate yourself,just relax and things will fall into place,you will get work,develop a routine and reliase your in one of the most beuatiful places in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am back on the East coast and I am finding it calm as anything compared to Ireland.
    Its actually plain relaxing, apart from not being used to the heat and sweating in job interviews :)
    I swear I get funny looks when I am sitting in a reception area sweating my butt off in the lightest of suits when everyone is wandering around in coats and scarves.

Might take a bit of time to get back my heat resistance. Its only 22 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thanks for the post OP, im heading to Perth in September, will be there on the 2nd.

Advertisement