Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU vs GPU vs RAM for HD video editing

Options
  • 21-05-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Right, I posted a thread a while ago about a build I was planning but ended up not having the money as soon as I'd hoped. I've had a plenty of time to think since then and reevaluate my options.

I'm a bit confused on certain things though.

At the moment I have an E5400, 4GB RAM and a GT 220. It's been more than adequate for my needs up until this point, however very soon I plan on getting into a lot of high definition video processing at up to 60fps. My current setup, obviously, struggles pretty badly at this :(

So, my question is, which would be the more important component of my potential build for using programs like Adobe Premiere? If it's more CPU intensive, a 2500K setup (CPU, mobo, ram) would cost me around €350 and I wouldn't have the money to get a video card for a few weeks. Alternatively, I could go a cheaper AMD route along with a HD6870 if the video card is the more important component.

So, if anybody knows which component is the most important, could they suggest a relatively cheap build I could go for on Hardwareversand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I think in your case the graphics card is the bottleneck for HD stuff.
    Adobe Premiere uses GPU acceleration and the GT220 just isn't up to it.
    Have a look at the supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration list on Adobe Premiere's website;
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

My advice would be to get the best graphics card you can, now.
    It should greatly increase your workflow and would later on form the
    basis for a complete PC upgrade.
    Also doubling your RAM to 8GB may be a worthy upgrade.

Of course the ultimate would be a complete upgrade, but that's likely to
    cost €600-800 for an i5 2500k, m'board,RAM,Case,Fan and a top graphics card.

I can't comment on which graphics card to get as I'm not familiar with Premiere.
    I use Sony Vegas and it doesn't use GPU acceleration at all!
    Crazy!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It all depends on Premiere's support of Intel's AVX instruction set. Does Premiere support AVX? If yes, get the 2500K, no question. If no, I'd look into an NVIDIA card to utilise CUDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

99% sure its CUDA only, but google will tell you.

Its only really for real time previewing anyways, if you're not a big gamer a nice beast of a CPU is going to help the most with your overall computing, so thats where I'd look first.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Thanks guys, think I'll go for the 2500K and 8GB of RAM. :)

The list of GPU's compatible with Adobe Premiere is pretty short, and they're mostly expensive ones so I think I'll kick that down the road a bit and just start off with a decent base point. The GT220 will have to get me by for a few weeks at least :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

So, after throwing up a load of stuff on adverts I should have the money for my build either next week, or the one after. Hopefully, I'll be ordering the following;

i5-2500K
    Asus P8P67 Rev 3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3

Still unsure what graphics card to go with for the video editing though :/
    I'm not sure which would be better, an EVGA GTX 550-Ti 2048mb or an MSI GTX 560-Ti 1gb? Info on these, or any other suggestions for that matter would be welcome :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement