Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest food you have eaten?

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

When I was still in school I remember a teacher showing the class a jar of preserved rhubarb (i think) that had been in that jar for 24 years and said it would be grand to eat it.

I'm sure there must be some seriously old jars of jam here floating around the place, and honey too although that doesn't taste so good after a certain number of years.

Have a pot of icecream here from 2009 (or maybe that is the best before date) that I'm dieing to tear into once it warms up a small bit.

whats the oldest item of fooding you have eaten?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I had a 50 year old bottle of whiskey, well a glass from it, does that count?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i almost drank a bottle of guinness that was 23 years old. my grandfather found it at the back of a cupboard and proceeded to pour it down the kitchen sink. i couldnt believe what i was witnessing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Daegerty wrote: »
    When I was still in school I remember a teacher showing the class a jar of preserved rhubarb (i think) that had been in that jar for 24 years and said it would be grand to eat it.

I'm sure there must be some seriously old jars of jam here floating around the place, and honey too although that doesn't taste so good after a certain number of years.

Have a pot of icecream here from 2009 (or maybe that is the best before date) that I'm dieing to tear into once it warms up a small bit.

whats the oldest item of fooding you have eaten?

Good luck with that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I recently ate a 26 year-old badly packed kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i once took a swig out of a milk carton that had gone off 2 weeks previously.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

A badly packed kebab or a skin taco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Once ate some bread that was apparently over 2000 years old once. Bit stale..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

You just know a lady bits reference is on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

If they knew it was going to be around for the next 26 years you'd think they'd at least pack it properly

FearDark wrote: »
    A badly packed kebab or a skin taco?

Definitely Eastern Mediterranean on this occasion, but I've had Mexican of the same vintage. Also nice.

• Advertisement

ArtyM wrote: »

Surely not! Who would say such a thing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Haribo found them at back of press had been there ages yes I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ArtyM wrote: »

not aimed at you.

i ate "yore ma's gee" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

FatherLen wrote: »
    i once took a swig out of a milk carton that had gone off 2 weeks previously.

you mean eat dont you

does wine count for this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Once ate some bread that was apparently over 2000 years old once. Bit stale..

that was the body of christ you muppet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wine, it was something from 1974, apparently valuable, tasted absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I once found a peanut Lion bar I'd stashed and forgotten about in my wardrobe. Peanut Lion bars had been off the market for about two years at the time. It hurt me so much to throw it away, but it was all white :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Well played Daegerty, AH needs more posts like this!
    And I used cadburies coco powder last year, best before date was 1995. Tasted a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Breast milk. 31 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Boarded a bus at Stansted eating McD's chips -

Bus Driver: Where'd you get those?

Me: McDonalds

Bus Driver: There's no McDonalds at the airport

Me: There is in Kuala Lumpur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ate a thing call 1000 year old egg - Basically a black disguisting duck egg -

Though called thousand year old egg i believe it was just 1 or two months old

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

We brought a vintage bottle of wine back from France in '93, (it moved house many times over next few years,obviously not very well). We decided to have it on Millenium New Years Day, all the anticipation......for an expensive bottle of vinegar-the smell was putrid, would've ruined the day only it was funny.Luckily we had back up bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

I used to work in a yogurt factory a few years back, we were making a batch of organic yogurt but had run out of fresh organic cream for it, we did have some frozen stuff in a freezer but that was 3 years out of date, our lab manager tested it and decided it was 'safe' to use so use it we did, after defrosting it it turned out very, very lumpy, but still she said add it to the mix which we did, so, a 3000ltr batch(approx 60,000 pots) of organic yogurt was made, then packed then sold, needless to say nobody in the batch mixing department taste tested the mix, we left that up to the packing department....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

The atomic constituents of anything we eat are pretty much as old as the universe.Sell-by date that:pac:

Oh and as a back up trump card...honey out of the Egytian tombs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

army ration Garibaldi Biscuits that were about a decade out of date
    but obviously so full of preservatives they were perfectly fine
    "dead fly cemeteries" as the troops fondly call them :D

I once oven cooked a load of cuisine de France rolls for a dinner party
    whilst absolutely locko I made three of them into a "bread man" with M&M's for eyes,and rizlas for hair (stay with me here!) it looked deadly so i kept it!
    anyways he ended up on the mantle piece for about three years and they looked just as good to eat on the day I moved out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

punchdrunk wrote: »
    army ration Garibaldi Biscuits that were about a decade out of date
    but obviously so full of preservatives they were perfectly fine
    "dead fly cemeteries" as the troops fondly call them :D

I once oven cooked a load of cuisine de France rolls for a dinner party
    whilst absolutely locko I made three of them into a "bread man" with M&M's for eyes,and rizlas for hair (stay with me here!) it looked deadly so i kept it!
    anyways he ended up on the mantle piece for about three years and they looked just as good to eat on the day I moved out :eek:

and did you?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

cesc77 wrote: »
    and did you?:)

I bottled it :(

I was paranoid that whilst the exterior was a lovely golden brown,possibly the inside would now me filled with bees,angry bread hating,flesh hungry bees :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Saila wrote: »
    that was the body of christ you muppet :mad:

Unfortunate second name

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

An old biscuit I found down the back of my grannies couch..... collected 37p in old money aswell.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

Cans of Guinness and Bud which were a year out of date. I actually think the Bud tasted better :D

Advertisement