Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Hamlet questions do we predict in HL English

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Im doing William Shakespeares' "Hamlet" for my single text. Im wondering what do ye think will come up this year? it's been a while since Hamlet has been on. There's been hints that the question might slightly be a stranger question this year rather than just the typical character question ( which i would love it came up again.

See the thing is the rest of my paper 2 is up to an A standard for instance my comparative and most of my studied poetry. My hamlet character question is an A standard aswell. My teacher has been hinting that she thinks this year a theme question will come up which is awful for me because i just cant do it. the question is all over the place and unfocused. Its getting close to the exam and i dont have time to be restructuring and bringing it up to scratch. But if the general consensus is that a theme question probably will come up i'll dedicate time to doing it because i want an A in english.

Do we think that they'll put a character question on this year or have those days come and gone?? what is everyone else learning??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Well there's a choice of 2 questions, and there's nothing stopping them from putting up one of each; a character and a theme question.

Tbh, the theme of revenge is fairly straight forward, so see if you can get together a few points about that.

I'm fairly screwed though if appearance vs reality comes up as a theme question. I'm aiming for an A in this subject too, and I just can't get my head around that theme.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Well there's a choice of 2 questions, and there's nothing stopping them from putting up one of each; a character and a theme question.

Tbh, the theme of revenge is fairly straight forward, so see if you can get together a few points about that.

I'm fairly screwed though if appearance vs reality comes up as a theme question. I'm aiming for an A in this subject too, and I just can't get my head around that theme.:(

Same - i just hate all the themes questions and love the character ones haha ive started rewriting my revenge question and ive talked about Hamlet and Laertas but i dont know what to say about fortinbras.....i dont know whether he is brave and hot headed or just lucky or is he ultimately the same as Hamlet cause he never actually carries out revenge....im just going around in circles and its just this section of the question thats driving me up the wall!!!

How many different questions are ye learning? my teacher advises about three...I was going to learn Hamlet Char. Q and Revenge ( until i realised how bad my question was) and either role of women or Claudius question??

What do ye think??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

claudius a really likely candidate. mentioned a few times in departmental samples... never on the course since the intro of the new one though... worth doing the work on it

I think the role of women has been up before. :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong. But for that reason, I'd study Claudius instead of the women. He's never been up, so he's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Same - i just hate all the themes questions and love the character ones haha ive started rewriting my revenge question and ive talked about Hamlet and Laertas but i dont know what to say about fortinbras.....i dont know whether he is brave and hot headed or just lucky or is he ultimately the same as Hamlet cause he never actually carries out revenge....im just going around in circles and its just this section of the question thats driving me up the wall!!!

How many different questions are ye learning? my teacher advises about three...I was going to learn Hamlet Char. Q and Revenge ( until i realised how bad my question was) and either role of women or Claudius question??

What do ye think??

Don't learn essays. Make general essay plans for the characters and some of the themes eg deception/appearance vs reality, revenge, death, corruption. You'll never be able to write out the exact essay you've learnt in an exam, and it'll never be the same question, so it's a waste of time really. Also, if you try to fit a learnt off essay into another question, it could end up just looking awkward and irrelevant.

I hope deception/false appearance comes up... Most people hate it, but it's the best essay I've done, I think. :P Revenge would be good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Violafy wrote: »
    Don't learn essays. Make general essay plans for the characters and some of the themes eg deception/appearance vs reality, revenge, death, corruption. You'll never be able to write out the exact essay you've learnt in an exam, and it'll never be the same question, so it's a waste of time really. Also, if you try to fit a learnt off essay into another question, it could end up just looking awkward and irrelevant.

I hope deception/false appearance comes up... Most people hate it, but it's the best essay I've done, I think. :P Revenge would be good as well.

K ive gone and learnt hamelt and theme of revenge. See our teacher teaches the opposite and i must say shes a fantastic teacher she teaches us very well how to adapt our answers to any question by changing our opening statements of each paragraph and our closing one for each paragraph. I did it for my pre and did very well gettin 83% which is good for an english pre......besides i find it difficult to write my learnt off one in the given time so if had to make up a new one on the day id tke forever!

I think im gonna take yer advise and learn the claudius question:) Hope it pays off! If a woman comes up then im gonna have to pray to god that im able to write an answer in the given time haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ghillie2k4

i'm thinking mind is a continous battleground " question and possibly a women / claudius question

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

My predictions..

Essay - Theme of revenge
    Essay - Soliloquys
    Essay - Claudius
    Essay - Hamlet
    Essay - Appearence vs Reality

Learn off these and you'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

Iceboy wrote: »
    My predictions..

Essay - Theme of revenge
    Essay - Soliloquys
    Essay - Claudius
    Essay - Hamlet/ Hamlet's antic disposition

My teachers been hinting these as well as knowing either the prayer/mousetrap scene well...

Iceboy wrote: »
    My predictions..

Essay - Theme of revenge
    Essay - Soliloquys
    Essay - Claudius
    Essay - Hamlet

Now, this may sound like a really stupid question, but is this the same as the theme of deception? :o

Also, how would you structure an essay based on the theme of revenge/appearance vs reality? Hamlet was the very first thing I did in 5th year, so it's all a little blurry!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Now, this may sound like a really stupid question, but is this the same as the theme of deception? :o

Also, how would you structure an essay based on the theme of revenge/appearance vs reality? Hamlet was the very first thing I did in 5th year, so it's all a little blurry!:(

Now I'm not entirely sure but I'd say that you can bring it into your answer. For example hamlet decieves others into believing he's mad whereas in reality its an act or the court of elsinore appears to be noble but in reality it is corrupt.
    So you can probably bring deception in for the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

for that appearance vs reality, hamlet, Claudius, polonius, the ghost, the court would be your main points, minor thing would be things like the "threat" from Norway, ophelia in parts and maybe the duel at the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

I really would love

a) Hamlet's Madness
    b) Role of women
    c) Claudius as a villain
    d) theme of revenge

Role of women probably won't show, but I think one of the other 3 has great odds!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement