Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management co......grrrrrr

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Bought my house here October 2010, paid my management fee for the year when sale closed, have never heard anything from mngmt co since we moved in.....yesterday got a threatening letter in the post from them stating that we owe them a large sum of money dating back as far as 2007, WTF????? Obviously we cannot be liable for moneys owed when we didn't even own the house, and I don't take kindly to receiving threatening letters as an introductory.....anyone had similar experience???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

You may find that you are responsible, when our house was purchased the solicitor did checks on the house to make sure all fees were up to date, I presume your solicitor should have done the same.
    If fees are not paid then the management company can try to prevent sale of the house or transfer the debt to a new owner, this normally makes it hard to sell a house with fee debts on it as it would normally be checked by the purchaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Minka

Jimjay wrote: »
    You may find that you are responsible, when our house was purchased the solicitor did checks on the house to make sure all fees were up to date, I presume your solicitor should have done the same.
    If fees are not paid then the management company can try to prevent sale of the house or transfer the debt to a new owner, this normally makes it hard to sell a house with fee debts on it as it would normally be checked by the purchaser.

We were the first purchasers of this house (ie was owned by Durkan residential up until we bought) so solicitor would have had no need to check fee's unpaid etc when we purchased....anyway not a chance in hell that I'm paying arrears for a property that I wasn't living in at the time. TBH think i'm more annoyed that this was the first thing I heard from the management co., not a good start......

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Minka wrote: »
    We were the first purchasers of this house (ie was owned by Durkan residential up until we bought) so solicitor would have had no need to check fee's unpaid etc when we purchased....anyway not a chance in hell that I'm paying arrears for a property that I wasn't living in at the time. TBH think i'm more annoyed that this was the first thing I heard from the management co., not a good start......

If it's Wyse yes Ive had similar - we moved in and got a solicitors letter a week or so later and also adding solicitors charges plus interest to the bill because previous owner was late in paying - I just sent them back a letter saying I was refusing to pay the extra charges

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

The same thing happened to us when we bought our house, I just rang them saying I wasn't paying the previous owner's arrears and the accepted that. Though they were not very nice to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Bought my house here October 2010, paid my management fee for the year when sale closed, have never heard anything from mngmt co since we moved in.....yesterday got a threatening letter in the post from them stating that we owe them a large sum of money dating back as far as 2007, WTF????? Obviously we cannot be liable for moneys owed when we didn't even own the house, and I don't take kindly to receiving threatening letters as an introductory.....anyone had similar experience???

Have you managed to discuss this with the agent? You light look to consult the committee on this too. Explain your case to them and get it sorted out. There's something like 6-7 different management companies so I don't think there'll be many from the Court reading this with a 'similar experience'.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Jees, thats crap. wasnt very clear from your first email, i wouldnt blame you for being angry about that.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Have you managed to discuss this with the agent? You light look to consult the committee on this too. Explain your case to them and get it sorted out. There's something like 6-7 different management companies so I don't think there'll be many from the Court reading this with a 'similar experience'.

Yeah will ring them tomorrow and get it sorted out......was just wondering if this is the type of crap that they regularly try out on new customers.....thanks for replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

i believe the whole idea of management co is in dire need of regulation and believe that the contract should be put to tender every year,they seem to have everyone over a barrell,and feck that being "not nice to deal with" they are meant to be service providers which in my book means a degree of customer satisfaction should be paramount.
    some of them need a good kick up the arse for themselves,paying a ludicrous yearly fee for in some cases for feck all,im still angry at the company who looks after were our apartment is who havent finished roads,lighting,rarely keep grass,dont paint yearly etc etc,i have already filed numerous compliants with them and i am only short of going to find them face to face for a big row.
    give them hell thats what i say.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I would suggest you contact your solicitor who did your sale closing. They would have dealt with the management company re what you had to pay in the first place. They should be able to guide you on resolving this problem.

2.8trooper wrote: »
    i believe the whole idea of management co is in dire need of regulation
    Believe it or not there is now regulation in law. It is called the multi unit development act. It became law in march. I am not sure what is in it but I know it makes it easier to change the management company.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

2.8trooper wrote: »
    i believe the whole idea of management co is in dire need of regulation and believe that the contract should be put to tender every year,they seem to have everyone over a barrell,and feck that being "not nice to deal with" they are meant to be service providers which in my book means a degree of customer satisfaction should be paramount.
    some of them need a good kick up the arse for themselves,paying a ludicrous yearly fee for in some cases for feck all,im still angry at the company who looks after were our apartment is who havent finished roads,lighting,rarely keep grass,dont paint yearly etc etc,i have already filed numerous compliants with them and i am only short of going to find them face to face for a big row.
    give them hell thats what i say.:mad:

:) I fully intend on giving them hell

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

I agree with 20/10.... contact your solicitor first. There may have been a clause in your contract of sale stipulating you will pay all and any outstanding charges. Very unlikely, but may be there all the same. Have heard of worse things hidden in contracts.

I know on my closing in the Court my solicitor missed (or just didn't inform me of) all the stipulations regarding things like satellite dishes, notification for changes to back gardens etc. and of course i wasn't too happy on receipt of letters telling me to take down my dish. Just shows the solicitor may not have picked everything up.

Best of luck with it anyway, I know contract or not, I wouldn't be accepting someone else's debts, especially if they are debts belonging to the builder off whom you're buying the house to begin with.

Ok got it sorted, turns out my account with them is actually in credit, they said it was a generated letter that shouldn't have gone out, phew thought I may have had a battle on my hands.....anyway thanks all!

Ok got it sorted, turns out my account with them is actually in credit, they said it was a generated letter that shouldn't have gone out, phew thought I may have had a battle on my hands.....anyway thanks all!

Good to know - we should all be hassling them and our residents committees now that the MUD Act is law

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Good to know - we should all be hassling them and our residents committees now that the MUD Act is law

Surely it would make more sense to join a residents committee rather than "hassling" them :rolleyes:

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Surely it would make more sense to join a residents committee rather than "hassling" them :rolleyes:

"hassling" is probably too strong a word - contacting them to act on the MUD law is what I meant - ;)

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Love the thread, opens up with a rant about the Management Company and what a shower of feckers they are! No contact made at this point but sure we'll give them hell!

One phone call later and the OP actually gets excellent news and an apology!

All this could have been avoided by doing step 2 first :rolleyes:

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Love the thread, opens up with a rant about the Management Company and what a shower of feckers they are! No contact made at this point but sure we'll give them hell!

One phone call later and the OP actually gets excellent news and an apology!

All this could have been avoided by doing step 2 first :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Do you work for a management company RosieJoe???
    Point is I shouldn't have received any letter demanding imaginiary debt in the first place, as I received the letter on a friday I couldn't contact them over the weekend, just asked a simple question here while waiting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

:rolleyes: Do you work for a management company RosieJoe???
    Point is I shouldn't have received any letter demanding imaginiary debt in the first place, as I received the letter on a friday I couldn't contact them over the weekend, just asked a simple question here while waiting.......

I don't work for a Management Company. Just amazed that the first port of call was to come here and complain, regardless of not being able to contact them over the weekend.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I don't work for a Management Company. Just amazed that the first port of call was to come here and complain, regardless of not being able to contact them over the weekend.

This is a forum on charlesland and greystones, ie for discussing matters going on in the area, in fairness you'd be "amazed" at a lot of things being discussed on boards.ie.
    I still stand by the fact that I should not have had to worry for the few days about whether I was liable for a large debt that never existed and that this is my first dealing with the management company, not good customer service imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement