Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to anything while still in college

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Long story short:
    Im off for 4 months from college for summer,
    I work 1 day a week,
    I have to move out from family home soon,
    Will be moving in with someone who owns their house so wont have a rent book, but will have to still pay rent.
    Is there anything I can apply for? Signing on? Dole?
    While at home the only thing I was entitled to was a tiny grant, they basically paid my tuition fee at the start of the year but I actually got no money. I didnt start college as a mature student but Im over 23 now. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Shuriken wrote: »
    Long story short:
    Im off for 4 months from college for summer,
    I work 1 day a week,
    I have to move out from family home soon,
    Why?? It would make more sense to stay put until you are in a better financial situation.
    Will be moving in with someone who owns their house so wont have a rent book, but will have to still pay rent.
    They can still give you receipts. It's perfectly legal for a person to rent out a room in their home under the rent a room scheme without paying tax.
    Is there anything I can apply for? Signing on? Dole?
    No. You're a full time student.
    While at home the only thing I was entitled to was a tiny grant, they basically paid my tuition fee at the start of the year but I actually got no money. I didnt start college as a mature student but Im over 23 now. Is there anything I can do?
    You might be able to claim a bigger grant next year as you are no longer living at home.

But as for claiming benefits during the summer.. you can't. I suggest you stay at home or ask your employer for more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shuriken

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Why?? It would make more sense to stay put until you are in a better financial situation.

Ah I get less being at home, I support myself whether Im at home or not so I may aswell move and try get financial aid.
    But you're comment was very helpful! Thanks!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

as far as I know you wouldn't be entitled to anything as you're still considered a full time student.

Advertisement