Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Volcano Eruption in Iceland

• 21-05-2011 11:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13487858
    Iceland's most active volcano, Grimsvotn, has started erupting, scientists say.

The volcano, which lies under the Vatnajokull glacier in south-east Iceland, last erupted in 2004.

In 2010, plumes of ash from Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano caused weeks of air travel chaos across Europe.

Scientists say the latest eruption is unlikely to cause similar problems, although it may trigger localised flooding.

Volcanic eruptions are common in Iceland, which lies along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge that divides the Eurasian and North American continental plates.

Icelandic Meteorological Office geologist Hjorleifur Sveinbjornsson told Reuters that Grimsvotn had thrown a plume of white smoke about 15km (nine miles) into the air.

"It can be a big eruption, but it is unlikely to be like last year," he added.

Last year's outpouring of ash from Eyjafjallajokull led to the largest closure of European airspace since World War II.

About 10 million travellers were affected and some questioned whether the shutdown was an over-reaction.

However, a scientific study published last month said the safety concerns had been well founded.

Researchers from the University of Copenhagen and the University of Iceland said ash particles from the early part of the Eyjafjallajokull eruption were especially abrasive, posing a possible threat to aircraft.

It probably won't be as bad as the one in 2010 they think, the great ash disaster of Eyjafjallajokullajdajfhakjklollopops but I wonder might it cause some flights to be cancelled, it's only beginning. Although there are probably a good few smaller eruptions in Iceland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Eyjafjallajokullajdajfhakjklollopops

Are you absolutely sure that's how it was spelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

RAPTURE COMING

is this the end of the world? :D
    is it party time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it 6 o'clock by any chance in Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cml387 wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure that's how it was spelled?
    Of course he is, he mods Spell Czechs!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Pun for your lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

keep your damn eruptions to your own filthy forum :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its all just a bit of hot air.

I'll show my self out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Which branch of Iceland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

RAPTURE COMING

Exactly what i said earlier :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72347860&postcount=217

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Holidays in 2 weeks.Insurance bought just there including volcano ash disruption. Stick that in your volcano and smoke it Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Why is it Iceland that is always causing trouble with volcanos, travel disruption etc.??

Maybe if they got Kerry Katona to move up there for a while she could quieten them down with her "mums go to Icleand" crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

An eruption began at Grímsvötn volcano at approximately 17:30 UTC, May 21st 2011.
    Eruptions in Grímsvötn start as subglacial eruptions, which quickly break the ice cover. At 21:00 UTC, the eruption plume had risen to an altitude of over 65,000 ft (~20 km). Initially, the plume is expected to drift to the east and subsequently to the north. Thus, the ash is not expected to impact aviation in Europe, at least not during the first 24 hours.

Ahhh expected to drift far awayyy? It wont?
    ....Not expected to impact aviation in Europe etc :(

It will. Wont it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

'Local flooding might happen'. Would this be lava floods or water floods? And if water floods, how?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Kojak wrote: »

Maybe if they got Kerry Katona to move up there for a while she could quieten them down with her "mums go to Icleand" crap.

we could use her to plug the volcano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Yeah look I think it's about time we just got rid of iceland,what say ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Cue Harold Camping jumping out screaming 'I MEANT TOMORROW SERIOUSLY'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Fimm A Richter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

'Local flooding might happen'. Would this be lava floods or water floods? And if water floods, how?

Water. There's a great big glacier sitting on top of it that will melt from the heat. There are massive volcanic flood planes at the base from one of the last times it erupted and the road is on stilts so it won't have to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

Damn volcano better not ruin my summer of travel again!

Ah I suppose Drogheda and Prague are one and the same really :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Holidays and flights booked to Thailand for Friday...this volcano better not get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

been to iceland twice.... I LOVE ICELAND. ITS GREAT

been to iceland twice.... I LOVE ICELAND. ITS GREAT
    Your love wont stop the volcano now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

May 21, 2011ICELAND – Iceland’s Meteorological Office confirmed Saturday that an eruption had begun, and local media said smoke could be seen coming from the volcano. Grimsvotn lies under the uninhabited Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland. It last erupted in 2004. Scientists have been expecting a new eruption and have said previously that this volcano’s eruption will likely be small and should not lead to the air travel chaos caused in April 2010 by ash from the Eyjafjallajokul volcano. -USA Today

article-1380302-093DEE50000005DC-470_468x463.jpgHistory: Grímsvötn, Iceland’s most frequently active volcano in historical time lies largely beneath the vast Vatnajökull icecap. The caldera lake is covered by a 200-m-thick ice shelf, and only the southern rim of the 6 x 8 km caldera is exposed. The geothermal area in the caldera causes frequent jökulhlaups (glacier outburst floods) when melting raises the water level high enough to lift its ice dam. Long NE-SW-trending fissure systems extend from the central volcano. The most prominent of these is the noted Laki (Skaftar) fissure, which extends to the SW and produced the world’s largest known historical lava flow during an eruption in 1783. The 15-cu-km basaltic Laki lavas were erupted over a 7-month period from a 27-km-long fissure system. Extensive crop damage and livestock losses caused a severe famine that resulted in the loss of one-fifth of the population of Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

If the end of the world is nigh, why on Earth are we not all naked and in a big pile having sex with each other?

They have imposed a ban on local flights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13489944

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

ICE-land + extreme heat=?

I'm sure you can take it from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

If the end of the world is nigh, why on Earth are we not all naked and in a big pile having sex with each other?

YOU might not be, but my congregation and I on the other hand....are putting our other hand to good use.

Am no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Am no thanks

C'mon, it'll be fun!!!

C'mon, it'll be fun!!!
    I'll do it! Only if I can be the woman though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Heh, I remember this from the last time round:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I hate it too. Rip-off city. I try to avoid shopping there meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Ash Plume Reaches 50 Thousand Feet
    Plume can now be seen from Reykjavík

The ash plume rising from the Grímsvötn eruption under Vatnajökull glacier has reached a height of 50 thousand feet, according to Icelandic National Broadcasting Service RÚV. It can now reportedly be seen from Reykjaví

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Some MODIS Terra and Aqua fly-overs from earlier today:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?T111421300
    http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?A111421315

You can see Ireland and Scotland/England to the bottom of the Aqua image.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Holidays booked for the canaries for sat the 28th of may,.. I won't be going, will I?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

daithi09 wrote: »
    Holidays booked for the canaries for sat the 28th of may,.. I won't be going, will I?:(

Ah you will :) ... hopefully it wont be like last year, they are saying so far it wont so keep positive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Looks like Katla is showing signs of movement.

This is the mother of Icelandic Volcanoes.

Icelandic volcano even bigger than the one that shut down European air travel when it erupted in 2010 is showing signs of activity, scientists say

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/04/10/Huge-Iceland-volcano-showing-activity/UPI-86391334102799/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Icelandic volcano even bigger than the one that shut down European air travel when it erupted in 2010 is showing signs of activity, scientists say

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/04/10/Huge-Iceland-volcano-showing-activity/UPI-86391334102799/
    Shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hope they put a carbon tax on that volcano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Read this and stop fretting. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wish there was some way I could subscribe to Run_to_da_hills' posts, they're like a daily feed of what global catastrophes are currently trying to kill me. I can't wait to see what tomorrow's will be, my bet is a giant asteroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

out

icelandreview.com

link on volcanoes RHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You should change your reading matter to Eruptions Blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Iceland's most active volcano erupts

Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

No it isn't.

You seem to forget Katla erupted in 2011. Also, see this - http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/ - nowt out of the ordinary happening here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

testicle wrote: »
    No it isn't.

You seem to forget Katla erupted in 2011. Also, see this - http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/ - nowt out of the ordinary happening here...
    Talk To Andy Hooper, he's the expert. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement