Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it morally wrong to buy weed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd love a joint now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Is it morally wrong to buy weed?

If a person doesnt have an issue with something. It will never be morally wrong to them.
    Does your average person care if buying weed helps drug dealers/criminal gangs? ... No. They just care about their own interests. Weed in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

gladi8r wrote: »
    thats not funny

Weed out the jokesters and weed have a serious discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Weed Kills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

just grow your own. its effing easy.

allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nothing like sitting down with your fly girl and smoking the ganja, come on get with it OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Morals are for the week.
    But if you feel that strongly about where your hard earned cash is going to end up then just grow your own and then you know where the money went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Depends on who is judging your morals really.

I would say that buying weed is a transaction between two consenting adults, however, if you are buying to keep all to yourself then you should be forever damned to moist papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Its morally wrong not to buy weed.

Weed industry needs your support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Show Time wrote: »
    Morals are for the week.
    But if you feel that strongly about where your hard earned cash is going to end up then just grow your own and then you know where the money went.

Any particular one? Or the whole 52?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Show Time wrote: »
    Morals are for the week.
    So it's at the weekend you party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

chucken1 wrote: »
    Any particular one? Or the whole 52?:confused:

First one, like new years resolutions. Try to be good for one week and to hell with the rest of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

i'm just saying that the drug feuds are mainly caused by people fighting over territory in which to sell drugs to us.

Then campaign against money and the people that use it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

obviously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SprayonCrayons

Well it depends on what your morals are, morals are developed by each individual. I for one do not think it's wrong at all, I buy from my cousin who grows to self medicate her MS.

I feel it's almost ("Almost" because although you can't develop a physical addiction I do believe you can develop a psychological one, as in you feel like you need it, but that can happen from overindulgence in pretty much anything) completely harmless when, as with all things, used in moderation.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea why cannabis is illegal at all, have you ever heard of anyone smoking too much weed, going home and beating his wife and kids like with alcohol? Have you ever heard of anyone ODing on weed? It's not like everybody in Amsterdam are all dying and commiting crimes because they can smoke it over there! In Ireland the law say it's illegal but not why it's illegal. Seems kinda strange to me. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SprayonCrayons

BTW any gardaí reading this, I'm completely lying marijuana is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wrong and I only wrote that for "amusement purposes only" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Aside from respiratory stuff, it has some effect on memory and possibly motor skills later on, particularly if used from a relatively young age.

It may also have a link with mental illnesses related to paranoia, but I think the correlation/ causation thing is still up for grabs on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 udonwannado

Aside from respiratory stuff, it has some effect on memory and possibly motor skills later on, particularly if used from a relatively young age.

It may also have a link with mental illnesses related to paranoia, but I think the correlation/ causation thing is still up for grabs on that one.

Gets you pretty stoned too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

And that's before we even go into the inevitable toll of all those California Cheeseburgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If the government wasn't moronic enough to ban people from experiencing a totally victimless sensation then we wouldn't have this scenario in the first place. Drugs laws are the ultimate expression of the nanny state. My body, I can put whatever the f*ck I want into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Sure is a lot of people in here trying to justify their illegal addiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

But not really any moreso than buying:
    1) mobile phones or laptops (conflict minerals)
    2) the produce of certain multinationals who operate in countries like Columbia where Trade Unionists are routinely murdered by death squads.
    3) the produce of certain countries (Israel, China and many others)
    4) Oil or anything produced from oil (i.e. just about everything)

If you are troubled by the ethical implications of buying weed you do have some options
    1) Abstain
    2) Grow your own
    3) Only buy directly from people you know who grow it.

Unfortunately when it comes to legal products there arent as many alternative options open to you.

The argument of whether it's more important not to be a hypocrite than immoral is for another thread, but with legal products there is a system of regulation with at least some level of transparency that is answerable to international law.

By nature the illegal drugs trade on the other hand is always going to be operating outside the law, where there is zero chance for regulation, transparency or trade unionists, and where it is entirely based on exploitation and corruption. 100% of the money you give is going straight back in to that system to support it.

If people don't have strong moral feelings about it than it's fine, but the ease of brushing off the moral implications by saying it's no worse than buying a mobile phone or a laptop is a bit of a cheap cop-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

The law is immoral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

If the government wasn't moronic enough to ban people from experiencing a totally victimless sensation then we wouldn't have this scenario in the first place. Drugs laws are the ultimate expression of the nanny state. My body, I can put whatever the f*ck I want into it.
    Yes your body you can put what you like in it but whos going to pay for the hospitals you will need when you develop chronic respiratory problems? Or a paranoia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Reguardless of the argument around the law itsself. If something is against the law then the guards have the duty to enfore it.

What of the Dutch Gedoogbeleid (Tolerance) policy ?
    Toleration
    Tolerance policy is the policy of a governing body for violations of a law not to prosecute. It renounces the use of enforcement resources. Tolerance may result from the inability of enforcement agencies to enforce certain laws, but also a conscious choice as a law or its enforcement is seen as not useful, while an amendment or repeal of the law in politically sensitive .
    Tolerance may actively or passively happen. The active or explicit acquiescence in a tolerance Decision. Is issuing an order tolerance is not possible then one can tolerate official. In passive or tacit acquiescence, the governing body aware of an offense, but take no action and does not occur.
    [ edit ] Soft drugs policy

The drug policy in the Netherlands is the best example of a tolerance. Formally, anyone in possession of more than five grams of hashish or marijuana offense, but the police does not act against the trade in soft drugs taking place in existing coffeeshops . In this way one tries to maintain a separation between trading soft - and hard drugs . In this way they try out the soft drugs to keep the crime. Possession of up to five plants in the garden is often not prosecuted, but the plants can be impounded.
    A change in the tolerance can be seen, the number of coffee shops fell from 884 in 1999 to 666 in 2009. There are 101 municipalities with coffee shops. There are 105 municipalities that have a shop permit. In four municipalities, there is no shop, but who would fit into the policy. Over 2 / 3 of the municipalities has a zero policy. Almost 1 / 4 uses a maximum policy.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedoogbeleid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yes your body you can put what you like in it but whos going to pay for the hospitals you will need when you develop chronic respiratory problems? Or a paranoia?

A paranoia??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

buy weed online. better quality, better deals, better for your morals. if weed affects said morals, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

considering you are probably giving the money to thugs who murder people and terrorize neighborhoods, is it wrong in your opinion to buy weed?

when i talk about these "thugs" I am talking about the people on top who import the weed not the small time dealers who sell it to you

Supporting the US or buying from its corporations is probably equivalently supporting war efforts killing millions.

So, I don't think buying weed is immoral but buying weed that supports murder, terrorism etc. probably is morally wrong. I'd rather just see it legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

bc dub wrote: »
    buy weed online. better quality, better deals, better for your morals. if weed affects said morals, that is.

eh link? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Although I believe the poster you quoted is completely narrow he does make some decent point.

Should we ban motorbikes, cigarettes, alcohol, high walls and anything else dangerous to health?

Advertisement