Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it morally wrong to buy weed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

DeVore wrote: »
    Wait... what?
    These two words must make up over half of all stoner conversations ever.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Seachmall wrote: »
    Of course the negative health affects with regards to weed are debatable but I'm sure we can all agree that inhaling any burning material will not be good for your health (and weed is most commonly smoked).
    use a bong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

use a bong

I assume you mean a vaporizer but even when prices come down for the decent ones people will never stop smoking. There's a tradition there, there's just something about rolling joints and smoking them with friends that can't be beat with vaporizers or brownies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Seachmall wrote: »
    I assume you mean a vaporizer but even when prices come down for the decent ones people will never stop smoking. There's a tradition there, there's just something about rolling joints and smoking them with friends that can't be beat with vaporizers or brownies.
    Either or.
    Yeah, I do agree with you though, people like their joints
    (Don't smoke myself, but have many friends who do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does anyone, anyone at all, believe that legalising weed would increase it's usage??

Because to believe that you would have to believe that anyone who wants it is somehow finding it difficult to get at the moment.

Bwahahaha.

DeV.
    I don't know, I'm sure there would be a temporary increase at least. With it legal you will have more trying it out and it may become a popular fad at the very least.
    I could see older people that have had enough with the drinking scene being a group that could easily switch their sociable weekend drug over to cannabis if there's a public outlet for it's use.

But they are all recreational drug users that would be just switching their minimum weekend use to cannabis in stead of alcohol.

I don't think overuse use will go up much. Most people would have tried cannabis by the time their 30 and are already using it daily.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The idea that there is a limited supply of weed is ridiculous. In fact legalising it would actually make it LESS accessible.

Consider, the shops would have regulated closing hours like bars. Right now I know mates of mine who can make a phonecall at 3am and have weed DELIVERED to them. Try doing that with booze!

The illegal supply would crash (and as a happy bi-product would destroy the sales of harder drugs with it.... since weed is by far and away the most sold drug and accounts for the majority of drug dealers money). Like any business, if the government stepped in and supplied your primary product... you'd go out of business too!!

Finally, I consult a lot with the health industry. The stats for booze are that we spend 4 Billion a year on booze-related health issues (and thats before the social issues it brings with it). 2 Billion a year on cigarette related issues. And on all other drug related health issues across all other drugs? 400 Million.

If you think that anyone who even considered trying it hasnt had a dozen opportunities before they are 18... you're high :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Shulgin wrote: »
    Sarah Palin: “I think we need to prioritize our law-enforcement efforts. And if somebody’s gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else harm, then perhaps there are other things our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society.”

Holy SH!T. This from the woman who preaches public sexual morality?!

The idea that there is a limited supply of weed is ridiculous. In fact legalising it would actually make it LESS accessible.

Consider, the shops would have regulated closing hours like bars. Right now I know mates of mine who can make a phonecall at 3am and have weed DELIVERED to them. Try doing that with booze!
    That's not really the norm unless your in with a drug dealer and living in a city. I know in other countries the dealer comes to you as it's much safer and he'll then know where to find you but it's not that easy outside of a city.

Industrial growing of weed would mean much more product available should it be needed, they would meet demand.
    The illegal supply would crash (and as a happy bi-product would destroy the sales of harder drugs with it.... since weed is by far and away the most sold drug and accounts for the majority of drug dealers money). Like any business, if the government stepped in and supplied your primary product... you'd go out of business too!!
    If you think that anyone who even considered trying it hasnt had a dozen opportunities before they are 18... you're high :)

DeV.
    I know plenty of the older generations that won't try it because of the law. My mother has said time and time again she'd love to try it and had the opportunity when she was young but was too afraid and still has that fear. Others only tried it while drunk at a party, for anyone that's been to Amsterdam it's a completely different feeling smoking legally in a public establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Right now I know mates of mine who can make a phonecall at 3am and have weed DELIVERED to them

any chance of a number :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Auvers wrote: »
    any chance of a number :cool:

Many cannabis users are so dependent on their weed that they cannot sleep without it. Hence the 3 a.m. calls and they claim its harmless.

Many cannabis users are so dependent on their weed that they cannot sleep without it. Hence the 3 a.m. calls and they claim its harmless.

I've been without green for over a week and i havent slept for a week

Edit - I lie, i sleep like a baby regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I've been without green for over a week and i havent slept for a week

Absolutely wrong, only supporting illegal activity.

Your slip of nuggs will do no good for the state. only support the illegal economy.

Your slip of nuggs will do no good for the state.

come again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yes, because the only people who stay awake after 11pm for social reasons are chronic junkies. No sane and reasonable person would risk missing early morning mass just to relax with some friends the nigth before.

Watch out kids! Gangja is highly addictive and can result in such life-threatening side-effects as occasionally having something to do if you want to stay up late and chill with some friends or by yourself or whatever. Obviously anyone mixed up in this nonsense is pure scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

AH bless the child of the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Your slip of nuggs will do no good for the state. only support the illegal economy.

Nuggs isn't a word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tell me more Granddad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deano86

country is backward, money that is spent on weed in this country is unreal average price atm is 50euro for 2 grams of proper weed, if it was legalised the state could take in alot of profit, or even decrimanilize and free up some court space for real crimes and save on wasted charges on judges and garda time. under the influence iv seen more people start trouble ect drunk than those stoned. too many people think its illegal its wrtong end of story. but realistically alot of people smoke it including alot of well educated ones who know all ins and outs, pros and cons.

i think if more young people done it instead of drinking wed have alot less unwanted pregnancys too LOL more savings to the state :D

deano86 wrote: »
    country is backward, money that is spent on weed in this country is unreal average price atm is 50euro for 2 grams of proper weed

Woah Deano you're paying 50 euro for 2 grams? you're been ripped off old chum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

gladi8r wrote: »
    considering you are probably giving the money to thugs who murder people and terrorize neighborhoods, is it wrong in your opinion to buy weed?

when i talk about these "thugs" I am talking about the people on top who import the weed not the small time dealers who sell it to you

This is a good reason to grow a few small plants of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing hits home like truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

gladi8r wrote: »
    considering you are probably giving the money to thugs who murder people and terrorize neighborhoods, is it wrong in your opinion to buy weed?

when i talk about these "thugs" I am talking about the people on top who import the weed not the small time dealers who sell it to you

Yes. And I wouldn't go differentiating the "small time dealers" either.

I wouldn't go check out John Gilligan's pub in Spain for the exact same reason.

I don't - knowingly - support criminals.

No objection to it being legalised, and no real thought on whether I'd then use it or not (since it seems to have a few genuine medical plusses, I don't think anyone could) but supporting thugs ? No way!

deano86 wrote: »
    country is backward, money that is spent on weed in this country is unreal average price atm is 50euro for 2 grams of proper weed,
    Jesus, why do people pay those prices? They only get away with those kind of prices in Ireland and it's one of the reasons the price of cannabis would go down a lot should it be made legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ridiculous assumption

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've smoked during my life, I wont lie. (I dont now).

I wouldnt say its harmless, its not (imho and experience). It is however, considerably less risky than many other recreations we allow and engage in. Sailing, for example, is one of the most dangerous sports in existance. When I wrote software for insurance companies, being a sailor would nearly double your premium. (Tons of back trauma, drownings etc).

We allow people to engage in sailing even though they KNOW the risks. We still treat them in hospital because we understand that all life is risk in some form.

Smoking a joint is a pretty low risk relatively. Harm free? No... but nothing is.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Smoking a joint is a pretty low risk relatively. Harm free? No... but nothing is.

But the thread's angle is whether you would have bought the sailboat from a criminal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But the thread's angle is whether you would have bought the sailboat from a criminal ?

By it's very definition anyone you buy weed from is a 'criminal'.

I would feel no more guilty buying weed from a criminal than I would buying petroleum, knowing some Iraqis have died to enable it's flow into my petrol tank, or buying electronic goods containing coltan, knowing that x amount of women are raped everyday in the war for resources in the Congo.

I should, perhaps, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

OP; It is/isn't, depending on how you base your morals.
    I think its morally wrong to deny the public access to legally vended cannabis.
    And moreso, prohibiting John Q from growing a plant or two for himself is morally wrong on the state's part.

The issue seriously needs to be looked at, fair enough prohibition is in place, and it could be said that a majority would like it to stay that way. I would say that the majority are uneducated on the effects and uses and nature of cannabis, Mostly due to the scare tactics instilled by the curtain twitchers and high-horse ridin' folk of yore. Mainly the prohibition leaders of the world in the last century - The U.S.A. - they jump, the western world ripples with them. (However they are finally seeing sense themselves, and have waved the white flag of surrender to the futile "war on drugs" - well some of them anyway)

Back to Ireland: The Gardai and D.S. find a bit here and there, they do what they're told to do, and I have no issue with that, but, they will never stop the flow, they can try and try to kill the supply but they will never kill the demand.. And as business works: As long as people want it, our budding entrepreneurs will find a way to get it, and sell it to them, untaxed, unregulated and so on.

I think a complete re-hash of the system is in order, But, where do we start?
    Pro-cannabis marches are a joke,
    Luke Flanagan is laughed at in the Dail and the media,
    Anyone with a pro-cannabis view is quickly silenced and ignored...

How do you educate a country where views are so narrow on the subject?
    Prohibition won't be lifted until the masses understand the facts of the matter...

It's the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality that prevails.. Even though there is a GIANT WHITE MAMMOTH in the corner of the room.

if ye pull me up on the mammoth thing, ya can fook off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Ah ignorance in it's most dangerous form, have you met these people out of curiosity? You know many people suffer from insomnia? I know more people that have never smoked weed that barely get any sleep than people who smoke cannabis almost everyday that can't sleep when they have none.
    Infact i don't know a single one... and i've known a lot of people that smoke it everyday. I was smoking cannabis everyday for about a year and i had a great time, was able to relax in the evening when i got home, i didn't have any health problems and i wasn't having any problems with my weight lifting or education, in fact there were a few weeks during that year that i couldn't get any but i was just fine.
    Then i just stopped the regular smoking and guess what?! Nothing happened.
    From my personal experience weed is harmless, as long as you don't smoke it with cigarettes your lungs will be just fine. (and that's also stated in every serious medical study ever done on cannabis... look it up if you don't believe me)

Advertisement