Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it morally wrong to buy weed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I actually mediate in disputes wherever i can.

That's not an answer.

Do you or do you not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »
    I'd say it's affecting him more.

Ever drank homebrew?

Never shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I do my best to buy Fair Trade products and those people with dark skin share in the profits.

The non-dark skinned rice producers in Thailand thank you......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I don't buy the illegal=immoral argument. See: contraception, homosexuality, blasphemy etc, you get the point. So please no one try and bring legality into a question of morality.

I do my best to buy Fair Trade products and those people with dark skin share in the profits.

Do your best to? Or always do no matter what and go without any product that isn't fair trade or guaranteed to have no harmful effect on others?

Never shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If you are not part of the cure, then you are part of the problem.

Etc. etc...

• Advertisement

That's not an answer.

Do you or do you not?

Of course i am against those things but i always bow to people who are the experts and are within the law.

strobe wrote: »
    I don't buy the illegal=immoral argument. See: contraception, homosexuality, blasphemy etc, you get the point. So please no one try and bring legality into a question of morality.

Try to? Or always do no matter what and go without any product that isn't fair trade or guaranteed to have no harmful effect on others?

Scouts honour.

Of course i am against those things but i always bow to people who are the experts and are within the law.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/gallery/cowen-apology-slide-show/711-brian-cowen-tg4-launch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Read any of the articles, books etc from Dr Desmond Corrigan who has spent his life telling people about the dangers of cannabis.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0218/breaking65.html

He's a single doctor, have you read any serious scientific studys that have been done in the last 10 years that say cannabis is dangerous? If so please produce them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I think you need to play this one by ear.

• Advertisement

Of course i am against those things

So you're against people using violence to kick down peoples doors, kidnapp them and deprive them of their liberty because they smoke weed.

If you're not then you are for violence, bullying, coercion, kidnapp, and imprisonment.

It's as simple as that.

/thread.

Scouts honour.

That didn't answer the question though.

Do you do your best to buy fair trade?

Or

Do you refuse to use any product that isn't fair trade or that is produced by an industry which sometimes harms people in some way?

One or the other. They're not the same.

Laisurg wrote: »
    He's a single doctor, have you read any serious scientific studys that have been done in the last 10 years that say cannabis is dangerous? If so please produce them.

He is not the only one. There are many studies as this report will explain
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6917003.stm

That paper isn't a cannabis study, it's done by one doctor, using 2nd hand information, to be honest i'm curious why you think cannabis is so evil? It's been proved to have no physical addiction and the psychological addiction is quite weak, uncommon and does not require treatment, do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Weed is like alcohol its only a matter of time before its legal and until then there will be hash versions of Al Capone, although not as classy just scum. Its not morally wrong to buy weed if YOU choose to smoke it. Legalisation wont get rid of the scum but would see the money spend on it taxed and go to the government, as we import it from Bolivia by the bucket loads :cool:

That didn't answer the question though.

Do you do your best to buy fair trade?

Or

Do you refuse to use any product that isn't fair trade or that is produced by an industry in which people sometimes get harmed in some way?

One or the other. They're not the same.

I actually grow most of what i need. I buy Fair Trade coffee etc and my meat comes from my local butcher who raises it himself since the mad cow business.

There is no point in trying to find fault with me and the rules of this board is to attack the post if necessary and not insult the poster. After all i am just trying to inform you all of the dangers of that substance. I didn't even go into the deaths it caused through gangland drug selling. Its the product itself that i am attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

That paper isn't a cannabis study, it's done by one doctor, using 2nd hand information, to be honest i'm curious why you think cannabis is so evil? It's been proved to have no physical addiction and the psychological addiction is quite weak, uncommon and does not require treatment, do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes by any chance?

yes but those are the lovely taxable addictions

He is not the only one. There are many studies as this report will explain
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6917003.stm

All the studies have found an association and it seems appropriate to warn members of the public about the possible risk

Professor Glyn Lewis
    Report author

Repeat after me "Correlation does not equal causation"

I didn't even go into the deaths it caused through gangland drug selling. Its the product itself that i am attacking.

The product did not cause any gangland drug selling deaths......... the prohibition did.
    Same thing happened in alcohol prohibition times.
    You don't see many gangland alcohol selling deaths in the USA since prohibition ended, do you.

Heres another one for you published in the British Journal of Psychiatry.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8386344.stm

Its the product itself that i am attacking

If you support the criminalisation of weed you are attacking every single person who smokes it.

You're threatening them with:

criminal records
    Tresspass
    Kidnap
    Violence
    Imprisonment.

I think you'll find that it is you who supports the attacking of people.

• Advertisement

Heres another one for you published in the British Journal of Psychiatry.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8386344.stm

"But they say cannabis, and particularly stronger skunk, should be considered a potential health hazard in a similar way to alcohol. "

Time to swear off the Guinness so.
    But....but ...but... Obama drank a potential health hazard in a similar way to cannabis.

Its the product itself that i am attacking.

Ah sure everyone knows it's not entirely harmless, very little is. But too many packets of crisps will fukk you up worse, too much salt and fat. No point attacking the product with a username like yours, my friend (fair trade, homegrown all organic tayto as well I suppose, right?).

However the theme of the thread is 'Is it morally wrong to buy weed?' so that's the question I was engaging with. Drop me a PM if you get on topic anytime soon and I'll be sure to drop back in and tear your arguments to shreds when I get time.

If you support the criminalisation of weed you are attacking every single person who smokes it.

You're threatening them with:

criminal records
    Tresspass
    Kidnap
    Violence
    Imprisonment.

I think you'll find that it is you who supports the attacking of people.

Not if its done within the LAW. People who break the laws of the country subject themselves to the above by breaking it. Simple. You are either for or against the LAW. You cannot pick and choose which laws to obey.

I actually grow most of what i need. I buy Fair Trade coffee etc and my meat comes from my local butcher who raises it himself since the mad cow business.

There is no point in trying to find fault with me and the rules of this board is to attack the post if necessary and not insult the poster. After all i am just trying to inform you all of the dangers of that substance. I didn't even go into the deaths it caused through gangland drug selling. Its the product itself that i am attacking.

If cannabis is so dangerous then why didn't i experience any adverse effects when i was smoking it heavily? Or any of the other people i know who smoke it, it appears that you believe that cannabis has some negative properties from what you've read and i'm not bothered trying to convince you otherwise, however no has EVER died as a result of smoking cannabis, ever, many people die all over the world each year as a result of alcohol and tobacco.

I'm going to approach this from a different angle, first of all kids currently smoke quite a lot of cannabis and it's not hard for them to get, easier than alcohol in fact, anyone that has been through school knows this, dealers don't ask for id and i assure you they do not have any problem selling to kids, if cannabis was legalized and regulated then it would certainly be harder for kids to get their hands on.

Gangland crime and violence involving cannabis is a direct result of it being illegal, if it was made legal it would save money and actually make money for the state and we currently need all the money we can get.

Not if its done within the LAW. People who break the laws of the country subject themselves to the above by breaking it. Simple. You are either for or against the LAW. You cannot pick and choose which laws to obey.

You know about 90 years ago women were not allowed to vote? an unjust law is an unjust law, just because something is the law doesn't make it right.

Ah sure everyone knows it's not entirely harmless, very little is. But too many packets of crisps will fukk you up worse, too much salt and fat. No point attacking the product with a username like yours, my friend.

However the theme of the thread is 'Is it morally wrong to buy weed?' so that's the question I was engaging with. Drop me a PM if you get on topic anytime soon and I'll be sure to drop back in and tear your arguments to shreds when I get time.

I will stick to this board. This is the forum. My argument is that its illegal and harmful.
    However if people are given the information and make the choice to keep or break the laws of the country and choose the latter then its their own doing. Cannabis is deemed a dangerous drug and as such is illegal. I know many young people who were refused visas to go to the U.S.A., Canada and Australia due to them having a conviction for possession of cannabis. I haven't even got into that end of it until now.

I actually grow most of what i need.

Do you grow your own potatoes?

You said you were against violence bullying and coercion.

If you are then you should also be against laws which threaten people who choose to smoke a plant that they could grow in their back yards; as victimless a crime as you could concieve.

I'll ask you the question again.

Are you against violence, bullying, and coercion?

You cannot answer 'yes' if you support the criminalisation of weed.

If you answer no you are pro violence.

So who is the criminal again?

You said you were against violence bullying and coercion.

If you are then you should also be against laws which threaten people who choose to smoke a plant that they could grow in their back yards; as victimless a crime as you could concieve.

I'll ask you the question again.

Are you against violence, bullying, and coercion?

You cannot answer 'yes' if you support the criminalisation of weed.

If you answer no you are pro violence.

My reply seems to have been lost.
    Force when its within the law is sometimes necessary. Thats why we have armies and police forces. If you are the subject of a raid because you are breaking the law then you have brought it on yourself. Sorry but they are the facts. Laws are laws and we cannot pick and choose which ones we want to obey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Laws are laws and we cannot pick and choose which ones we want to obey.
    Laws are supposed to be an enforced representation of a society's morals, or at least the majority of those in the society. If laws are too slow to catch up with those morals they are insignificant and will eventually be overturned.

My point is that laws do become irrelevant even if they are still technically laws. In these instances the majority pick and choose which laws to obey. Laws are only relevant as long as people want them enforced.

Of course this doesn't really relate to cannabis but your "Laws are Laws" idea is too simplistic and not realistic, people have been picking and choosing laws for centuries, it's what causes social and legal advancements.

Advertisement