Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Cheap Sofa Cushions

Options
  • 21-05-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I have a wooden framed sofa in my rented house kinda like this: http://hawaiidiscountfurniture.com/index.php/site/cat/C38/ (sixth one down)
    but older and i need new cushions for it because the old ones are filthy, old and possibly slightly infested! My landlady said she'll pay for new ones if I find some but I doubt she'll be willing to fork out very much.

The sofa is almost 6ft wide, 2ft deep and the back(where the cushions would be for your back) is about 2ft high.

I was originaly thinking a futon would be perfect but that's about €150 (which, i know isn't that bad for a futon) and I was thinking cheaper. I wouldn't know where to start finding a full set of cushions with no sofa or how much it would cost.

Can anyone help me?

P.S. I live in Galway city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Hi Spacecake

Is the problem with the covers or the actual cushions or both? Could the sofa cushions and covers not be washed or sent to professional laundrette or dry cleaners??

If they are too bad for washing then I would suggest you start by calling into a few furniture shops and just ask about replacement cushions for the sofa. They may be able to suggest suitable places to find some. Take measurements with you so that your prepared. They should steer you in the right direction.

HOWEVER, I'm very worried by the word "INFESTED". You say the cushions may be "filthy and infested" ! Infested with what??
    think your landlord is passing the buck here! If the sofa is infested, it is a health and safety issue and the landlord should be sorting this problem and replacing the cushions/sofa themselves and not leaving it up to you. I realise that you probably do not want any hassle with your landlord but I think perhaps you should consult with Threshold about this issue. And don't think its a money thing for your landlord - they get tax breaks for fittings/fixtures/repairs/improvements to rental properties so the landlord really doesnt have any excuse!!

Anyways, good luck with this issue and I hope you get it sorted ASAP!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spacecake

Thanks for your reply miss c. I think 'infested' might have been too strong a word. I kept getting what looked like insect bites and i couldn't find where they were coming from. I searched everywhere and scrubbed everything but couldn't find a thing however they eventually went away. It's possible they could have been from midges outside but i got bites on days i didn't go out at all or it could have been an allergy but i don't think so. Other people in my house didn't get bitten at all.
    When we moved in there were two sofas: a leather one and the old one in question now. The landlady said if we wanted she could remove the old one as it was a bit of an eyesore but we decided to keep it for the extra seating. On my mad cleaning spree I decided to take the covers off the cushions and wash them, intending to wash the cushions too but they were so ragged and discoloured I decided to abandon them in the shed and ask the landlady to just take the sofa or something. It was she who suggested getting the new cushions insted if they were a reasonable price, otherwise she could just take the whole thing away but i think it would be a shame to lose the whole thing when all it needs is cushions.
    I suppose the best thing would be to call around the local furniture places and get an idea of what the pricing is like. If getting cushions is cheaper i'll do that, if it costs a bomb i'd say the landlady would be happy to get the futon instead. I was mainly just wondering what the normal price range for these things is.

Phew! that was a long post!

Advertisement