Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating a Leaving Cert Subject

• 21-05-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi..i'm doing my lc in june and i'm worried about my maths exam..im doing ol and im pretty sure im going to fail..anyone have any thoughts on what to do afterwards ie.repeat the entire lc or just maths because ive accepted now that im gonna fail maths.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Alv_M wrote: »
    ive accepted now that im gonna fail maths.

Why? Theres still time to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

I know but im that bad that im afraid it still wont be enough to get the pass...im debating whether to try and pass now or forget it and focus on my other subjects then repeat maths next year and get into a course after that

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Are you sure you know how hard it is to fail maths? The only way to do it is to leave questions blank.
    If you can do the (a) parts and get attempt marks for (b) and (c)s, you can get 44%, which leaves you a little leeway for a few mistakes in the (a)s and maybe accidently getting something right in (b) and (c).

Maths next year will be a little different as you will have to sit some Project Maths, which is something to bear in mind. Also, you have less than a month to face up to scraping 40% in maths. You obviously dislike the subject - don't commit yourself to spending another whole year at it!

Just don't write yourself off before you've even done the exam. You have July and August to come up with back up plans. Don't give up on passing maths yet!

Are you sure you know how hard it is to fail maths? The only way to do it is to leave questions blank.
    If you can do the (a) parts and get attempt marks for (b) and (c)s, you can get 44%, which leaves you a little leeway for a few mistakes in the (a)s and maybe accidently getting something right in (b) and (c).

Maths next year will be a little different as you will have to sit some Project Maths, which is something to bear in mind. Also, you have less than a month to face up to scraping 40% in maths. You obviously dislike the subject - don't commit yourself to spending another whole year at it!

Just don't write yourself off before you've even done the exam. You have July and August to come up with back up plans. Don't give up on passing maths yet!

The only question i can answer is Q1 on paper 1..after that its a disaster..i got 30% in my mock exam...Do u have any specific questions you'd reccommend i focus on that you think are easiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

30% to 40% is a much easier leap than 85% to 90%! There's so much room for improvement. :D

q1 is not the easiest question by any means - if you can do that, you're probably well able to figure out the others!

Paper one - sequences and series, complex numbers are all pretty easy, and the (a) and (b) parts of q6,7,8 are very repetitive.
    Paper two - area and volume - know how to plug numbers into formula given in the table book! The same for the a and b parts of coord geometry. Probablity can be the easiest question in the world if you have the knack for it - steer clear otherwise because it's harder to pick up those Attempt 3s!
    Stats can give you a lot of marks for reading/drawing graphs, which just require a little bit of practice and not much mathematical ability, and the same with Q11 option.

The most important thing is to ATTEMPT EVERYTHING. So don't focus on one particular question - do the (a) parts of all of them!

Here's a minimum study plan:
    Take a week and work your way through 12 (a) parts for two whole papers.
    and next week try the (b) parts of a whole paper, and the (a) parts of another one. Then pass. :)

• Advertisement

30% to 40% is a much easier leap than 85% to 90%! There's so much room for improvement. :D

q1 is not the easiest question by any means - if you can do that, you're probably well able to figure out the others!

Paper one - sequences and series, complex numbers are all pretty easy, and the (a) and (b) parts of q6,7,8 are very repetitive.
    Paper two - area and volume - know how to plug numbers into formula given in the table book! The same for the a and b parts of coord geometry. Probablity can be the easiest question in the world if you have the knack for it - steer clear otherwise because it's harder to pick up those Attempt 3s!
    Stats can give you a lot of marks for reading/drawing graphs, which just require a little bit of practice and not much mathematical ability, and the same with Q11 option.

The most important thing is to ATTEMPT EVERYTHING. So don't focus on one particular question - do the (a) parts of all of them!

Here's a minimum study plan:
    Take a week and work your way through 12 (a) parts for two whole papers.
    and next week try the (b) parts of a whole paper, and the (a) parts of another one. Then pass. :)

Thanks very much! :) All i want is 40%..anything over that is just a bonus for me..you've basically the same idea as my principal had..he suggested i forget about the part c's and focus on a's and b's then just attempt the c's...the funny thing about me doing Q1 is i never learnt that..i do it totally different to the way any teacher has ever shown me but i still come out with full marks in that question most of the time :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you do all the part (a)s and get them correct, and get half of the part (b)s right, then you'll get 40%.

For the part (c)'s, you will likely attempt marks, if not considerably more marks, so with a good bit of practice, passing maths should be a very realistic and doable goal. The key to doing well is by doing past papers over and over and over, consulting the textbook where you have difficulties!

EDIT: That's for HL. I'm not sure exactly how marks are broken down in OL, but the idea still applies!

Advertisement