Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downpatrick Head

Options
  • 22-05-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I'm originally a foreigner, but live in south-west Mayo for last few years. I've seen most of anything that might be interesting in Mayo, but I've never had a chance to see Downpatrick Head.
    I'll be spending a night in Ballina next week, so I thought as it's not that far I'll drive up there to see that incredible cliff ;)

Is it worth going and seeing? How do I get there from Ballina? Is there much walking needed to get to see it and take few pictures, or you can drive and just get out of car a see all? I'm generally very outdoor person and don't mind hillwalking, but I won't have too much time, and if it's more then an hour walk each way, I'll probably won't be able to make it this time.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Yes it's worth a visit, very impressive sea stack and blowhole with beautiful views over the cliffs and atlantic. But be careful, tempting to get close to the edge wouldn't attempt is this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

to get there
    drive to ballycastle,take the first right in the village and follow that road until you see a sign for it taking you off to the left.. ( i think , its been a while ) from what i remember it is signed..
    no theres not a whole lot of walking involved maybe 15 minutes but im quite used to hillwalking so its hard to guage.. certainly nowhere near an hour
    itl be windy out there this week.. stay back from the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks for advices.
    I went there finally on Thursday morning.
    It was windy as hell, no a sign of a living soul in the region.

But the whole thing is absolutely amazing.
    It's unbelievable how such thing could just stand there.
    And also the huge cave nearby (secured by metal fence) which is linked on the bottom to the ocean, with huge waves coming in it, amazed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

no bother
    apparently someone drove into that cave /hole a good few years ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

woody1 wrote: »
    no bother
    apparently someone drove into that cave /hole a good few years ago
    My OH is from Ballycastle, she said a women drove up there with her 2/3 kids and she basically threw them all into the blow hole along with herself.

I brought a Greek friend of mine on a tour of Ireland. We went to both Cliffs of Moher and Downpatrick Head on very storm days and he said it was among the most impressive scenery he's ever seen and this is from a guy who has travelled the globe.

Each time i'm down with the in-laws i always try to get down there for half an hour to walk around its fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

There's an RTE audio documentary programme about the first people to set foot on it since it got split off from the mainland in 1393.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-saint-patrick-was-a-mayoman.html

We had some Russian visitors and we took them to see Dún Briste. They kept asking "who built this?" I guess they weren't familiar with the power of the sea.

Advertisement