Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Advice

• 22-05-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I apologise now as i know this has been asked a million times however I'll ask regardless (I have searched and read some posts but still not sure)

(not so quick catchup)
    Having recovered from an illness which helped me loose about 5kg in 9 days followed by another 4Kg in the remainder of the month a change of lifestyle is required and I'm getting back on me bike (and getting fit, hopefully as I now have no belly to loose).
    I cycled quiet a bit about 12 years a ago and would like to get back to doing so again. At the time I did both road and mountain biking having two bikes, good road bike, ridiculously heavy and crap mountain bike.
    I enjoyed the both and would like to get back to the same, however I no longer have either bike and only want to get one bike due to space constraints.
    I had a look thru the "buying a bike" wiki and i see either Hybrids or Cyclo-Cross options, what would be the preferred of the two for a mix of both? I'm not too worried about suspension and disk brakes etc., I never had them before and I want something reliable that I can maintain myself. I'm leaning toward the Cyclo-Cross, i have never ridden one before but will be looking out for one in shops to try out. Are the hybrids more suited towards city use and are the cyclo-cross more for competition?

Budget is about 700-900, any recommendations/advice greatly appreciated. (sorry if i prattled on)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You need a proper MTB for proper MTBing. Anything else will be miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Cyclocross is very similar to a road bike but just has clearance for bigger tyres. Would be suitable for the road, a little slower than a proper road bike. Only really suited to forest tracks/fire roads....not proper off road.

How often do you think you would use a mountain bike, ie how close are you to trails. If the answer is seldom then i would encourage you to go with a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you really only have space for one bike then it ought to be a hardtail mtb. It'll work on the road though it won't be very fast and will require considerably more effort than a road bike. This could be good for fitness, however, don't expect to be able to keep up with any of your friends on long road cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

Thanks lads,
    If i was going off road it would not be serious mountain biking, more forest roads etc., live close enough cratloe so was thinking cycle there and then go up the woods for a trek. I don't know of any serious MTB trails around the shannon area (would like to know if there is)
    I can live without the off road stuff if it comes to it and just go road bike, was interested to see what the Cyclocross are like as I had never heard of them.
    Majority of cycling will probably be roads so may wait to get a second bike when i have more room.

Advertisement