Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bloomfields gets a massive revamp, could this signal closure of other store?

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I see there is some massive redevelopment going on at Bloomfield's, its closed all day Sunday with extensions and new departments being added.

Could this be a telltale sign that they are about to close the branch in the basement of Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr? It never really made much sense having two supermarkets so close to each other. I also heard that their lease at DL SC is up for review.

It would be interesting to see if any of the German Supermarkets decide to move in if they pull out. If no one decides to move in it would realy hit the shopping Ctr hard.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Heard through the grapevine that Heatons are taking over the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tesco cannot wait to finish the lease on the old store, it's of their worst and they don't care about it anymore.

Just like the head office above though they are tied into a lease, iirc its to 2014 but I can't remember exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gridlock wrote: »
    Heard through the grapevine that Heatons are taking over the basement.
    Heatons is a clothes shop, not going to draw the same crowd, People are not going to pay €2 parking for shopping in there and then pay the same again down the road to get groceries .

Dunlaoghaire Shopping center is dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they've already announced that they are closing it. Lidl and aldi have both expressed an intrest in taking over the lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

ted1 wrote: »
    they've already announced that they are closing it. Lidl and aldi have both expressed an intrest in taking over the lease

Yeah, Tesco in the shopping centre is on its way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing Aldi set up shop this part of South Dublin, they will certainly give Tesco and Lidl a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I see there is some massive redevelopment going on at Bloomfield's, its closed all day Sunday with extensions and new departments being added.

Could this be a telltale sign that they are about to close the branch in the basement of Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr? It never really made much sense having two supermarkets so close to each other. I also heard that their lease at DL SC is up for review.

It would be interesting to see if any of the German Supermarkets decide to move in if they pull out. If no one decides to move in it would realy hit the shopping Ctr hard.

I know guys that work there, well for another 8 weeks or so as they have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

according to there statement all staff are to be deployed to near by stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I expect Aldi will go in there, no point Lidl opening another one with two just up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I expect Aldi will go in there, no point Lidl opening another one with two just up the road

Lidl could open just to stop Aldi opening themselves. I had heard that this was the reason for the 2 in such close proximity to one another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Lidl could open just to stop Aldi opening themselves. I had heard that this was the reason for the 2 in such close proximity to one another.

the reason for those two was the county council blocked the original plans for Deansgrange because they thought it'd cause too many traffic problems, and building the 2nd one was built as a compromise to spread the business between the two. it was a case of either both, or none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

the reason for those two was the county council blocked the original plans for Deansgrange because they thought it'd cause too many traffic problems, and building the 2nd one was built as a compromise to spread the business between the two. it was a case of either both, or none

The one in Deansgrange is always very quiet these days while the Pottery Road one is pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Aldi opening new store in Sandyford Beacon South soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Aldi opening new store in Sandyford Beacon South soon
    Source?

Planning application in the national newspapers. Would you think i could be bothered making it up for some silly reason??

irlrobins wrote: »
    Source?
    Planning application in the national newspapers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Easy tiger. I was just asking as I had read an article back in Jan saying they were going to lease space but I haven't seen any movement yet. So just checking if there was a more recent source.

Advertisement