Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths- which questions?

• 22-05-2011 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Now that it's getting sort of close, what questions are people thinking of doing/hoping to do for maths (higher)? Which do ye find the easiest/hardest?? Which ones do you hate/avoid or not really mind?

Personally, on paper 1:

Q1 + Q2. Definitely gonna do both of these. Algebra is like the basis of the rest of the maths we have to do and it's not ridiculously difficult.

Q3. Matrices are really grand but complex numbers can be annoying. Still going to do this though I think. Part c's are grand usually

Q4 + Q5. I dislike sequences and series a lot! Apparantly they're the best answered questions on the paper but we only did them not too long ago and I disliked them a lot and I think I know other topics better.

Q6 + Q7. Differentiation isn't too bad. Going to do these hopefully but they can get tricky sometimes!

Q8. I dont know why but I actually like integration and find it really handy.

Apparantly like 80% people do 1,2,3,6,7,8 for their q's so im pretty normal there.

Paper 2:

Q1 the circle isn't that bad, I don't mind it but all the equations and g's and f's and simultaneous equations get quite annoying. Thinking about leaving it out, cos of other q's that I'll do

Q2. Vectors is very nice. Pretty sure I'll give it a go on the day, occassionaly a tricky c but I actually like these a bit.

Q3. Apparantly the most popular q on the paper. I hate coordinate geometry though and we only did transformations recently and I didn't like them at all. Avoiding this one at all costs.

Q4 + Q5. I used to think trigonometry would be the most popular q's but they're actually really not at all. Personally I like them and find them easy enough. Occasionally I'm left without a clue but generally not too bad. Going to definitely do these two.

Q6 + Q7. Probablity is weird. It's sort of easy but at the same time you never really know if you're right and you can just be ridiculously wrong and have no idea but still it's quick to do and easy enough so I like it. Very repetitive q's ever year also. And we did lots in class on prob and stats so I think I should do them.

Q9 I only found out the other day that only 3% people do the probability option and that everyone else does further calculus. I dont understan why to be honest. Easiest question by far on the course and best marks for any q as well.

So I do pretty unstandard paper 2.. What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

So sickened we did further calculus and series option for Paper 2 instead of Probability and stats! I hate it! :mad:

I think for paper 1 pretty much everything is alright, I'll just have to pick my questions on the day. I think I'll probably be inclined to stray away from differentiation. I quite like Q3 and Q4, sometimes Q5 can be very pleasant too. Integration is usually nice too (although it was horrid on my DEB mock).

Paper 2 is a bit more complicated. Probability and stats are definitely my best questions and take the shortest amount of time to do. I will also do Vectors, which is lovely. The final two questions is a bit more complicated. I'm not particularly fond of co-ordinate geometry or trigonometry. :P There's usually one fairly pleasant trig question every year which I'll probably do. The final question is a toss-up.

And then, of course, I've to do the Further Calculus and Series option on paper 2 as well *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Paper 1:
    Q1 - Q3 are almost certain for me.

Then a mix of the three easiest questions from Q4-8

Paper 2:
    Q1: Pretty certain i'll do the Circle
    Q2: Again pretty certain unless there's a nasty part C
    Q3: Pretty certain i'll do the line
    Q4 and 5: I like Trig so i'll probably do these two questions
    Q6 and 7: If there is nothing too long winded I'll probably do both of these questions as extras.

Q8: I've no other option so definitely doing this question.

I'd really have liked to do further probability or sets though. It seems an awful lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

On paper one i'll probably do Q1 and Q2. Q1 is the most popular Q on the whole exam. I think something like 97% of people do it every year.

From the rest i'll more than likely do Q3,4,5,8. So thats leaving out entirely differentiation. But thats not to say i'm no studying it or that. I just think the questions on differentiation are consistently difficult and i'll leave them out on the day.

Q4,5 are lovely questions. A mix of binomial, algebra and seq and series. They aren't awfully difficult. No where near as difficult as Differentiation IMO. However it looks like were due an inequality proof by induction so there always tricky.

On paper 2 i'd say i'll b able to do all of the questions once I brush up a little on trig. We did further calculus also and its not so bad. The general term in the maclaurin series is the only hard part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jimkekk

ruadhan wrote: »
    Now that it's getting sort of close, what questions are people thinking of doing/hoping to do for maths (higher)? Which do ye find the easiest/hardest?? Which ones do you hate/avoid or not really mind?

Personally, on paper 1:

Q1 + Q2. Definitely gonna do both of these. Algebra is like the basis of the rest of the maths we have to do and it's not ridiculously difficult.

Q3. Matrices are really grand but complex numbers can be annoying. Still going to do this though I think. Part c's are grand usually

Q4 + Q5. I dislike sequences and series a lot! Apparantly they're the best answered questions on the paper but we only did them not too long ago and I disliked them a lot and I think I know other topics better.

Q6 + Q7. Differentiation isn't too bad. Going to do these hopefully but they can get tricky sometimes!

Q8. I dont know why but I actually like integration and find it really handy.

Apparantly like 80% people do 1,2,3,6,7,8 for their q's so im pretty normal there.

Paper 2:

Q1 the circle isn't that bad, I don't mind it but all the equations and g's and f's and simultaneous equations get quite annoying. Thinking about leaving it out, cos of other q's that I'll do

Q2. Vectors is very nice. Pretty sure I'll give it a go on the day, occassionaly a tricky c but I actually like these a bit.

Q3. Apparantly the most popular q on the paper. I hate coordinate geometry though and we only did transformations recently and I didn't like them at all. Avoiding this one at all costs.

Q4 + Q5. I used to think trigonometry would be the most popular q's but they're actually really not at all. Personally I like them and find them easy enough. Occasionally I'm left without a clue but generally not too bad. Going to definitely do these two.

Q6 + Q7. Probablity is weird. It's sort of easy but at the same time you never really know if you're right and you can just be ridiculously wrong and have no idea but still it's quick to do and easy enough so I like it. Very repetitive q's ever year also. And we did lots in class on prob and stats so I think I should do them.

Q9 I only found out the other day that only 3% people do the probability option and that everyone else does further calculus. I dont understan why to be honest. Easiest question by far on the course and best marks for any q as well.

So I do pretty unstandard paper 2.. What about you?
    What is going on in LC H maths the
    The numbers have fallen from 19% in 2005 to 16.6% in 2010 and the % getting an A has gone from 20% in 2001 to 12% in 2010 .
    In Ord level LC the % taking it is steady at 71-72%
    But the failure rate has dropped from 16.5% in 2001 to 9.5% in 2010 Good news or dumbing down!
    The % taking the foundation level has increased from 9.5% in 2001 to 11.5% in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Paper 1
    Q1 & 2 (Pretty much have to do this really)
    Q3 (Matrices are easy, complex numbers are okay but I find the c parts tricky)
    Q4 (I'm considering it...depends on the Q3 & 8)
    Q5 (Not a chance, I don't get logs)
    Q6 & 7 (sometimes there can be very difficult ones but with a bit of revision, I should be grand)
    Q8 (Dodgy question, sometimes it's grand but I make stupid mistakes a lot in this one. Maybe I'll do it)

Paper 2
    Q1 (I'll almost certainly do this)
    Q2 (I dunno about vectors really...I'm a bit hit-and-miss with them)
    Q3 (I always do badly here unless the question is really easy)
    Q4 (Unlikely I'll do it, Q5 seems a lot easier to me but again, it depends)
    Q5 (I find this trig one a lot easier)
    Q6 & 7 (As someone else said, probability is weird in how you never know whether it's right and you could be completely wrong. That said, I find it really easy generally and I'm definitely doing it)

I'm stuck between 2, 3 & 4 for my final question on Paper 2, and 3, 4 & 8 on Paper 1.

We didn't do further probability which I really want to do. But the calculues Q8 usually isn't too hard, I suppose. I just dislike doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I work pretty fast so I normally do 7 or even 8 questions.

In paper 1 I will do all the questions, except question 4. Hate it! I love doing Q.1,2 & 8. I'd happily do those in my free time, I'd even call it a hobby!

In paper 2 I'll do 1-8 if I have time. I will do q.3, cos I love it. If i run out of time I might not do one of the trig questions cos they can be hard at times, or maybe vectors...some of them confuse me!

Hoping to be a maths teacher... so hopefully I'll do pretty well.. A not so good result wouldn't look nice on a cv as i apply for my maths job in 5 years time! :D

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Paper 1
    Q1 & 2 (Pretty much have to do this really)
    Q3 (Matrices are easy, complex numbers are okay but I find the c parts tricky)
    Q4 (I'm considering it...depends on the Q3 & 8)
    Q5 (Not a chance, I don't get logs)
    Q6 & 7 (sometimes there can be very difficult ones but with a bit of revision, I should be grand)
    Q8 (Dodgy question, sometimes it's grand but I make stupid mistakes a lot in this one. Maybe I'll do it)

Paper 2
    Q1 (I'll almost certainly do this)
    Q2 (I dunno about vectors really...I'm a bit hit-and-miss with them)
    Q3 (I always do badly here unless the question is really easy)
    Q4 (Unlikely I'll do it, Q5 seems a lot easier to me but again, it depends)
    Q5 (I find this trig one a lot easier)
    Q6 & 7 (As someone else said, probability is weird in how you never know whether it's right and you could be completely wrong. That said, I find it really easy generally and I'm definitely doing it)

I'm stuck between 2, 3 & 4 for my final question on Paper 2, and 3, 4 & 8 on Paper 1.

We didn't do further probability which I really want to do. But the calculues Q8 usually isn't too hard, I suppose. I just dislike doing them.
    Paper 1 the two easiest questions are Q4,Q5 .They are never us as "A blockers " whereas Q6 and ,Q7 often have A blockers in particular in parametric differentiation be careful .
    Syllabus for Q4 ,AP,GP,APGP,Telescopic ,and Sigma n.
    Q5 Binomial (general term) Logs,Induction,Index equation very very easy worth practicing .
    Most students have been advised to do 1,2,3,6,7,8 on P1 hence these determine the stats for the paper .
    Paper 2 advice ;
    Vectors is the easiest question just practice the part c from 2002/2003/2008 .
    Then I advise Trig,Trig then Line,Circle (know the Geometry of Circle)Q8 is the most popular option .Be very careful here as it was marked very hard in 2010.
    Listen to 2FM tomorrow at 7pm for maths advice

brian93 wrote: »
    I work pretty fast so I normally do 7 or even 8 questions.

In paper 1 I will do all the questions, except question 4. Hate it! I love doing Q.1,2 & 8. I'd happily do those in my free time, I'd even call it a hobby!

In paper 2 I'll do 1-8 if I have time. I will do q.3, cos I love it. If i run out of time I might not do one of the trig questions cos they can be hard at times, or maybe vectors...some of them confuse me!

Hoping to be a maths teacher... so hopefully I'll do pretty well.. A not so good result wouldn't look nice on a cv as i apply for my maths job in 5 years time! :D
    Bit of advice Q4 paper 1 is never used as an A blocker it might be worth a bit of study

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Do them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Paper one:
    Q1:Yes
    Q2:Yes
    Q3:Yes
    Q4:Hopefully not
    Q5:100% Yes! Easiest question on paper!
    Q6:Yes
    Q7:<--- Can be a bítch when it wants to be.
    Q8:Yes

Paper two:
    Q1:No
    Q2:Yes
    Q3:Hopefully not
    Q4:Yes
    Q5:Yes
    Q6:I'll give it a blasht!
    Q7:I'll give it a blasht!
    Q8:Yes

I heard Paper one is going to be a right bítch this year? Anyone have a comment to make on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jimkekk wrote: »
    Paper 1 the two easiest questions are Q4,Q5 .They are never us as "A blockers " whereas Q6 and ,Q7 often have A blockers in particular in parametric differentiation be careful .
    Syllabus for Q4 ,AP,GP,APGP,Telescopic ,and Sigma n.
    Q5 Binomial (general term) Logs,Induction,Index equation very very easy worth practicing .
    Most students have been advised to do 1,2,3,6,7,8 on P1 hence these determine the stats for the paper .
    Paper 2 advice ;
    Vectors is the easiest question just practice the part c from 2002/2003/2008 .
    Then I advise Trig,Trig then Line,Circle (know the Geometry of Circle)Q8 is the most popular option .Be very careful here as it was marked very hard in 2010.
    Listen to 2FM tomorrow at 7pm for maths advice

Cheers, much appreciated.

But I think at this stage an A is out of reach. Unless I get really lucky, I'll settle for a B. I don't have any problem with parametric differentiation though, it's one thing I can do.

If Paper 1, Q5 is really that easy I might take a look. But I really don't get logs at all.

As for Paper 2, I think it is a waaaaay easier paper than P1. I'll definitely be doing probability though.

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I heard Paper one is going to be a right bítch this year? Anyone have a comment to make on this?
    Maths is pretty tough to predict. You may be able to guess what proofs may be asked but the difficulty of the paper varies wildly from year to year. Especially since this year is the final year before project maths.

Maths is pretty tough to predict. You may be able to guess what proofs may be asked but the difficulty of the paper varies wildly from year to year. Especially since this year is the final year before project maths.

That's exactly it. I've heard it's going to be hard because they are trying to prove Project Maths is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Paper 1: I chose these questions because Algebra is 2 questions as in diff so it's less study..! :P

Q1 + Q2. Going to do these 2
    Q3. It's been a while since matrices has been a c part (I think) so I'm hoping for an easy Q3! I'll be doing it regardless
    Q6 + Q7. Hate Differentiation (have reasons though! :P ) but I'm going to do it because it's 2 questions!
    Q8. Hoping it's easy because I'm gonna answer it!

Paper 2: Haven't studied it yet! :/

Q1 It's an ok question so I'll do it!
    Q2. LOVE it!
    Q3. Will try to avoid but it'll be a back-up!
    Q4 + Q5. Trig is grand!
    Q6 + Q7. Will Answer 1 of the 2! Maybe do the other as an extra

Q8 No choice..! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

That's exactly it. I've heard it's going to be hard because they are trying to prove Project Maths is the right thing to do.

Let's prove them wrong... :)

Well if we all fail, it need's to be changed. If we get A's, it need's to be changed. If we get average results, it's old... and need's to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

Yep I've heard it's meant to be hard too. Hurray. :o

Paper 1

Q1+2: Definitely. No question about it.
    Q3: Here's hoping for lots of matrices and not so much complex numbers! Doing this question.
    Q4: DEFINITELY doing this question. Love it and one of the first questions I do on the paper. Never understood why people don't like it.
    Q5: No way. Never even looked at this question in class.
    Q6+7: Doing both of these. Differentiation part As and Bs are okay and I'm not looking for a high mark (thank god...)
    Q8: Makes even less sense than question 5.

Paper 2 I haven't started studying yet so eh...
    Doing the two trig questions (studied these already!)
    Trying the vectors question
    Statistics
    Probability

Doing Q10! Easy as pie. :)

Really not looking forward to paper 2. Thankfully all I'm looking for is an honour but I have no idea what I'm going to do with that paper. Study it might be a good place to start.

squishness wrote: »

Doing Q10! Easy as pie. :)
    What do you need to know for Q10? All we've done in school is Q8 but i'd really like to keep my options open and Q10 looks rather interesting (And not too long winded).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

What do you need to know for Q10? All we've done in school is Q8 but i'd really like to keep my options open and Q10 looks rather interesting (And not too long winded).

It's mostly logic but I wouldn't touch it if I hadn't already studied it! Properties of a group, why something is/isn't a group, how to draw/read a Cayley Table, commutative groups, rotations, isomorphisms...

Then there's 6 proofs as far as I know.

If you get the little blue book for groups (text and tests:confused:) if you wanted to learn it yourself but you're cutting it a bit fine with two weeks left! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

squishness wrote: »
    Yep I've heard it's meant to be hard too. Hurray. :o

There are people who say it will be hard to show how much Project Maths is needed but then there are people who say it will be easy because it's the last year and they'll be nice and there's others who say it will stay the same as normal (some hard questions, some easy, some average) because of the bell curve!

• Advertisement

Well I already know a bit about groups (From something non-school related). I'll have a look at the syllabus and see if what I know is good enough to have the question as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

gd luck to all

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Let's prove them wrong... :)
    there is a real quick way to do standard deviations without the box !
    The sd^2 = (mean of the squares) - (square of the mean)

There is also a rumor going around that they will ask the proof of the factor theorem! And the perpendicular distance formula (not sure about this one)
    expect some geometry in the Trig question (maths Guru advice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

well if it does turn out really hard (which it probably will) we know what we have to do.................cause a sh1tfest!!! Cause uproar about it like the lads in 06 did.Theyll have to mark it easier then and so = Happy days for us
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

They ****ed over people doing HL last year and nothing was done when the teachers kicked up a fuss. All they want is to make Project Maths look better than our course.

nommm wrote: »
    They ****ed over people doing HL last year and nothing was done when the teachers kicked up a fuss. All they want is to make Project Maths look better than our course.
    The paper this year will not be any more difficult than other years. The number of proofs will be down (there are none except trig on the project).
    Watch out for Junior cert geometry to appear in the line and the trig or vectors .
    2Fm tonight 7-8pm it's maths night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

The paper this year will not be any more difficult than other years. The number of proofs will be down (there are none except trig on the project).
    Watch out for Junior cert geometry to appear in the line and the trig or vectors .

Really? Not many proofs? I dunno about that

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

I would tend to agree with the proof side of things they are trying to make maths more practical and all that jazz so there will be little proofs. Hope the perp distance one comes up though, handy!! :)

MikeHough wrote: »
    Really? Not many proofs? I dunno about that
    Its only my opinion
    They seem to be going away from asking lots of proofs .
    It might be worth knowing the proof of the factor theorem .I have attached the list of proofs asked since 1994 you can decide which one is likely!
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I wasn't saying the paper would be harder. They'll probably mark it harder if the Project Maths results are low like they did last year.

Advertisement