Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoPro HD Hero Footage in FCP

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi all,

I do a good amount of work with GoPro footage in Final Cut Pro and I always have to convert the .mp4 files into .mov's using iMovie before I can get them to play in my timeline without needing to be rendered. My main problem with this is 1. the amount of time it takes to convert the files and 2. the sheer size of the /mov files after converting.

Anyone have any ideas?

CJK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've found GoPro to be a right pain in the ass. We get alot of it at work for Watchdog/Rogue Trader and it takes ages to convert. I love that camera companys sell these formats and then the post production company gets blamed when it takes hours to import. I've used format factory to convert them, I long for the day Avid allows them to be imported directly.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

there is a good forum for gopro users here http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
    plenty of people there with specific knowledge of gopro. considering it is a 300 euro camera in a waterproof housing, and is tiny, and does HD, really there is nothing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Lump wrote: »
    I've found GoPro to be a right pain in the ass. We get alot of it at work for Watchdog/Rogue Trader and it takes ages to convert. I love that camera companys sell these formats and then the post production company gets blamed when it takes hours to import. I've used format factory to convert them, I long for the day Avid allows them to be imported directly.

John

Yeah it really makes me think how shows like Top Gear and Mythbusters incorporate it into their workflow.
    plenty of people there with specific knowledge of gopro. considering it is a 300 euro camera in a waterproof housing, and is tiny, and does HD, really there is nothing to complain about.

I agree that it's a great tool to work with! Thanks for the link and I will take a look at the forum! Thanks a million!!!

Found a bit of info on that site, thanks for the link.

I'm not complaining, I just wish that people were told up front how long the files take to import. Generally avid takes 5 times real time to import them. So all of a sudden an hour or material is billed out as a 5 hour import, productions aren't overly happy.

Once again it's the fault of a post production house. We have similar problems with *.MTS files.

The only upside to this is it happens on both Avid and FCP, so when productions claim that it'd be much faster on FCP I can point out that it's not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

The only upside to this is it happens on both Avid and FCP, so when productions claim that it'd be much faster on FCP I can point out that it's not

You know, I actually had an AVID rep tell me that the GoPro footage would work natively in Media Composer 5.5. Found out he was lying when I downloaded the trial (with full intentions of buying the full license when my 30 days was up).

It does work, just takes an AGE to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I shoot HDV on a Z5 and have a GoPro as a back-up/2nd camera. I edit in Sony Vegas and never had a problem. It imports quickly and with no fuss.

Advertisement