Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

With champs I bought the retail version of the game which gave you twenty and the rest I have gotten with IP. There are only 7 I don't own; none of which particularly excite me but you gotta catch 'em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Had one game with graves. Finished 6-0-12. Just played him like a Cait, got mercs, IE, Phant, Bloodthirster. Heard he's a beast when build tanky too. Must try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Meirleach

I'm just going to say, Jarvan is an amazing character, I see quite a lot of them going jungle/off tank. And they always give me trouble(his passive is just so annoying, he can have no damage built and his first attack still hurts like a bitch)

I've actually been considering giving him a go...my main problem with champions is that I know one or two of them REALLY well, so I get frustrated at myself when playing new ones, for not doing as well. :o

For some reason I can never bring myself to play a champ I hate which is why I don't play many op mids, never played Akali or Jarv and have only just gotten around to Nocturne... It's kinda weird I guess but my hatred of them overrides desire to pick em up.

I'm very much 'Carry Only' when playing with mates. I can fill any role but top and ad carry are by far my best. Jungling is frustrating and I'm just not a great mid because I get so into farming that my map awareness is hard to spread to both sides of the map. I just find it a lot easier to know whats happening directly below me and above me.

• Advertisement

I've played all the champs. It definitely helps at least trying to play the champs you have a problem against so you can figure out their weaknesses.
    I find I can only play a champ for 2-3 games in a row before I get bored of them. In ranked I will get my try-hard on and pick my best champ for the available role though.

Graves is so much fun it's not even funny. He seems to be a little OP so I'd say he'll eat some nerfs next patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Alright, played through the beginner tutorial and combat tutorial (a game on the Summoner's Rift map with bots making up the rest of my team and all the enemies) last night and still a bit lost, particularly reading many of the posts in this thread - anyone have a link to a good glossary of LoL terms?

Do people play solely using mouse, or it is advantageous (in terms of speed) to use the keyboard as well (for the Q, W, E and R buttons)?

What exactly do people mean by 'build'? Does this mean what runes you chose to use with your champion (whatever 'runes' are!) or the items you buy during the game as you earn gold? I was hoping to begin the game you just quickly choose a champion and get cracking, without worrying about whatever a build is!

Oh yeah, I've earned enough points to 'purchase' a champion - who to choose to start with?

ionapaul wrote: »
    Alright, played through the beginner tutorial and combat tutorial (a game on the Summoner's Rift map with bots making up the rest of my team and all the enemies) last night and still a bit lost, particularly reading many of the posts in this thread - anyone have a link to a good glossary of LoL terms?
    Here's a link to the new player's forum on the LoL forums. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29
    There's a sticky at the top with links to lots of guides including a glossary.
    Do people play solely using mouse, or it is advantageous (in terms of speed) to use the keyboard as well (for the Q, W, E and R buttons)?
    You pretty much have to use the keyboard to play at any reasonable level; it's too slow otherwise.
    What exactly do people mean by 'build'? Does this mean what runes you chose to use with your champion (whatever 'runes' are!) or the items you buy during the game as you earn gold? I was hoping to begin the game you just quickly choose a champion and get cracking, without worrying about whatever a build is!
    It typically refers to the ingame items. When you play a game and open the shop each champion will have recommended items on the top right. Usually these are ok to follow. As you get more experienced and read more guides you can modify the builds to suit your play style.
    Oh yeah, I've earned enough points to 'purchase' a champion - who to choose to start with?
    Ashe cause she's a cheap ranged carry. You should die less when starting out as a ranged character as you shouldn't be in the thick of the fight all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Seifer wrote: »
    Ashe cause she's a cheap ranged carry. You should die less when starting out as a ranged character as you shouldn't be in the thick of the fight all the time.

In all MoBA's I recommend that one must learn to support a carry before they play one.

But in the beginning I think the best advise is just to play fun chars, ones with skill shots, because in low level games you can get away with missing them but when you are trying to learn when you get higher level its more difficult.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    In all MoBA's I recommend that one must learn to support a carry before they play one.

But in the beginning I think the best advise is just to play fun chars, ones with skill shots, because in low level games you can get away with missing them but when you are trying to learn when you get higher level its more difficult.
    At beginner levels no role is really going to carry. A support at beginner levels is next to useless as it's highly likely you won't have anyone worth supporting. For example say he picks Janna and shields his carry, the carry won't know he's now getting an AD boost and should be attacking.
    A ranged AD also makes picking up last-hitting easier.

• Advertisement

Seifer wrote: »
    At beginner levels no role is really going to carry. A support at beginner levels is next to useless as it's highly likely you won't have anyone worth supporting. For example say he picks Janna and shields his carry, the carry won't know he's now getting an AD boost and should be attacking.
    A ranged AD also makes picking up last-hitting easier.

Aye your right with that point, but the lack of supporting frustrates me in LoL, I am level 18 now I think and I still see useless team compositions and no supports, even at low end HoN games you will have at least one Pure support/ward bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

god ive never played a game with so many díckheads

Graves full combo in lane is a thing of beauty. Lapping up the double kills.

Just got level 20, tier 3 runes are expensive ;o

2050 for 1 Fort quint .... ( decided to go with fort quints first as I can kinda see them being usefull across the board and more so for supports which I try to play in better games [ where it looks like I have a good team ] and I am also starting to jungle, with amumu !!! I actually took the blue buff without leashing !! All praise to flat armor runes ! ;o )

So far t3, I have Magic penetration, flat armor, and some mana regen per 5 second scaling. I will get my two quints then get the magic armor runes ( I am just going for ones which can be useful across the board first before I finally choose what I want to continue playing ! )

Having lots of fun with Blitzcrank ( and aforementioned amumu ) In a ranked game though, would you be expected to play Blitz solo top lane or semi support duo lane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Meirleach

Having lots of fun with Blitzcrank ( and aforementioned amumu ) In a ranked game though, would you be expected to play Blitz solo top lane or semi support duo lane ?
    Okay on US, you'd usually see blitz as a semi-support bottom, he can go solo top but usually there are better champions for that.

On bottom, once your carry gets some damage your grab is basically a free kill. That aoe silence of yours stops flashes :P

Of course EU meta is different than US meta, so I might off about all that. ;-)

I think the US meta is all caught up (although will be interesting to see if Fnatic's two solo casters catches on) so it would be the same.
    I think his main problem as a solo is that your opponent would have to be pretty terrible to be grabbed in a 1v1. So top would just be a farm fest but a farmed Blitz isn't much different from an underfarmed one. This is assuming he can stay in the lane with no sustain. I could see him be zoned pretty hard by anyone with a bit of lifesteal.
    He might have a better chance mid but I think most of the popular casters would just be able to whittle him down from behind their minions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Play blitz a lot, would never solo him. He really deals it out but then is pretty useless, and until late game rarely does enough damage to kill, just make them flee with their tails between their legs. He's 10x more effective when you have a champ with a stun sitting beside you as soon as you get the grab.

That said I've racked up a whopper 0 ranked games.

I'm never really sure about the Last Whisper unless I see 2 or more stacking armour.

Default finished build for an AD carry would be: IE, Phantom Dancer, Bloodthirster, Mallet and a situational (Madreds/Wits/GA/Veil/Executioners/Whisper).

Also, Black Cleaver, I rarely find a good time to build it. IE/thirster give you more damage for just a tad bit more farming.

Hexdrinker is a funny one too.. I think the only champ I ever bother with it is Renekton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

god ive never played a game with so many díckheads

I just realised you posted this waay after we were playing early sunday morning. pushed thru eh?

Also, nothing worse than the dickhead lux that dont learn shield till theres nothing else to learn!

• Advertisement

Sorry if its a repost but I just had to laugh at it ...

Blizzard trying to get onto the market using their copy right on most of Icefrogs ideas ( yes I am aware they are well withing their rights cause he did use warcraft 3 for DoTA 1 ) I am just glad they did not stoop low enough to use "Sentinel" and "Scourge" since they did not let them use it for Dota2 ( thats why they are the Radiant and the Dire )

Yeah, they talked about it a lot at blizzon. I was nonplussed before blizzcon but actually it sounds like a lot of fun. They want to take moba in a different direction slightly. Theyve removed some of the farming elements and created new ones.

Mounts instead of boots sounds awesome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

CLG's elementz posted another updated solo queue tier list at rog.clgaming.net.

I mostly agree with alot of the rankings, graves and akali are both just disgusting at the moment, but i havent seen a single teleport revive karthus yet, maybe ill start to.

Shes incredibly strong, however she doesnt really directly counter any of the current top lane solo champions, but there are quite a few like garen, rumble, kennen and nasus that will really give her a tough time early game.

Even if you get counterpicked really hard she has so much sustainability in lane its really tough to push her out and she scales into late game alot better than alot of those top lane solos.

Shes my favorite champion currently in league of legends, i play her whenever i get a chance in ranked, she just doesnt completely decimate another champion 1v1 in lane in the same way as garen and isnt as hard a rock as chogath.

keep in mind this list is purely for people with the sole intention of carrying 4 other brain dead teamates kicking and screaming to victory in every game you play, it doesnt take into account champion synergy or any other factors.

Jarvan is being played competitively ALOT at the moment as a jungler, his ganks are crazy strong. Hes not great in lane though and being a strong jungler wont win the game for you if the rest of the team cant capitalize on that.

Beating your lane into dust, putting them behind and getting ahead yourself, that will win games and that what alot of these champions do.

also if you can be crafty as AP shaco at the moment...OH MY GOD hes annoying.

His sustain in lane is pretty weak, he cant push the lane worth a damn, he doesn't turn into a monster late game like chogath or nasus with decent farm, in fact his damage falls of considerably.

He does 1v1 stuff really well though.

Nice to know I don't even own one t1 champ ....

Having fun with Morde, laning with my mate who just started playing Urgot ( aye its probably a crappy combo in ranked games ) but you all know what unranked games are like ...

The combined harass is mental, and both have shields which make harassing difficult for the enemies, lack of CC is noticeable but with ult + ignite + Urgots lock on enemies take for granted damage over time and underestimate the amount of time they should spend engaged.

Every time I cast his ulty I think in my own head " YOUR DOOMED " from Doom bringers ult ( quite different yes but the same mentality! )

Try the blitzstar combo, blitzcrank and alistar bottom lane, you completely destroy ****. that amont of CC is just too much for most combos.

Well thats it, in these unranked games where you are genetically predisposed to be put on a team of complete planks ...

Yes I could also pick an AD carry, like the insta lock Tyrnd and Ashe/Vayne who want to lane together,

Yes I could pick a support and support either my mate or the Teemo who doesn't tell me he is going AP,

Yes I could pick a char and go mid and leave my mate in lane with some imbecile,

Or me and my mate who are on Teamspeak ( we are always on Boards TS btw in the LoL channel, people are welcome to join us, but we are only level 18-20 with no runes and a very limited pool of heroes, and my mate is quite new to these games but he is learning fast ) could pick two heroes that we know we will rape the lane and get kills with and have fun, if we win, good. If we lose, at least we had a fun laning phase.

• Advertisement

What program do you useif you mind me asking ? might try recording

Advertisement