Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

It's a shame me and Orizio have played SC2 together in the past (for years and are good buddies) and this post is 100% sarcastic, as would be suggested by my previous posts.

Sums up this community nicely :(

"Suggested", not everyone will pick up on that & sarcasm in written text does not work.

Anyone watch Ranger14s videos? Gives some great tips.

Same with gbay99 although his are more about the midset & not being a total asshole ingame. He takes a lot from the art of war and applies it to league which is very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Korvanica wrote: »
    "Suggested", not everyone will pick up on that & sarcasm in written text does not work.

Anyone watch Ranger14s videos? Gives some great tips.

Same with gbay99 although his are more about the midset & not being a total asshole ingame. He takes a lot from the art of war and applies it to league which is very interesting.

Well considering I stated clearly, several times, that I'm bad, played for a week and not even level 30 without any beating around the bush, I would have thought that would have been sufficient. Then again, this is boards.ie.

Just watch pros scrim on twitch for best tips, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

EDIT: LOL NICE LEAGUE FAGG*T

Sin getting into the spirit of League Of Legends super quickly I see. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Orizio wrote: »
    Sin getting into the spirit of League Of Legends super quickly I see. :pac:

heh, he will fit right in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Sin, quick tip - if someone starts to flame - not even flaming you, just flaming anyone - go ahead and mute him asap for your own sanity.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Sin, quick tip - if someone starts to flame - not even flaming you, just flaming anyone - go ahead and mute him asap for your own sanity.

I can handle the internet. What I can't handle is bad players :(. I never get flamed anyway; I'm too pro!

http://www.aceresport.com/uk/content/286.htm

Really enjoyable article. Definitely should give it a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

http://www.aceresport.com/uk/content/286.htm

Really enjoyable article. Definitely should give it a read.

That is a good article. I seriously doubt the majority of LoL players will ever actually pick up on what it means though. They'll just read articles like that and think to themselves 'yes, other peoples ego's are the problem'.

I don't agree that a role finder is a good idea though. Just because it exists in wow doesn't make it good and also LoL's meta shifts more frequently (and there are, technically, more than 5 roles.) A role finder just means you'll only end up with a situation similar to what happened in wow where specific important roles became rarer because:
    a) everyone wants to play the popular (read: easier) roles
    and
    b) the people who do play those roles get exposed to even more abuse because people will have higher standards for people who choose to queue those roles, and as a result will play less games.

Maybe it's changed since but I definitely remember WoW having to bribe underplayed roles pretty hard.

I've said it before but probably not here, the wow random dungeon pug community is worse than the lol levelling community (although I've yet to hit 30 so can't compare ranked soloqueue to wow pugs yet, I really can't see it being worse. Bear in mind, WoW pugs will flame as hard as LoL players for simply not beating content quickly enough, for doing ready checks before a boss and for checking to make sure they know the strategies even when they're the ones slowing things down by doing low damage, they aren't ready and they don't know the strategies...)

And in LoL it will force a specific meta. Probably the north american one.

A better alternative would be a flag system where players flag (perhaps via some sort of icon) which roles they want to play, but don't queue specifically for them. Might help reduce the 'I called it first!' arguments.

Sycopat wrote: »
    That is a good article. I seriously doubt the majority of LoL players will ever actually pick up on what it means though. They'll just read articles like that and think to themselves 'yes, other peoples ego's are the problem'.

I don't agree that a role finder is a good idea though. Just because it exists in wow doesn't make it good and also LoL's meta shifts more frequently (and there are, technically, more than 5 roles.) A role finder just means you'll only end up with a situation similar to what happened in wow where specific important roles became rarer because:
    a) everyone wants to play the popular (read: easier) roles
    and
    b) the people who do play those roles get exposed to even more abuse because people will have higher standards for people who choose to queue those roles, and as a result will play less games.

Maybe it's changed since but I definitely remember WoW having to bribe underplayed roles pretty hard.

I've said it before but probably not here, the wow random dungeon pug community is worse than the lol levelling community (although I've yet to hit 30 so can't compare ranked soloqueue to wow pugs yet, I really can't see it being worse. Bear in mind, WoW pugs will flame as hard as LoL players for simply not beating content quickly enough, for doing ready checks before a boss and for checking to make sure they know the strategies even when they're the ones slowing things down by doing low damage, they aren't ready and they don't know the strategies...)

And in LoL it will force a specific meta. Probably the north american one.

A better alternative would be a flag system where players flag (perhaps via some sort of icon) which roles they want to play, but don't queue specifically for them. Might help reduce the 'I called it first!' arguments.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about what you've said (because it will just turn into a sh*t show) but I agree with that train of thought. I'm still at the levelling process (although I get matched up against/with Silver's regularly) and I had the discussion with Orizio earlier when we played about roles. We wanted to do premade bot but then someone chose EZ and insta-locked so we were like "whatever". So I went Amumu sick jungler (and carried that bronze noob <3) and he went mid. I proceeded to say, I want to learn as many roles competently as possible before starting Ranked (which improves my play but also prevents me from restricting/getting in the way of my allies) and that I wanted to learn Hecarim to learn to jungle well (because, from what I've seen he seems like one of the strongest Junglers). It was at this point Orizio brought up your exact point about flamers and warned me that Junglers (especially) get targeted with all the hate. That's such a shame, tbh.

In Normal Games I literally don't care at all. Everyone was new once, and everyone wants to improve (I assume). Therefore, in order not to be a complete assh*le you learn new champs and things in Normal (right?). It's a shame that Ranked seems to encourage negative behaviour or this "toxic hell" that is constantly discussed (or so I've heard; I'm only level 25).

But yeah, I won't go into a deep discussion about it because 1) I'm not good enough to talk about balance, etc and 2) it will just turn into a toxic sh*t hole of doom like everything else on boards :D

stuff, editing it out just to avoid filling thread with walls of text - Sycopat

First up, you can discuss anything. Things will only turn toxic if the people in a discussion let it go that way. (As an aside; a good way I've found to avoid that is to limit the swearing and slang when unnecessary.) As I said, I'm not level 30 either, and frankly you'll probably hit it before I do. You mentioned previously playing ten games a day, that's probably more than I get in in most weeks. (Another reason I talk about this stuff on the internet: Don't have time to shut up and play...).

I don't know why you think I was talking about balance though, I wasn't really talking about that at all. I mentioned the meta, but only that it shifts often, and only because a wow-style role finder system would interfere with that. It's not the only (or even imo, best) reason I think a wow-style role finder is a terrible idea for LoL, but it's one I think is easy to understand.

Anyway, this thread probably isn't the best place for an in depth discussion of anything, but we don't have a sub-forum. I wonder if there would be interest in a more general MOBA sub-forum?

• Advertisement

I didn't mention balance at all but ok :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Leona is my favourite. Balls deep bitchiz. Also, her CC doesn't ever stop being awesome.

Kold wrote: »
    Leona is my favourite. Balls deep bitchiz. Also, her CC doesn't ever stop being awesome.

Ironically she's hilarious mid.

I didn't mention balance at all but ok :P
    I'm not good enough to talk about balance, etc

<.<
    >.>
    o.O

Whatever you say buddy.

Sycopat wrote: »
    <.<
    >.>
    o.O

Whatever you say buddy.

Well, in my defense, it wasn't directly related to anything you said. It was just finishing off what I had said, seperate to anything said above! :X

Just played 3 games at gold ELO on a mates account as Taric support (having never played him before) in bot premade. It wasn't even close. Looking forward to learning more champs and begin ranked on my own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Lost 8 of my last 10 games. My two wins came from me playing Hec :mad: Its so frustrating when my team sucks. Was really thinking about quitting last night, cant imagine what i will be like when i start ranked in two levels. Ill have to play Hec every game :(

Lost 8 of my last 10 games. My two wins came from me playing Hec :mad: Its so frustrating when my team sucks. Was really thinking about quitting last night, cant imagine what i will be like when i start ranked in two levels. Ill have to play Hec every game :(

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the EXACT reason why you shouldn't jump straight into Ranked games? As I've aforementioned several times I believe the best way to approach Ranked games is to do them (first-time) when you have a solid grasp of several champs AND several roles. Like I said in the above post, I jumped on a Gold II account today having 1) never played support and 2) never played Taric and completely stomped in the three games. It's all about attitude, mechanics and ability. If you go into Ranked with a mentality that everyone else sucks well then you probably deserve to lose (and I know you don't mean it that way). But, yeah, back to my opening comment I believe what you are saying is the exact reason why you should _NOT_ play ranked in 2 more levels.

Also, baring in mind I am still a baddy; try playing Support for 10 games. Your awareness will just snowball (in a positive way). It's a tip I've read on several sites and definitely something that is well worth trying. Also, from what I've heard the current free Champ, Lulu, is one of the strongest supports in the current Meta (then again I heard this from a pro mate I don't actually know myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you mean Soraka? That's the free support champ right now

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you mean Soraka? That's the free support champ right now

Oh, my bad then. No, she's pretty bad from what I've heard but I like playing her at bad ELO :p

• Advertisement

Yeah, aggrevie supports seem to work best fight now. It was defensive supports last season

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah, aggrevie supports seem to work best fight now. It was defensive supports last season

Aye just finished a game with a Leona and I finished at 23/3/19 :>

EDIT: As ADC >_<

Actually, the best way to climb is to keep playing the one champ over and over and in the current meta Hec is one of the 4 god junglers along with Xin, j4 and Vi. You'll also find it easier to get jungler most games as the most highly contested roles are mid, top and adc. You becomea good enough hec and you'll be able to run him quite successfully in toplane too.
    Im gold on a few different servers but Im mostly an adc player as I can play each one capably and would pick depending on counters or team synergy. I regret not just going Rumble every game in s1 and s2 though as he was my best champion by far but I got put off by the countrability of toplane. Simple fact is though that if you become good enough at a champ, being counterpicked by an inferior player shouldnt matter too much.

Kold wrote: »
    Actually, the best way to climb is to keep playing the one champ over and over and in the current meta Hec is one of the 4 god junglers along with Xin, j4 and Vi.

I'm fairly new to LOL so don't play to a high level. I see volibear picked very often in pro games. What makes Hec better than Voli at gold division level?

Is it because they are playing a different patch and Volibear has been nerfed hard recently?

Voli is strong but the other 4 have the top winrates at high elo. I dont honestly know as for the last few weeks Ive been levelling a Vietnamese account and I dont jungle often. I could imagine it may have something to do with clearspeed or else a dependence on building hp and AS early. Any time that I have jungled him though his ganking and diving ability is immense... That f8cking passive..
    Hasnt Voli just become fotm after diamondprox picked him in some lcs game though? That guy could pull off a Poppy jungle and you'd have screams of jungle Poppy op a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Started playing this again now that they have a Mac client once more.

I suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

Just give it time and you will get back into the swing of things. Just remember to try AP Nasus at least once.

Started playing this again now that they have a Mac client once more.

I suck.

"Yeah, you do" - League of Legends 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just give it time and you will get back into the swing of things. Just remember to try AP Nasus at least once.

Oh even when I played I sucked.

I'm trying to pick up Cho and Ryze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the EXACT reason why you shouldn't jump straight into Ranked games? As I've aforementioned several times I believe the best way to approach Ranked games is to do them (first-time) when you have a solid grasp of several champs AND several roles. Like I said in the above post, I jumped on a Gold II account today having 1) never played support and 2) never played Taric and completely stomped in the three games. It's all about attitude, mechanics and ability. If you go into Ranked with a mentality that everyone else sucks well then you probably deserve to lose (and I know you don't mean it that way). But, yeah, back to my opening comment I believe what you are saying is the exact reason why you should _NOT_ play ranked in 2 more levels.

Also, baring in mind I am still a baddy; try playing Support for 10 games. Your awareness will just snowball (in a positive way). It's a tip I've read on several sites and definitely something that is well worth trying. Also, from what I've heard the current free Champ, Lulu, is one of the strongest supports in the current Meta (then again I heard this from a pro mate I don't actually know myself).

Nah i do have a very good grasp of alot of champs and can play all roles fine, its just that when i jungle with Hecarim i tend to carry hard. I think its cause of the fact when im in the jungle people depend on me more than i on them. Top and mid also similar in that sense but have more of a duty to stay in lane rather than a jungle who can roam and apply pressure to those who are failing the most.

That being said most of my favourite champs are ADC but there is always the problem of my support being rubbish. Nothing worse than being in bot with a bad support or bad ADC. But when you do lane with a good team mate its a beautiful thing

Advertisement