Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror as victim kicked to death over 70c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

A MAN was kicked to death in Dublin city centre -- in a row over 70 cent.

Witnesses have described how the victim, Noel Fagan (40), was kicked up to 10 times in the vicious attack in broad daylight.

Mr Fagan, originally from Finglas but living in the Stoneybatter area, was set upon outside an internet cafe at Wellington Quay beside the Ha'penny Bridge at around 4pm.

It is understood Mr Fagan was attacked after a row broke out when he refused to pay a small debt, believed to be just 70 cent.

He was rushed to St James' Hospital but medics were unable to save him and he died from his injuries.

Gardai arrested a 34-year-old man at the scene outside the e-Times cafe and he was brought to Pearse Street Garda Station.

The suspect was being held under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, which allows gardai to hold him without charge for up to 24 hours.

The attack happened in broad daylight on the city's south quays, in front of members of the public, including tourists.

The road is also an extremely busy bus route, with many stops located in the vicinity.

"I hadn't realised that anything had happened until the evening when I walked by some guards," a hairdresser based on Wellington Quay said.

Daughter

"It would have been around 6pm at the time. There was some blood on the floor as far as I could see --it was pretty gruesome, so I just carried on."

Reports stated the victim had just received a text message from his daughter asking him to call her.

He was about to make the call when he became involved in an argument with another man, who claimed he was owed 70 cent.

Words were exchanged and Mr Fagan offered 40 cent to settle the dispute and began walking away.

However, he was followed and then attacked, receiving punches and then kicks to the head when he was on the ground.

One witness said Mr Fagan must have been kicked "10 times, even when he was unconscious".

A friend of the victim jumped in to pull the attacker away -- but by then it was already too late.

An off-duty nurse tried to resuscitate Mr Fagan at the scene before he was rushed by ambulance to hospital.

The results of the post-mortem examination were expected to be known today.

Gardai are appealing for any witnesses to contact Pearse Street Garda Station on 01 669-9000, or by using the confidential telephone line, 1800 666111.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Not surprised in the least, almost every row I have seen in Dublin in the last few years has been down around there. Junkies sleep in the Internet cafe as it's €5 from midnight to 8am for a PC. They just get one and then sleep in the chair and don't even use the PC.

That whole quay is a rough spot though. From that cafe to up past the Gypsy Rose, there is always scumbag junkies walking around like zombies looking for trouble. Police presence in the area is a joke.

Actually, wasn't a female Guard kicked around in that very spot last year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ive never heard the like if this before, so a poor man goes into a internet cafe and someone working there kicks him 10 times:mad:, this country is getting worse by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Not just this story but the usual crap in Dublin and Ireland makes me so ashamed to be a Dubliner and Irish.

I live outside the city and these no life's are the exact reason I avoid at all costs going near the city.

In before the 'there is scum everywhere' claim. The people on view in the city centre far outweigh anything positive about the City. In mass numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

10 kicks before anyone stepped in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

There's not even anything I can say to that
    We could really do with having that outside of our nations capitals city centre but you're just miving it elsewhere then
    There's some bad bastards out there, I'm just ahppy I or anyone I care about hasn't crosased the ****ers yet
    Red Angels anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

feel sick and disgusted reading that... We need life sentence in this country, LIFE, not feckin' 8 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

WindSock wrote: »

Its sad but you know yourself, your average person wont step in when there is a fight happening. Especially if some junkie / skanger looking guy is involved.

Of course a debate can be opened about stepping in and then getting seriously messed up yourself.

Yeah but the person who stepped in was his friend. Not just a bystander. I don't even know how people can watch someone getting kicked to the head and without at least trying to intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Disgusting but not surprising unfortunately,rough auld spot up that way,most times I've been waiting for the bus up there there's usually vocal arguments between various different addicts.

Hopefully the Guards have the right man in custody and he's convicted.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Yeah but the person who stepped in was his friend. Not just a bystander. I don't even know how people can watch someone getting kicked to the head and without at least trying to intervene.

I agree. It's an instinctual thingm as far as I know or am aware, you stand in to prevent another human being be battered to death. Often ill advised to stand in in fairness but common deceny, and instinct tells you that you should.
    But it isn't something you think about, it's something you just feel compelled to do. And that's what totally confuses me about these scummers, that they seem to have no compassion for life. /i tend to call it nurture, though a lot is nature no doubt, but I don't know and it confuses me. And ****in depressesme, how much easier os it to just get along? Maybe some folk jjust dont know what thats like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

****ing hell.replace cent with euro and it might make some sense. I'm glad I didn't move to the quays then.

I know man :(
    If someone is being kicked repeatedly ... and you can step in. You kinda have to step in. That persons life can be potentially saved from your actions.

As for the friend in question ... i reckon this will haunt him for a good few years. Only an absolute bollix could pass it off as "ah sure thats life" - Im pretty sure he'll be asking the same question over and over again.... 'If Only i stopped him before I did'

truly sickening tho.
    You know my Da has always said city centre at night time can be dangerous. A statement coming from a man who did his fair share of crazy sh*t when he was younger. I always thought that was a bit cowardly to be 'afraid' to go out in town when I was younger (being foolish) but now that i'm in my mid-20s.... he is right. I understand what he meant. Dont be hanging around town. Like if you go for a night out. Grand. But dont be hanging around for an hour or two after the pubs close. Dont know what as*hole you'll meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

70 cent or €50, it doesn't make a difference when the principle of someone owing you something stands. There will always be that wrong person who you owe something to and they'll take it to another level to teach you a lesson.

Sickening stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Here's the attack on a female Guard I was referring to, in pretty much the same spot.

Some people even video'd in on their phones rather than, ya know .. actually help her.
    Savage attack on woman garda

A FEMALE garda suffered a savage attack on a busy Dublin street as people recorded the incident on their mobile phones.

The officer was bitten in the face and attacked with a bottle in the horrific incident which happened in broad daylight on Aston Quay.

However, despite the large crowds of passers-by, no one came to the aid of the young woman and some even began recording the ongoing attack on their phones.

Three youths, including one 17-year-old girl, have been arrested after the incident. The woman was left her with facial injuries and bruises to the body in the incident which saw her beaten all over and her eyes gouged.

A 17-year-old girl was arrested and was questioned by gardai. She was later released without charge. Two further youths, aged 18 and 20, were arrested and charged with public order offences.

Gardai who rushed to their colleague’s aid had to stop one bystander filming the injured garda on his mobile phone. The garda was on patrol alone at the time of the frenzied assault on Thursday evening.

The garda, who is in her 20s, is based at Pearse Street Station.
    DRINKING

She had spoken to a gang of youths about drinking in public when the attack happened. And as the attack was taking place, one of the gang of youths she had confronted told bystanders: “It serves her right, she’s a pig.”

The officer is now recovering at home after being taken to hospital for treatment. Michael O’Boyce of the Garda Representative Association hit out at the lack of assistance from the public.

“Not only did members of the public not come to her assistance, but they stood by and captured it on their mobile phones,” he added.

Anthony Comiskey, a witness who came on the scene at Aston Quay just after the attack at around 8pm, said he was shocked by what he saw. Mr Comiskey, a credit controller, told the Herald: “She was sitting on the footpath being tended to by some colleagues.

She looked a bit stunned. Someone who saw what happened said she had been attacked with a bottle or a glass. She was on her own and nobody stepped in to help her. A guy in a grey tracksuit at the scene actually said to a few people: ‘It serves her right, she’s a pig.’”

“I just shook my head and said, ‘you’re wrong’.” “He was part of a small gang at the scene. I was told there were a few girls and some fellas drinking and the garda went up to them and told them it wasn’t allowed.
    AMBULANCE

“The girl involved was being put into a garda van and an ambulance arrived.” Gardai investigating the attack said it was “not unusual” for female officers to patrol busy areas alone at that time.

“Gardai have arrested a female aged 17 as a result of a serious assault on a female garda member which occurred at Merchant’s Arch,” a spokesman said.

He said the officer had suffered “serious enough” injuries, but was discharged from hospital that night and was now convalescing at home. Her injuries included a bloody nose, sprained fingers and bruising to her body.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Theres scumbags in every city. However, in Dublin they tend to be concentrated in the city centre which cant be good for local business, tourism and the quality of life. New York had a much worse situtation up until the mid 90s. A high Garda presence would do wonders.

Blikes wrote: »
    feel sick and disgusted reading that... We need life sentence in this country, LIFE, not feckin' 8 years!
    +1. Dont agree with the death penalty but life should mean life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the sad thing is you are viewed as foolish by many if you intervene in a dispute these days.

Why do those sorts hang around that spot in particular? It's one of the few places in town I really dislike walking through.

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Theres scumbags in every city. However, in Dublin they tend to be concentrated in the city centre which cant be good for local business, tourism and the quality of life. New York had a much worse situtation up until the mid 90s. A high Garda presence would do wonders.

I might as well be the one to say it. As I hate sugar coating things (or should I say being "pc" )

city centre, and surrounding areas, have a lot of flats. Sure across the road from the Ilac centre you have dominic street flats. You get scum in these areas.

Console wrote: »
    I might as well be the one to say it. As I hate sugar coating things (or should I say being "pc" )

city centre, and surrounding areas, have a lot of flats. Sure across the road from the Ilac centre you have dominic street flats. You get scum in these areas.
    I know thats one of the causes. A high garda presence and really aggressive policing would keep stuff like this to a minimum..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I know lots of decent,respectable people that live in flat complexes in and around the inner city,the problem is that most of the addiction treatment services are located in and around the city center(Trinity Court on Pearse Street,Merchants Quay,Anna Livia on Abbey Street,Amiens Street clinic etc)which draws the addicts into the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That poor man's daughter must be in bits.
    Sending him a text, waiting for him to call back and then that happens.
    Aw, man :(.

The cùnt who did it shouldn't see the light of day ever again.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I know thats one of the causes. A high garda presence and really aggressive policing would keep stuff like this to a minimum..

Yeah.
    its funny, just thought about something .....
    According to here there are over 14,000 gardai in this country.
    And here it says there is nearly 5 million people living in this country.

No wonder there are so much crimes.
    its a 0.75% ratio of cops to population. wow. freaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know lots of decent,respectable people that live in flat complexes in and around the inner city,the problem is that most of the addiction treatment services are located in and around the city center(Trinity Court on Pearse Street,Merchants Quay,Anna Livia on Abbey Street,Amiens Street clinic etc)which draws the addicts into the city centre.

Now it doesn't realy solve the underlying issue but I wondered for a long time why they don't move the treatment centres down nearer the port
    Not a residental area and there are not many shops down there to rob.

It's an industrial area and there is security there to secure a lot of areas.
    I'm not saying out of sight, out of mind but the city centre, the boardwalk, businesses for locals and tourists are dealing with it now.

Just nearer the port makes sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭teddy_303

J. Marston wrote: »
    That poor man's daughter must be in bits.
    Sending him a text, waiting for him to call back and then that happens.
    Aw, man :(.

The cùnt who did it shouldn't see the light of day ever again.

He probably needed the few poxy cent that a$$ wipe killed him for just to call her from a payphone. cnut indeed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ive never heard the like if this before, so a poor man goes into a internet cafe and someone working there kicks him 10 times:mad:, this country is getting worse by the day.

Why does this not shock as much as it should? All too common in this Republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

****ing hell.replace cent with euro and it might make some sense. I'm glad I didn't move to the quays then.

So the price of a life to you is 70 euro:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still, the queen was safe, thank god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Dublin is a complete ****hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Why do those sorts hang around that spot in particular? It's one of the few places in town I really dislike walking through.

Possibly historically connected to traffic to/from the Merchants Quay Project (offering services to drug addicts, homeless, hiv cases etc since the 80s afaik)? Either way that whole strip has been trouble for as long as I can remember. If I have to go down that way I'll generally use one of the alternative routes to avoid any run-ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Console wrote: »

It's not so much the flats as it is the high density of halfway houses, methadone clinics and drug rehabilitation centres.

Long story short, the city centre gets the vast vast majority of these because politicians and residents understandably doesn't want them in their back yard. The city centre as a voting centre isn't all that organized.

If you doubt me, get on the Red Line Luas. The reason there are so many junkies and scum on it when it goes out to the burbs is because the centres they're referred to aren't in their neighbourhood, but in the city centre.

Yeah but they seem to be there at all hours of the day. It's not just junkies, its all manner of scaries. But yeah, where do you shift the problem to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah but they seem to be there at all hours of the day. It's not just junkies, its all manner of scaries. But yeah, where do you shift the problem to?
    Because the non-junkies attend drug counselling etc, halfway houses are also for ex-prisoners, people who've had social welfare interventions etc.

Honestly, ask them, you'll be surprised how few of them are from within a five mile circle of the ha'penny.

Most places outside the city centre have removed public seating etc as a way to prevent the buildup of "undesirables" but unfortunately this doesn't mean that people stay home and start reading books and knitting, they just move to the next most accessible area with seating etc and "amenities" (read shoplifting and begging opportunities) and that is unfortunately the city centre since most of them have free travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

bonerm wrote: »
    Possibly historically connected to traffic to/from the Merchants Quay Project (offering services to drug addicts, homeless, hiv cases etc since the 80s afaik)? Either way that whole strip has been trouble for as long as I can remember. If I have to go down that way I'll generally use one of the alternative routes to avoid any run-ins.

Who decided to put this facility in the city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

It's getting beyond a joke in town now, Zero tolerance policing is the way to go, make their lives a misery instead and give our city streets back to those who work, pay taxes etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Sounds like he deserved it to me..

The ignorance expressed in this thread is disgusting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Really??? Human Life from €70!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Sounds like he deserved it to me..

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

10 kicks within the blink of an eye, the culprit was Chinese. Martial arts, put two and two together.

Personally I detest any of these disease ridden internet cafés, junkies dribbling and puking all over keyboards, PC's riddled with viruses, spam, leaving your personnal details wide open to pillaging they charge you between 50c and €1,50 for printing out each A4 sheet of paper even if it comes out arseways.

Thanks to netbooks, smart phones and wifi spots these places are becoming less significant in todays society and hopefully some day soon we shall see the back of them.

mattjack wrote: »
    ?
    :eek:

:eek:

he deserved to be kicked to death ?

sollar wrote: »
    Who decided to put this facility in the city centre?

merchants quay was originally set up by a religious order based on the quays..treatment for addicts and homeless from late 80s, early 90s i think...but the the order has been there for hundreds of years..thousands have been cared for there...and MQI is recognised across the world for its endeavours.

mattjack wrote: »
    he deserved to be kicked to death ?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

10 kicks within the blink of an eye, the culprit was Chinese. Martial arts, put two and two together.

Personally I detest any of these disease ridden internet cafés, junkies dribbling and puking all over keyboards, PC's riddled with viruses, spam, leaving your personnal details wide open to pillaging they charge you between 50c and €1,50 for printing out each A4 sheet of paper even if it comes out arseways.

Thanks to netbooks, smart phones and wifi spots these places are becoming less significant in todays society and hopefully some day soon we shall see the back of them.

I remember 6 years ago they were all shabby thrown together crap holes with **** PCs and these make shift telephone booths. I'd be afraid to log into hotmail account on them, never mind use them for something important. Thankfully netbooks and cheap prepay mobile broadband has killed most of this.

I do like the really good internet cafes which are designed more like the South Korean PC Bangs. Xtreme Gaming on Liffey Street is the only internet cafe I'd use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Really??? Human Life from €70!! :confused:

You got there a little late,someone else already expressed their shock and awe at my statement :rolleyes:
    Come on use your brains,you know that's not what i'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I remember 6 years ago they were all shabby thrown together crap holes with **** PCs and these make shift telephone booths. I'd be afraid to log into hotmail account on them, never mind use them for something important. Thankfully netbooks and cheap prepay mobile broadband has killed most of this.

I do like the really good internet cafes which are designed more like the South Korean PC Bangs. Xtreme Gaming on Liffey Street is the only internet cafe I'd use.

Not long ago there was 4 internet cafe's in Ennis, they varied between €1 per hour to €3 per hour. The €3 was well worth it because scum wouldn't use it, the place was clean and well looked after. The best places will reboot the PC after use swiping any history content. One of the cheaper places got caught for using pirated software and didn't last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Xtreme Gaming on Liffey Street is the only internet cafe I'd use.

Ah, but that's cos they have a very strict door policy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement