Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asparagus

Options
  • 22-05-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

so whats the story with planting asparagus?
    is it too late to plant it this year?
    when will i be able to get my first crop?
    and once i pick the first crop will there be another crop again the following year? a bit like rhuburb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

hi,
    Typically Asprgus are planed in early Spring, though I have planted them later in the year with success. how soon you can pick them depends on whether you grow from seed or crown. I have only gown from crown and picked sparingly in the second year. straight onto the grill, tastes great

the books say you can get up 20 years from an Asparagus bed, ,so good investment and worth the wait. If you decide to go ahead check out planting instructions on line and ensure you have a well prepared bed( weeded and manured)

CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

Clare man wrote: »
    hi,
    Typically Asprgus are planed in early Spring, though I have planted them later in the year with success. how soon you can pick them depends on whether you grow from seed or crown. I have only gown from crown and picked sparingly in the second year. straight onto the grill, tastes great

the books say you can get up 20 years from an Asparagus bed, ,so good investment and worth the wait. If you decide to go ahead check out planting instructions on line and ensure you have a well prepared bed( weeded and manured)

CM
    And try to keep the slugs away from them! I couldn't understand why mine weren't coming up, then I realised they were being literally nipped in the bud. Annoying!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So, I've planted a dozen crowns a couple of months ago. Most have grown, waiting on a few more.
    1st. Year. What do I do with the ones that have sprouted, just leave them there to wilt away themselves?

Advertisement