Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safely transporting large dogs

• 22-05-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Help... we have 2 growing puppies who currently use the Hunter Car safety harness in the back set of an x-trail. But they will soon out grow the largest version of these available and are already getting very cramped in the back seat..

I am considering using the tail guards but have heard horror stories about the 'non-custom' fit ones... my google fu has only found UK companies that will make and ship model specific ones..my next issue is how do I make sure that the girls won't get thrown around if we did crash...should I still use a safety harness as well..plan would be to drop the back seats but still use the belt points..

Anyone got advice on how to safely and comfortably transport large dogs(expect them to be ~85 to 90kg fully grown) and not have to remorgage house to do so :-)..........;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

This is of no help whatsoever but what breed of dog do you own that will grow to 85-90kg fully grown? :eek: And you have 2 of them! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

Zapperzy wrote: »
    This is of no help whatsoever but what breed of dog do you own that will grow to 85-90kg fully grown? :eek: And you have 2 of them! :eek: :eek:

;) they are St Bernese and at 7.5 months already 40.5 kg.... big cuddle monstors!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

;) they are St Bernese and at 7.5 months already 40.5 kg.... big cuddle monstors!

Are they st bernards? Or bernese? At 7.5 months with 40.5, for either breed, they shouldn't be much more then 75 (80 at the max) kilos fully grown. My big fella is just 7months and 42 kgs, so should be 80 at the max fully grown without being overweight. (also, i demand pics of these cuddle monsters!!:D)

Anywho, with my two at the moment I have one on the backseat with a seatbelt and one in the boot (without the cover on obviously) with his seatbelt tied down. Its about the only option we have right now, though the big fella spends most of the time with his head out the window so he doesn't take up the entire backseat. Eventually I will have to drop the backseat and hope to still use the seatbelts by rigging them up somehow.

Shanao wrote: »
    Are they st bernards? Or bernese? At 7.5 months with 40.5, for either breed, they shouldn't be much more then 75 (80 at the max) kilos fully grown. My big fella is just 7months and 42 kgs, so should be 80 at the max fully grown without being overweight. (also, i demand pics of these cuddle monsters!!:D)

Anywho, with my two at the moment I have one on the backseat with a seatbelt and one in the boot (without the cover on obviously) with his seatbelt tied down. Its about the only option we have right now, though the big fella spends most of the time with his head out the window so he doesn't take up the entire backseat. Eventually I will have to drop the backseat and hope to still use the seatbelts by rigging them up somehow.

They are both! Cross of St Bernard (dad) and Bernese MT dog (mum) and the estimate comes from the parents (so who knows??) would be easier if they did end up more in the 75-80 range ;) ... pic's are here sam and dean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LOL! I was thinking the other day how I'd manage that task as I was putting my guy in the back of the car and one of the lil' monsters was getting ready to get in to your jeep at DTI. I met the babies as they were coming out and gave them a pet, got my guy, had a chat to the girls, put my guy, drove over and waited a minute, got fed up and got out and rang the buzzer thing until the gate opened :rolleyes: and your hubby pulled up beside me at the lights!:pac:
    Anyhoos.. we have a clix harness, connecting belt, halfords grill and ramp. The connecting belt is connected to the buckle in the back seats and feeds thru the split into the boot. The harness stays in the car connected to the connector belt so it's just a matter of throwing the harness over his head and clipping it closed at the sides. He uses a ramp to get in the boot - jumping in and out is wear on his joints that we don't need. The whole process takes a few seconds - much less than getting him to jump in the back and trying to click the harness into the buckle like we did in the old days.
    For your two I'd definitely drop the rear seats and have the harnesses ready to go with connector belts buckled in. I'd want a heavy duty grill as well - I wonder if any of the places who convert private cars/jeeps to commercials would be to make/fit a grill? I'm not sure if crates would work out as they'd need to be huge and I'd be worried about having them secured in the back?

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    LOL! I was thinking the other day how I'd manage that task as I was putting my guy in the back of the car and one of the lil' monsters was getting ready to get in to your jeep at DTI. I met the babies as they were coming out and gave them a pet, got my guy, had a chat to the girls, put my guy, drove over and waited a minute, got fed up and got out and rang the buzzer thing until the gate opened :rolleyes: and your hubby pulled up beside me at the lights!:pac:
    Anyhoos.. we have a clix harness, connecting belt, halfords grill and ramp. The connecting belt is connected to the buckle in the back seats and feeds thru the split into the boot. The harness stays in the car connected to the connector belt so it's just a matter of throwing the harness over his head and clipping it closed at the sides. He uses a ramp to get in the boot - jumping in and out is wear on his joints that we don't need. The whole process takes a few seconds - much less than getting him to jump in the back and trying to click the harness into the buckle like we did in the old days.
    For your two I'd definitely drop the rear seats and have the harnesses ready to go with connector belts buckled in. I'd want a heavy duty grill as well - I wonder if any of the places who convert private cars/jeeps to commercials would be to make/fit a grill? I'm not sure if crates would work out as they'd need to be huge and I'd be worried about having them secured in the back?

;) Yeap it does take a while!!! I think we will go with the harness, ramp and tailgate grill option as well.... just need to go rob a bank first :D ... I have found a company in UK who will ship the grill for the x-trail..but wanted to see what others where using/recommended first...

Gotta ask, are you sure there's bernese in them? I cant see any bernese in them at all, only st bernard. They look like purebreds

Gotta ask, are you sure there's bernese in them? I cant see any bernese in them at all, only st bernard. They look like purebreds

I know! It is more evident in Dean's coat and eyes than Sam. Sam really doesn't appear to have much of the Bernese at all and is slightly bigger than her sister..but to be honest we don't really mind what they are...they are perfect for us...:D

They're gorgeous dogs alright, you must have fun when they're shedding though. My two are in shed at the mo and there's a carpet of fur on the floor of their room. :D

They're gorgeous dogs alright, you must have fun when they're shedding though. My two are in shed at the mo and there's a carpet of fur on the floor of their room. :D

We are thinking of taking out shares in dyson or wondering if we can start a new eco carpet trend..dog fur mats..only by natural shedding of course :p

So, any pics of your two???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sam and Dean.....Supernatural fan maybe? Funny as I just watched the season 6 finale and then here was the first place I visited, strange.:eek:

Sam and Dean.....Supernatural fan maybe? Funny as I just watched the season 6 finale and then here was the first place I visited, strange.:eek:

We have no idea what you are talking about ;) our names are agents Jimmy Page and Robert Plant from the FBI............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

We have no idea what you are talking about ;) our names are agents Jimmy Page and Robert Plant from the FBI............

Hah, love it! We named our Rosie after Doctor Who's Rose and Jack after Captain Jack Harkness. I think we may have missed a trick with Meg - should have called her TARDIS. Give the neighbours more to talk about! ;)

The dogs are absolutely beautiful!

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Hah, love it! We named our Rosie after Doctor Who's Rose and Jack after Captain Jack Harkness. I think we may have missed a trick with Meg - should have called her TARDIS. Give the neighbours more to talk about! ;)

The dogs are absolutely beautiful!

Tardis - awesome name for a dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Loving the names, wish we were more original when we got our 2. Bonny and Clyde altho looking at the amount of trouble they get into its quite apt:rolleyes:

Advertisement