Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witcher 2 problems.

Options
  • 22-05-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I just finished installing the witcher 2 and was looking forward to playing it, however it runs horribly, very slow even on the lowest settings, however my computer has all the required specs, and when i run auto detect in the config program it sets it to medium graphics by default, really not sure what to do, the game is almost unplayable.

My system specs are

Intel i5 430m 2.26 ghz

4gb ram

Ati mobility radeon hd 5850 1gb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Turn off ubersampling in the advanced settings if you haven't done so already (it went from 10-12fps with that on, to an almost steady 60fps with it off for me!)

It recommended medium for me as well, and I've got an i7 and a 6950 ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

its already done, have no idea why its running so badly, can't even get away from the dragon its so laggy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Update your graphics drivers maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

There's a patch coming soon but there's a post on the official site with some things you can try if you have an ATI graphics card:

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/26/
    Poor performance on a high-end GPU

Please install the latest drivers for your graphic card, and for nVidia cards, uninstall 3D Vision.

If you are experiencing low efficiency, please make sure you have disabled UberSampling in the game's graphic configuration in the Launcher. If you have an nVidia graphics card, please update your driver to the 275.27 beta as of May 17th.

As for ATI users:

1) Install latest drivers ATI Hotfix.

2) DIsable anisothropic filter, antialiasing and adaptive antialiasing and Catalyst A.I.; this can be done in the CCC panel.

3) Try running the game in windowed mode.

4) For dual cards linked into crossfire, turn off one of the cards or use the Dirt 2 profile.

AMD/ATI plans to release hotfix drivers dedicated to The Witcher 2. They will resolve problems with game's efficiency for crossfire users. This information will appear on:
    http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/Catalyst-Hotfixes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

There's definitely something up with it on ATI cards. I'm running a 4890, which is old enough now so I would be happy to play on medium even though it recommends high, but it doesn't matter what I set it to, the game runs at around 30 - 40 fps with drops to 20 at 1920 *1200!

This is with an i7 860 and 4GB RAM!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've an ati 5850, i7920 and six gigs ram.. ran fine after I updated the gfx drivers, running in 1920x1080
    one or two instances of slow down, very minor and only in very specific areas of particular maps

What sort of framerate?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

right everythings turned down to low now and its windowed, theres definitely something up here, hopefully a fix will be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm running on a 5850 on 1900 x 1200 on High.

It was a little choppy till I downloaded ATI 11.5a hot fix

fasty wrote: »
    What sort of framerate?

how do I check that :)

• Advertisement

An app called FRAPS will display the framerate for you, but don't worry about it! I'll just wait for the patch.

a yeah, not arsed downloading fraps was wondering if there was something in witcher 2 i could enable to find out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Not being smart but is it a legit version of the game, reports of very low fps with a certain cracked version.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I can't help you on your problems :(, sorry, but this might be interesting for other Witcher 2 players. There was the first patch released last week. It helped me a lot, hope it helps you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Gummy Panda is right
    ATI 11.5a hot fix
    i was getting terrible frame rates with crossfire 5850 low 20's
    after hotfix with most settings on high, uber sampling turned off rarely dips below 60fps at 1920x1200

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i bought this last week and it wouldn't authenticate the game and all the online solutions didn't work and i had to crack the game in order for it to work

Advertisement