Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tGC Summer Beers - Saturday June 25th - Lafayette

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's programs like that reafirm to me that I was right to give up the telly habit. 10 minute news update in the morning and the occasional film. Everything else is pants.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's programs like that reafirm to me that I was right to give up the telly habit. 10 minute news update in the morning and the occasional film. Everything else is pants.

Ah you can't beat a good doco if you can get it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Friday June 17th
    OldGoat wrote: »

Speaking as somebody who goes to the theatre often, has read every Shakespeare play, watches every Palme D'Or winner, reads 14th Century Literature etc (in other words I'm fairly snobbish about entertainment), I can say that the past 15 years have been American TVs golden age. The only comparable period in American history were movies in the 1970s.

True Blood'S third series was actually fantastic. Not as good as The Wire (as good as any great American novel), The Sopranos, Arrested Development and a few others (Game of Thrones looks like joining that list) but very good nonetheless. You're really, really missing out on TV that is as good as any other mode of storytelling in history.

I am available to discuss this with anybody at the beers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Speaking as somebody who goes to the theatre often, has read every Shakespeare play, watches every Palme D'Or winner, reads 14th Century Literature etc
    You should start all your sentences with that.

Screw You Hippies!
    arrested development is awesome. so is big bang theory
    dont watch all that much tv now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Larianne wrote: »
    Ah you can't beat a good doco if you can get it!! :)

The standard of documentaries has become very tabloidy in recent years. There's a new series on Nat Geo Wild called 'Rise Of...'. The episode I watched was about the burmese python's invasion of the Florida Everglades. It posed the question, "Could these snakes grow to even greater sizes in their new habitat?". The summary was along the lines of, "Well there was a giant snake in prehistoric times, so why not?". Rubbish science altogether.
    Feck documentaries!
    http://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/the-framing-of-scientists/#more-5504
    Yes. If you are not sitting next to a series of flasks full of coloured liquids then you are obviously not a scientist. Most of them also have a human skeleton in the background too. This is madness. I’ve ranted before about the ‘labcoat = scientist’ thing in the media (and ironically this show mad a joke about that, despite doing this!). Even if you are a Nobel Laureate, have a Knighthood or Professorship, people clearly won’t buy your credibility as a ‘scientist’ without some coloured liquids.

Galvasean wrote: »
    The standard of documentaries has become very tabloidy in recent years. There's a new series on Nat Geo Wild called 'Rise Of...'. The episode I watched was about the burmese python's invasion of the Florida Everglades. It posed the question, "Could these snakes grow to even greater sizes in their new habitat?". The summary was along the lines of, "Well there was a giant snake in prehistoric times, so why not?". Rubbish science altogether.
    Feck documentaries!
    http://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/the-framing-of-scientists/#more-5504

I said good doco! ;)

Friday June 17th
    You should start all your sentences with that.

In fairness I was making a point (i.e I'm not some knuckle dragging, reality TV loving goon!)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I like beer... So wherever....

(Dublin Only :-p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Screw You Hippies!
    Feck documentaries!
    I don't watch documentaries a great deal as I find the same thing, the good ones are hard to look-for/find; I love watching any Louis Theroux documentary stuff though :)
    The guy always does something interesting; his Weird Weekends documentaries from 10-15 years ago in particular, can be hilarious.

This is a good clip from the Black Nationalism one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0M_MyTdpE
    (hard to believe the guys are serious :))
    In that video, I love the 'black singer who looks white' part; how the first person to come into your mind there is Micheal Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Screw You Hippies!
    hmm.... just curious though, where exactly does pints for less than that? or significantly less? i just read something about them doing deals up until 11pm so i dunno. don't know the place at all like, was just suggesting it as i heard of that.

oh hai you, btw :)
    Its grand, but not good for a chat, fair amount of knackers and pricey beer/cider :(

And hai to you to, shall see you at le beers :)

Louis Theroux is a good one. In fact I think auterism is important in documentary these days. if someone is willing to put their name* on a docu there is a better chance of it being good, like David Attenborough for example. Unlike the souless National Geographic and Discovery Channel ones which have bombarded us over the last 5 years. they were once great sources. Alas now they are becoming increasingly tabloidy and at worst reality TV style (Whale Wars, AxMen etc.)

*Unless your name is bear grylls and you fake the whole damn thing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Screw You Hippies!
    Had to vote LaFayette, purely because I'm interested in the place and have not set foot inside yet...if a two-choice poll was there, I'd have thrown in a vote for GBS as its a nice place.

The others have been sweatboxes whenever I've been there, not good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Screw You Hippies!
    Looks like I'm going to be in the States when this is on, so thats Dakota back to 0 votes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Screw You Hippies!
    My vote can be bought now if any one wishes to do so.Besides the gypsy rose I don't know them pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Friday June 24th
    Don't know any of those places either, I'll go wherever.

As long as the Guinness is good and there's some decent whiskey. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Screw You Hippies!
    Don't know any of those places either, I'll go wherever.

As long as the Guinness is good and there's some decent whiskey. :pac:

No shots for you :P

Friday June 24th
    No shots for you :P

Its a sin to shoot whiskey. If I do suggest doing liquid heroin shots then yes you can intervene.

Screw You Hippies!
    Its a sin to shoot whiskey. If I do suggest doing liquid heroin shots then yes you can intervene.

Deal!

but if you get aggressive I'll be ringing the squadies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Screw You Hippies!
    Louis Theroux is a good one. In fact I think auterism is important in documentary these days. if someone is willing to put their name* on a docu there is a better chance of it being good, like David Attenborough for example. Unlike the souless National Geographic and Discovery Channel ones which have bombarded us over the last 5 years. they were once great sources. Alas now they are becoming increasingly tabloidy and at worst reality TV style (Whale Wars, AxMen etc.)

*Unless your name is bear grylls and you fake the whole damn thing :P
    Ya Attenborough is another one of the documentarians you can just always watch when on (even if ya wouldn't seek stuff out), as all the stuff is really good :)

Yea I think the only one thing I miss from having cable TV + Discovery years ago, was Myth Busters, heh (Kari Byron <3:D); I haven't watched TV much itself in years now, but yea National Geographic/Discovery were both good when we first got them, but did notice after a while the quality went down a lot (don't think there's much educational benefit watching Bear Grylls give himself an enema, heh).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Screw You Hippies!
    Lafayette is winning thus far anyway.If it comes down to it,the venue with the most "real" votes will get it.

At least with that venue its central to everywhere so if its lame its easy to find somewhere else.

Lafayette is winning thus far anyway.If it comes down to it,the venue with the most "real" votes will get it.

At least with that venue its central to everywhere so if its lame its easy to find somewhere else.

I was just thinking about that place last night. Hopefully it's not lame, since I suggested it. :o I'll try find out about drinks/scope out the place tomorrow.

Yeah, Doyles is only around the corner! ;)

Friday June 17th
    I was just thinking about that place last night. Hopefully it's not lame, since I suggested it. :o I'll try find out about drinks/scope out the place tomorrow.

If it is lame I'll pout and give you shifty eyes all night. And give everybody a French Fancy except you :pac:

Screw You Hippies!

I wouldn't mind heading back to Doyles, last time I bumped into an old friend and he told me to text him - but I've lost his number :(

I wouldn't mind heading back to Doyles, last time I bumped into an old friend and he told me to text him - but I've lost his number :(

oh yeah! ;)

:pac:

Screw You Hippies!
    oh yeah! ;)

Yup Yup

He is adorable, we used to work together years ago and I so miss hanging out with him. Doyles is his local so he is always there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Friday June 17th
    25th June? Awww... won't be there - will be at the Button Factory (Temple Bar Music Centre) watching "Corrosion Of Conformity" :cool:

the_syco wrote: »
    25th June? Awww... won't be there - will be at the Button Factory (Temple Bar Music Centre) watching "Corrosion Of Conformity" :cool:

Does that not end at a reasonable time though? You could come up after

Friday June 24th
    the_syco wrote: »

Aw man that'll be some gig. I don't think Pepper is with them this time round though right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Friday June 17th
    Does that not end at a reasonable time though? You could come up after
    A good ole metal gig like this one will probably go along the lines of: whilst listening to metal, have a BBQ, drink @ BBQ, then goto the gig, drink there, and then back to wherever the BBQ was held, and drink some more, before falling asleep in a bed.

So unfortunately I don't think I'll be attending the tGC beers...
    Aw man that'll be some gig. I don't think Pepper is with them this time round though right?
    Not sure. Don't think he was with them on a few gigs in the States. Seems the door is open if he wants to come back for CoC's next album, though.

Screw You Hippies!
    Well the votes have been cast and the winner,just about mind,is Lafayette.

I shall amend the OP and add a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Screw You Hippies!
    Ok, so would it be possible to post a link to google maps/streetview or something, as some of us heven't a clue where Lafayette actually is.
    PS I didnt vote in the poll cos I dont know most of the bars mentioned.
    Thanks Otis.

Screw You Hippies!
    Do you know Dublin at all John?

If you know where Q Bar is,just across O'Connell Bridge on the way towards Trinity/Grafton Street,coming from O'Connell St on the left hand side you will be walking towards it.

Lafayette is around the corner towards Grafton St from there and is just on the left hand side.

Here is a map location from their site.

Lafayette Locator

Im going to ring them and see if they will do any specials for us.They had a boards deal for their opening a while back.Will tell em it would be great free publicity if we get treated well.
    :)

Eamon Dorann's once treated the Noc forum badly and look what happened to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Screw You Hippies!
    Do you know Dublin at all John?

If you know where Q Bar is,just across O'Connell Bridge on the way towards Trinity/Grafton Street,coming from O'Connell St on the left hand side you will be walking towards it.

Lafayette is around the corner towards Grafton St from there and is just on the left hand side.

Here is a map location from their site.

Lafayette Locator

Im going to ring them and see if they will do any specials for us.They had a boards deal for their opening a while back.Will tell em it would be great free publicity if we get treated well.
    :)

I know my way round well enough from working there a few years ago, but not the location of bars/clubs at all. That sounds easy to find anyway.
    Thanks for the steer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't think I'll be doing anything that night so I should be able to attend.

Screw You Hippies!
    Excellent,the more the merrier.

I'll try scope out the place this weekend. I forgot last weekend. Sorry! Or is anyone else is about town to check it out and report back.

There is plenty of options to bail if the place is crap! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Might pop along to this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Should be able to make it. Last one was good fun! :)

• Advertisement

Screw You Hippies!
    I'll try scope out the place this weekend. I forgot last weekend. Sorry! Or is anyone else is about town to check it out and report back.

There is plenty of options to bail if the place is crap! :)

Ehh,failure is not an option Larianne.You have alot to live up to.Twas a lady that suggested the last venues and they were super duper so ya know,it better be awesome!

Misticles wrote: »
    Might pop along to this :)
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    Should be able to make it. Last one was good fun! :)

Good stuff guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Screw You Hippies!
    Craaap! Must book the hostel this weekend keep forgetting >.<

Now...time to spread the word :pac::D

Screw You Hippies!
    You sending the smoke signals from Greenland or did ya move to Galway yet Tuds?

Screw You Hippies!
    Have fun y'all, I shall raise a can to yiz.

yeah yeah you're going to the States, whatever! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I like this forum's style: thread for new beers starts the day after the beers! I think I'm free that night so I may be in attendance :D
    Hmmmm... hmmmm...
    Oh, I hardly ever wear heels. That was that one time. I know you were put out that I was taller than you. I won't wear them to these beers okay! :p
    Yeah, that's grand if you're coming from that part of town... :cool:
    Haven't been to Harry's but it was packed last time I past it.
    Oh, you should wear heels so that I can wear heels without feeling like a freak :o:pac:
    Lovely coats are men's secret fetish. "Would ya look at the size 10 Oasis on yer wan....:P"
    Oasis?! You, sir, know your high street fashion. I'm impressed! :):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Screw You Hippies!
    You sending the smoke signals from Greenland or did ya move to Galway yet Tuds?

That reminds me I must put new shoes on the horse make sure he fit for the journey down! :pac::p

Technically moved to Galway but aint gonna be fully living there for another few weeks.

The States ye gonna be in? Nice one.
    Where ye gonna be?

Hermione* wrote: »
    I like this forum's style: thread for new beers starts the day after the beers! I think I'm free that night so I may be in attendance :DOh, you should wear heels so that I can wear heels without feeling like a freak :o:pac:

Ah, you wore heels the last time and you weren't freakishly tall at all at all.

I might wear heels though. ;)

Screw You Hippies!
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    The States ye gonna be in? Nice one.
    Where ye gonna be?
    North San Diego county mainly, but will be doing a road trip to Panama and checking out a couple of other States at some stage too.
    ... maybe I should delay my flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Ah, you wore heels the last time and you weren't freakishly tall at all at all.
    Ah, good! Hate being too tall!
    w00t! \0/

• Advertisement
Advertisement