Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyefinity

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi i have a XFX Radeon HD 5770 in my Antec 1200 PC,connected up to my 27 inch monitor

I was thinking of selling that and getting 3 of these
    Samsung Sync Master BX2231 - LCD display - TFT -

and using eyefinity but would that work with a single 5770 or would i get a 5970 or 5870 ?

So i'm looking for some opinions and advice on that and if any1 has that setup already and if its good for gaming ?

The games i would be playing are BFBC2,MW2,crysis 2

Any help would be really appreciated thx :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You wouldn't have much of a chance of running those games on decent graphics settings with a 5770. What CPU do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

i have a I5-750 running at 3.7 GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have two overclocked HD6950s in crossfire and they struggle with Crysis 2 on 3 1080p monitors.

The minimum you would want is probably a 6950. Ideally CF 6950s if you can afford it, your motherboard supports it and you have a good enough PSU.

how much we talking for 6950 my psu is Corsair HX 750W

• Advertisement

Yeah that would run CF 6950s no problem.

happy days :) thx :)

sink wrote: »
    I have two overclocked HD6950s in crossfire and they struggle with Crysis 2 on 3 1080p monitors.

just reading ur message now silly me,so if your 2 HD 6950s are struggling with crysis 2,whats up from them then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

A 6990. Or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

just reading ur message now silly me,so if your 2 HD 6950s are struggling with crysis 2,whats up from them then ?

Only one practical option, two HD6970's. The HD6990 is overpriced, it's roughly equal to two unlocked HD6950's yet cost a lot more and is well outmatched by two HD6970's which are only marginally more expensive. Unless you are restricted for whatever reason to a single card, two single GPU cards is the better solution. Above that you could go the NVidia route and get a GTX590 or two GTX 580's but you need some serious cash.

Bear in mind Crysis 2 is the only game it really struggles with. I still get 60 fps on BF:BC2 and COD:MW2 maxed out. The Price-Performance ratio starts taking a serious hit when you go above two HD6950's. You're usually better off not going for the bleeding edge and instead upgrade more reguarly, in 6 months to a year there will be something out that smokes the best currently available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

You need 3 outputs.
    One for each screen.
    My 5770 had 2 dvi and 1 display port output, so you would need a display port mini to dvi cable and two dvi cables.

I only have 2 screens but I noticed zero graphical difference or lag when I tried it out.
    I went back to normal extended screens because the crosshairs was between the screens, so you need 3 or more screens and I'm not that rich.

ok cool lads thx for your advice i suppose its gonna cost me alright new monitors and graphics card :)

which is more popular nvidia or ati ? at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

ATI are a bit more popular due to a few generations of nVidia rebranding the same product and a hot and hungry 400 series. The GTX 460 and 500 series are nice though, so you won't go wrong with choosing either, but you'll need two nVidia cards for three monitors (on the other hand, you don't need to worry about display port and can have the physx/3D).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

sink wrote: »
    Crysis 2 is junk on 3 screens and horribly unoptimised, CryEngine 3 scales horrible when it comes to resolution, 1 screen works excellently, but it and Crysis 1/Warhead are the only games which do not run well on 1 card in eyefinity.

Crysis 2 doesnt support SLI or Crossfire properly either with lots of flickering/negative scaling etc., DX11 patch may help even when using a DX9 renderpath if the drivers from both camps finally support multicore( nvidia are the only ones with this sofar and only for a select 1-2 games )

I have a 6970, game at max settings usually, with 2xAA and i get 40FPS to 60FPS in all games, Bad Company 2, GTA IV, EFLC, Dragon Age, Mafia 2, Dead Space 1 & 2, Grid, Dirt 2 & 3, Darksiders, DMC4, cant say for The Witcher 2 as i still have to try the eyefinity hack etc. etc.

The only other game that struggles on an eyefinity setup is Metro 2033 but that struggles in 1 screen in DX11 maxed on any single card, for max settings with 1 screen for metro 2033 you need an SLI or Crossfire setup.
    ok cool lads thx for your advice i suppose its gonna cost me alright new monitors and graphics card :)

which is more popular nvidia or ati ? at the moment
    If you get an nvidia card you MUST SLI them for Nvidia surround, if you get an ATI card(s) you will need an adapter if one of the screens doesnt have a DisplayPort connection unless you get Sapphire Flex card which has 3 DVI's

The extra vram on the ati 6950/6970s is very beneficial, otherwise consider a 2gig nvidia 580/570 or 560 SLI setup.

Just a point to note, with flashed 6950's->6970's in crossfire a lot of applications like MSI Afterburner wont support overvolting in this configuration without a lot of pain as its deliberately disabled by the software.

So its really only 1 or 2 games that might struggle can live with that i guess :)

I have ati radeon 5770 already in my PC and its served me well haven't used nvidia before so kinda confused on what to go for ati or nvidia,or just stick with ati since i have.

but was reading custom pc magazine today and they done a review on sapphire HD6950 Flex and they were saying its ideal for three screen gaming

So its really only 1 or 2 games that might struggle can live with that i guess :)

I have ati radeon 5770 already in my PC and its served me well haven't used nvidia before so kinda confused on what to go for ati or nvidia,or just stick with ati since i have.

but was reading custom pc magazine today and they done a review on sapphire HD6950 Flex and they were saying its ideal for three screen gaming
    yeah its only a very very small collection that will struggle with a 1 card eyefinity setup( like i said nvidia surround needs sli ), if you have any particular games youre interested in performance in let me know, i have a tonne of games so be able to give you some feedback.

If i were you( im very price/performance orientated ) i would get a Sapphire 6950 Flex, flash it to a 6970( they have dual BIOS's so you can just flick a switch to restore it to factory settings again ) and see how you get on with it, if you think you need more power then add a second 6950 down the line( second hand when theyre cheaper ).

Im going to pickup a second 6970 in November for Battlefield 3( either that or a new ATI 7 series card depending on performance as theyre due november also ). Oh and im no ATI fanboy, i just go with price/performance, as i have an eyefinity adapter ive stayed with ATI since my 5850 but before that ive had a 7800GTX, 8800GT and 260

Alternatively, just to not be biased you could look at second hand 460 prices and SLI them or 560/Ti cards

thats cool and thx for your good advice :) think ill go Sapphire 6950 Flex and as u said in November when Battlefield 3 comes out grab another card as i pre ordered battlefield 3 the other day :)

Now all i have to do is look for 3 Screens that are good for gaming and pretty much sorted,ordering the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and the Razer Naga Epic
    the weekend :)

no probs dude, glad to help, make SURE you get a 2 gig 6950 though otherwise you will have problems enabling AA. Also if you do get another 6950 for BF3( i cant wait :) ), it can be a cheapo brand and doesnt have to be a Flex.

Very nice kb & mouse, i just replaced my trusty and much loved G5 with a G9 recently, i have a G15 kb with the LCD thing, its good for BF games as it gives stats such as ping, score etc.

cool ill deffo go with that,yeh ordered the mouse and keyboard hope dhl are quick cos there shipping is expensive lol :)

Advertisement