Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no name shotgun

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi LADS. I recently got my hands on this old SxS and there isn't any name on it,just what I think is an importers stamp. I was wondering if it is possible to tell the maker by the markings? As always,any help would be great. thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Post a picture of the barrel and action flats and the proof marks will give a better chance of finding the country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

rowa wrote: »
    Post a picture of the barrel and action flats and the proof marks will give a better chance of finding the country of origin.

Cheers.Will do,I'll get them up during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Warnants seems to have been a bonded import/exporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

Pat Clinton in lucan served his time therre he may be able to shed some light onit for you.

Hi all,just a few more pics of my mystery shotgun. all the measurements are in metric so maybe it came from outside Ireland/U.K.??? also,does anyone recognise any of the markings? thanks guys:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looking at it on phone. Spanish preliminary proofmark.
    Rs
    P.

Looking at it on phone. Spanish preliminary proofmark.
    Rs
    P.

Cheers pedro,my rfd thought that too.which mark did you get that off?

On your photo here https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/384836/160577.jpg
    I see 12 – 70, telling me it is a 12 gauge, proofed for a 70 (2 ¾ inch cartridge). To the right of your thumb the uppermost mark (a helmet over a shield containing crossed guns) is that of the Eibar Proofhouse, in use from the early 1930’s. Eibar, not too far from Bilbao, is the capital of the Spanish gunmaking industry. On the barrel flats there should be a capital letter followed by a 1 or a 2, which will give you the year. A2 is 1981, A3 is 1982, etc.

The letters PG stand for Pedro Gorosabel, (no relation!) a maker in Eibar. Gorosabel made guns for direct sale, but also made some to be rebranded or even finished elsewhere. They made – usually – workhorse guns, sturdy, unadorned guns that could take a certain amount of abuse in the field. They also made some nice sidelocks, but that was not their niche.I think they folded in the 1980's, a victim of the DIARM mess.

What you have appears to be a relatively plain boxlock with extractor and disc-set strikers. It should clean up well, so give it a bit of TLC and enjoy it!
    Rs
    P.

On your photo here http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=160577&d=1306417200
    I see 12 – 70, telling me it is a 12 gauge, proofed for a 70 (2 ¾ inch cartridge). To the right of your thumb the uppermost mark (a helmet over a shield containing crossed guns) is that of the Eibar Proofhouse, in use from the early 1930’s. Eibar, not too far from Bilbao, is the capital of the Spanish gunmaking industry. On the barrel flats there should be a capital letter followed by a 1 or a 2, which will give you the year. A2 is 1981, A3 is 1982, etc.

The letters PG stand for Pedro Gorosabel, (no relation!) a maker in Eibar. Gorosabel made guns for direct sale, but also made some to be rebranded or even finished elsewhere. They made – usually – workhorse guns, sturdy, unadorned guns that could take a certain amount of abuse in the field. They also made some nice sidelocks, but that was not their niche.I think they folded in the 1980's, a victim of the DIARM mess.

What you have appears to be a relatively plain boxlock with extractor and disc-set strikers. It should clean up well, so give it a bit of TLC and enjoy it!
    Rs
    P.

Nice one Pedro,thanks a million for taking the time to do that. By the way, did you ever think about going for a job with csi! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Very fine wire wool and a thin oil like 3 in 1 or similar would remove a lot of the rust marks on the metalwork , and bring it up like new , just be very gentle with it and don't scrub 7 versions out of it,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 baal

just to be safe, you should get someone to check the barrels and see if they are still in proof
    probably best to get someone who knows what they are doing too
    you dont want the barrel splitting and taking lumps out of your hand
    definitely something you will want to avoid there

CSI? Only a man who has himself gone in search of truth knows how deceptive is the blaze of evidence with which a proposition may suddenly dazzle his eyes. The light soon fails and the hunt is on again.

Who says I’m not on a retainer? :D Spanish guns are my hobby.

Only a fool would say ‘do not worry about proof’ without examining a gun, but I would be surprised if that gun had proof problems. The only way your PG could have proof issues is to have had several hundred thousand cartridges through it, or if the chambers had been lengthened to 75mm / 3 inches, or had a bulge in the barrels. The latter would be the most common and is easy to check visually. If it is ‘on face’ i.e. little/no movement between barrels and the back of the action when closed, the locking mechanism should be OK. To check the ribs, hold the barrels by the lug underneath, tap them with a pencil and if they ring clearly like a bell, the ribs are OK.

Rowa's advice is good, but personally I prefer a potscrub - the type used for a non-stick pan - because I believe it is less hard on the gun.
    Rs
    P.

Too late to edit a typo above, A3 should read B2, followed by C2,D2, etc.

Full list of all marks for Spanish guns here : http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones.html

Rs
    P.

Advertisement