Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Tarrifs-Western Australia

Options
  • 22-05-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I looked through the forum and couldn't find any up to date info, so here goes.

I'm currently on Vodafone here in Ireland, free calls and texts etc and it great.

I'm just wondering whats the story in Oz with phone costs..

1. Will I unlock my phone here before I go?
    2. Whats the best mobile phone provider in WA for regional area etc.
    3. Were bringing a Netbook and would like broadband also, what tarriffs would you reccommend that would work ok in the outback?
    4. Any other info on cheap tarrifs etc would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

rightyabe wrote: »

I'm currently on Vodafone here in Ireland, free calls and texts etc and it great.

3. Were bringing a Netbook and would like broadband also, what tarriffs would you reccommend that would work ok in the outback?

This is from Telstra website..anyone on this provider?
    http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/coverage/state.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah both my work phone & work USB modem are on T Next G because apparently it has the best coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes
    for coverage Telstra, vodafail don't have great coverage, only have it in the large areas, Optus are prob second best for coverage, and have good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Hi, if you plan on leaving the city at all the only provider that works is Telstra, i know this from bitter experience of spending first 3 weeks in remote camp with no comms.
    You will also have to ensure that your phone is next G enabled.
    Basically the only way to be sure that your phone will work is to buy a mobile in a Telstra retailer, i switched from Optus to Telstra and unlocked the phone but it still had optus settings so still wouldn't work @#$#.
    There are plans to suit every budget, i went with a 24 month iphone 4 plan for about $70 per month but there are also good prepaid options but your credit expires at end of every month so you have to top up by minimum amount.
    For internet you also have to go with Telstra for any coverage outside major centres. I bought a plug in "thingie" for $299 and pay about $40 per month for 3Gb of download, unlimited surfing etc..
    If you do need to pick up a notebook over here you can get very basic ones (Acer) from $450 up to whatever you want to spend...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

So would it be worth my while to unlock my current phone if I would have to buy a Telestra Next G enabled phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

So would it be worth my while to unlock my current phone if I would have to buy a Telestra Next G enabled phone?

You don't need a Next G phone if you are just making phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

hussey wrote: »
    I believe that is incorrect, Next G offers better range and is common in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

hussey wrote: »
    If you are in a remote area, such as a construction camp several hundred km from the nearest "town" like myself, the only provider available is Telstra, even at that it is only because the construction camp comms guys have installed boosters and repeaters etc to pick up coverage from the nearest town, these "broadcast" in 3G/Next G.
    I arrived in the camp with an irish iphone on roaming and an unlocked optus Nokia N72/73 (can't remember model) ported over to Telstra. The irish phone worked the optus nokia did not.
    i have since returned to camp with a Telstra iphone which now works.
    Seriously, the only way to be sure of coverage is unfortunately to pick up a Telstra Next G phone (blue tick on website).
    Even at that there are huge swathes of the country with no coverage at all. when i travel more than 10km from the camp i lose all reception, we use radios mainly then.

Advertisement