Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Warning Valid 0600 23/5/2011 until 1500 23/5/2011

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

A period of extreme wind will develop overnight Sunday and continue Monday morning with storm force SW wind along N and NW coast. Extremely strong SW winds through N&W Ulster & Connacht, gusts between 100 and 140 km/h.

South to southwest winds will reach gale force or strong gale force tonight on coasts along the west coast from Cork to Donegal, and later on all Irish coastal waters.
    Southwest winds will reach storm force 10 and possibly violent storm force 11 on coasts from Galway northwards to Donegal on Monday morning.

I will try to keep the weather details updated on facebook page - it's going to be a bad 2-3 days for the garden by the look of that low coming across.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Still a bloody poor outlook:(.
    Weather very changable Weds through Friday. NOAA charts dont show any hope of a break 'till maybe Friday.
    Strong blustery wings and showers, maybe an easing of westerly winds tomorrow evening, but sly winds picking up again weds.
    Thurs and Fri looks as if it will veer westerly but remain fresh - not as bad as today though, lets hope next week better - potato helms taking a battering and very concerned for jeruselem artichokes folliage! Think quinoa has had it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    I will try to keep the weather details updated on facebook page

eh I think we have a met office for that sort of thing, and I'm led to believe that they have a website - no less. Thanks anyway for the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1.

I find http://www.met.ie an excellent source for the weather forecast.

Hardly worth looking to facebook.

This wind has played havoc with all my trees and perennials. Just as they we coming into their own too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

My polytunnel is still standing just, but thought everything would be well ahead by now. this weather is awful..does anyone know if it bodes well for the summer months?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

The Runner Beans are tattered hopefully some might recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

I got a tree surgeon today after the wind took a large tree down and blocked my drive, really cheap, 250 euro and it took him about 2 hours. He took the branches ect away also. His business is Greenfingers landscaping, i got his no off a friend, drop me a note if you want his details, can't post it on this add!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

emt16 wrote: »
    I got a tree surgeon today after the wind took a large tree down and blocked my drive, really cheap, 250 euro and it took him about 2 hours. He took the branches ect away also. His business is Greenfingers landscaping, i got his no off a friend, drop me a note if you want his details, can't post it on this add!!!!
    Why would you not keep the timber?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The wind butchered my Veggie patch today. Nearly sorry I bothered doing it at all after the weather since the start of May.

Why would you not keep the timber?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not everybody would have a use for such timber. Most would just be glad to have it taken away.

€250 is alot if he kept the timber. If there was a good bit I'd expect it to be cut up for free.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but €250 is not dear for a job like that. I've seen a lot more charged (and he kept the timber)

Again, some people would pay €200+ just for a skip to get rid of a fallen tree; let alone someone who will cut it up and take it away for them.

You, or I, may see the value in the timber and have use for it but many would not. To them €250 is a great price to be rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My spuds took an awful battering over the weekend, as did a buddlia that's planted itself in my wall (that's saved me some work anyway).

As I was going to work this morning I saw quite a large tree that looked like it'd been snapped like a sapling. The weather really has been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

this is my first year at veggies and i have to say next year isn't looking to promising:(.
    my spuds grew to about 4" in height and havn't stirred for the last 3 weeks:eek:
    all other veggies have just peeped over the ground and refuse to grow any further:eek:
    then again being in a fairly exposed site really isn't helping.
    god its just awfull weather for veggies:(
    grass is growing mad though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The problem with this time of the year is the trees are carrying a lot of foliage and the wind resistance on the foliage a lot more than bare branches.
    Thats why there is so much damage compared to winter gales.

Advertisement