Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs to pipes installed by private contractor in council home

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Several years ago a family I live beside had a new shower unit placed into the bathroom and had the bath removed in their council owned house. Now there appears to be a heavy leak from a broken pipe that would require breaking and pulling up the concrete or plaster base of the shower unit in order to repair. Since this shower was put in privately would the council refuse to carry out the repairs? The leak is trailing down through the floorboard and running into the council-installed fire alarm which is obviously a huge cause of concern to those living in the home.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't see it as a particular problem. Tell the council and get it sorted before any more damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ger101 wrote: »
    Several years ago a family I live beside had a new shower unit placed into the bathroom and had the bath removed in their council owned house. Now there appears to be a heavy leak from a broken pipe that would require breaking and pulling up the concrete or plaster base of the shower unit in order to repair. Since this shower was put in privately would the council refuse to carry out the repairs? The leak is trailing down through the floorboard and running into the council-installed fire alarm which is obviously a huge cause of concern to those living in the home.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Who paid to get the bathroom up-graded?? it sounds like they got their own person in and paid for it them selves. I'm not sure how the council could be liable for work they done & paid for them selves. In fact should they not of informed the council of the modifications they were going to make to the property, at the end of the day its not their property to modify.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It may be easier/cheaper to get at the pipe from below (esp. if you're talking about floorboards).

Advertisement