Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping doubled since upgrade, yet no speed increase

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

My line upgraded on May 18th, and since then, my average ping has shot up from 30ms to 65ms. There has been no line speed increase at all, but I'm wondering if I need a new modem as the config page says that my speed is still 8160/512.

So my 2 questions are:

1. Has interleaving been turned on on my line? ..since I always had it set to either off or as low as possible previously.

2. Do I need a modem upgrade to get a speed increase?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Can anyone from Eircom help me out here please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

dardoz wrote: »
    My line upgraded on May 18th, and since then, my average ping has shot up from 30ms to 65ms. There has been no line speed increase at all, but I'm wondering if I need a new modem as the config page says that my speed is still 8160/512.

So my 2 questions are:

1. Has interleaving been turned on on my line? ..since I always had it set to either off or as low as possible previously.

2. Do I need a modem upgrade to get a speed increase?

Hi dardoz,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards and apologies for any delay.

if you PM your home phone number I will check if Interleaving is set to low on your connection. I can also take a look at your current sync and attainable rates.

Kind regards,
    Ant

I would suggest changing your profile slightly and setting your broadband connection to interleaving.

Currently you are on 8Mb NGB with high interleaving.

I would also advise lowering your firewall on your router.

If you like, I can do this for you from here.

Otherwise, please call into Broadband Technical Support who will be able to do this for you.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please let me know if I can help you further on this or any other matter.

Kind regards,

Ant

Hi Ant,

It doesn't really make much sense that you are telling me to set my connection to interleaving, and then you tell me that it is already set to high interleaving...

I have always had interleaving on the lowest setting as I mentioned in my thread and for good reason, because having it turned on trebles my ping. Is it standard procedure that when someone gets the speed increase that their interleaving is set to high again? Is this what happened in my case?

As I already stated in my initial thread, I have been upgraded to the 24mb pacakge since May 18th. This is the date that your automated response on 1901 tells me that my line was upgraded. Therefore, I am not on 8Mb NGB as you suggest.

You clarification on the issues above would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ant,

It doesn't really make much sense that you are telling me to set my connection to interleaving, and then you tell me that it is already set to high interleaving...

I have always had interleaving on the lowest setting as I mentioned in my thread and for good reason, because having it turned on trebles my ping. Is it standard procedure that when someone gets the speed increase that their interleaving is set to high again? Is this what happened in my case?

As I already stated in my initial thread, I have been upgraded to the 24mb pacakge since May 18th. This is the date that your automated response on 1901 tells me that my line was upgraded. Therefore, I am not on 8Mb NGB as you suggest.

Hi dardoz,

Thanks again. I will double check your phone details and advise again shortly.

Kind regards

Ant

Hi Ant,

Hi dardoz,

Thanks again. I've responded to you by PM, but as you would also like to keep this in public, I've re-posted the reply here..

I've double checked your broadband connection on the telephone number you supplied, and can confirm that it is currently on 8Mb. You are also on NGB, and your interleaving is currently set on high interleaving.

Again, please let me know if you need me to make the changes I've advised. Changing to low interleaving should help with ping times.

Alternatively, contact Technical Support;

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Kind regards,

Antony M

• Advertisement

Hi Anthony,

You haven't really answered my questions.

If my NGB is still on 8gb, why does your phone system tell me it was upgraded on May 18th?

This date does coincide with my ping trebling, so if I was not upgraded at all, is the only thing that was done was to change my interleaving to high?

Was changing it to interleaving high something to do with the upgrade, even though you are saying it hasn't taken place yet?

Lastly, unless you can give me a reason for interleaving being changed to high, I would like it change back to the lowest possible setting please.

Hi Anthony,

You haven't really answered my questions.

If my NGB is still on 8gb, why does your phone system tell me it was upgraded on May 18th?

This date does coincide with my ping trebling, so if I was not upgraded at all, is the only thing that was done was to change my interleaving to high?

Was changing it to interleaving high something to do with the upgrade, even though you are saying it hasn't taken place yet?

Lastly, unless you can give me a reason for interleaving being changed to high, I would like it change back to the lowest possible setting please.

Hi, thanks again.

Just a quick note incase my last post wasn't very clear.

I have doublechecked your broadband connection and can confirm it is currently setup on 8mb on NGB. It is currently setup with high interleaving.

It's possible that you've been advised on the automated telephone system that your line is to be further upgraded in the near future.

Next Generation Broadband (NGB) is a fibre powered free upgrade up to 8Mb (and up to 24Mb in some cases), which is being offered to all customers whose exchange is now NGB enabled. The ugrade to NGB has happened only in the past year or so. So it's likely you were not on NBG up to recently.

I take it you would prefer to lower your interleaving on your broadband.

I would advise that you contact Techincal Support to ensure that your broadband connection is tested if any changes are made. Tech Support will be able to directly monitor your connection status while making any changes to your interleaving.

Once you receive a case reference from Technical Support, please let us know on boards and we can follow this up if necessary.

Kind regards,

Ant

Hi Ant,

I have been on NGB for almost a year now, which my account should show you I imagine. I have no the no download cap version of it, whichever that one is. It has been 8Mb since I changed over to it.

The automated message tells me that my line was upgraded in accordance with the letter I received.

I think at this stage I will just ring the tech support rather than getting the same copied and pasted reply over and over.

Thank you.

Hi Ant,

I have been on NGB for almost a year now, which my account should show you I imagine. I have no the no download cap version of it, whichever that one is. It has been 8Mb since I changed over to it.

The automated message tells me that my line was upgraded in accordance with the letter I received.

I think at this stage I will just ring the tech support rather than getting the same copied and pasted reply over and over.

Thank you.

Hi dardoz

Thanks again.

Please contact Techincal Support to ensure that your broadband connection is tested.

Once you receive a case reference from Technical Support, please let us know and we can follow this up.

Kind regards,

Ant

Hi Ant,

Can you turn my interleaving to low please. I have been on the phone 3 times to that support number. The first 2 agents told me that they had turned interleaving to the lowest setting, and the 3rd guy told me it couldn't be done. It is really disheartening dealing with people on there who either do not know what they are doing, or just lie.

Please let me know when it is done Ant.

Regards,

Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hi Ant,

Can you turn my interleaving to low please. I have been on the phone 3 times to that support number. The first 2 agents told me that they had turned interleaving to the lowest setting, and the 3rd guy told me it couldn't be done. It is really disheartening dealing with people on there who either do not know what they are doing, or just lie.

Regards,

Darren

It was more likely your misunderstanding....All of the profiles for speed below the full speed of your package have interleaving enabled. So lets say you can get 6Mb max on your line and you were on 8Mb next Gen, interleaving cannot be tuned off.

Hi Ant,

Regards,

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

I have checked your broadband connection and can confirm that it has now been upgraded to *up to 24Mb NGB. Currently this is syncing at 12Mb and it is showing very good attainable rates.

I've asked Technical Support to bring your connection speed up to the highest they can. They have indicated that 17Mb would allow for a stable or solid connection. This will also set this to low interleaving.

Eircom Technical Support have also recommended that your modem is replaced and you should receive this in 2 - 3 working days.

If you need further technical information on your previous broadband connection /setup you will need to call into eircom Technical Support.

Technical Support have a case reference already logged, and are aware of your previous and most recent broadband setup.

Kind regards
    Ant

It was not my misunderstanding I can assure you. I spoke to 2 people first who told me they had lowered it as much as possible. I then spoke to a 3rd guy who told me it could not be done at all because there was no profile available to change to with low interleaving.

Finally, I got through to a guy who rang me back about the speed not being up to scratch on my line. I asked him about the interleaving and he told me he would need to lower the max speed of my line from 17mb to 12mb if I wanted interleaving on low. He told me changed it to low, but I did several ping tests in the subsequent hours and nothing has changed.

There is no misunderstanding. The people in eircom support that I spoke to all seem to have different 'opinions' of what is and isn't possible. That is a real pain to deal with when you can't trust anything they are telling you basically, because they might not know what they are talking about.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

I have checked your broadband connection and can confirm that it has now been upgraded to *up to 24Mb NGB. Currently this is syncing at 12Mb and it is showing very good attainable rates.

I've asked Technical Support to bring your connection speed up to the highest they can. They have indicated that 17Mb would allow for a stable or solid connection. This will also set this to low interleaving.

Eircom Technical Support have also recommended that your modem is replaced and you should receive this in 2 - 3 working days.

If you need further technical information on your previous broadband connection /setup you will need to call into eircom Technical Support.

Technical Support have a case reference already logged, and are aware of your previous and most recent broadband setup.

Kind regards
    Ant

Sorry Ant, I had replied before seeing your reply. That is at odds to what the 4th guy I spoke to last night told me. He told me that I would not be able to have 17mb if interleaving was set to low and told me he would have to change it to 12mb...

Can you check if my connection is set to low interleaving now please? It was not the last time I checked last night.

Sorry Ant, I had replied before seeing your reply. That is at odds to what the 4th guy I spoke to last night told me. He told me that I would not be able to have 17mb if interleaving was set to low and told me he would have to change it to 12mb...

Can you check if my connection is set to low interleaving now please? It was not the last time I checked last night.

Hi Darren,

Thanks. I've checked with Technical Support and they confirm that your current speed is now set to 17Mb and your broadband is set to lower interleaving.

Technical Support have advised that you call them if you have any Technical queries on your broadband connection. They have logged your technical case history and will be able to advise you on all your interactions with them in Technical Support.

Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement