Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to photograph a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Nice post. I like the end conclusion, I've seen some truly shoddy wedding photographers. I was asked recently by my best friend to photograph his wedding, as much of an honour as it was to be considered I had to tell them that me doing a bad job was unacceptable in my mind and also a possible outcome of such a venture into the unknown. Secondly, they would feel pressured into liking the work I had done, but with an independent pro at hand, you can critique the work and pick only what you like. I'll defo run the assistant circuit for a while before going into it for myself.

Anyone here take the plunge with little no experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I shaddowed a pro at a freinds wedding last year. In the end she liked my phots more than the pro`s. I have no idea why, but then I never saw the pros pics. Now the Brides brother wants me to do his wedding next year and I dont think I am up to the job.
    Have till next year to convince them to get in a pro I supose...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I shaddowed a pro at a freinds wedding last year. In the end she liked my phots more than the pro`s. I have no idea why, but then I never saw the pros pics.
    you may find that people were more relaxed around you - they know you, and they didn't feel they had to pose. that could have come out in the photos.

I'd imagine a wedding being a very pressure-filled event for a photographer.

But that said, it is still just an event. I'd imagine anyone who is competent and has a year or two experience with a DSLR could get away with.

I would say wedding experience would be required, but more so as a guest, than a photographer. So long as you know "what'll happen next" you'd be on the ball, I'd say.

I think it's just the "you can't re-do these shots" factor that gets to people. If ya make a jock of it, you're well and truly fecked. I'd say good portrait and general event experience would stand to you, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think along with photography skills there are 2 other very important factors, being people skills and ability to work under pressure. No 2 weddings are the same, you can run into numerous difficulties and need to be able to think on your feet. One example I can give is a priest wanting to cancel because of a late bride and having an argument with emotional family and groom outside the church..... what would you do in that position.... I never thought I would be in it but as the photographer is normally the person with the most wedding experience it is often they who are turned to as to how to deal with these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd imagine anyone who is competent and has a year or two experience with a DSLR could get away with.
    you'd be surprised.
    i shot two weddings, both primarily on film, which made it harder; but they were not relaxing, and there's a lot of stuff to remember which goes out the window when you're under pressure.

shooting a wedding on a year's experience with a DSLR when you're a guest is one thing. as primary photographer - the couple getting married would want their head examined if they expected to get good quality.

No 2 weddings are the same, you can run into numerous difficulties and need to be able to think on your feet.
    i was at a wedding recently where the photographer was a friend of the family. every time someone stood up to do a reading, he'd stand up, fire off three shots, and sit back down again. nothing too intrusive.
    until the priest ordered him to sit down and stop taking photos, because he had 'quite enough shots already'.

One example I can give is a priest wanting to cancel because of a late bride and having an argument with emotional family and groom outside the church..... what would you do in that position....
    i know someone who was at a wedding where the priest left in similar circumstances; he'd warned the bride that he had a second wedding to do in a different church later that afternoon, so said any more than 15 minutes late was too much. he left an hour after the ceremony was scheduled to start, and the bride arrived about 10 minutes later.

every time someone stood up to do a reading, he'd stand up, fire off three shots, and sit back down again. nothing too intrusive.
    until the priest ordered him to sit down and stop taking photos, because he had 'quite enough shots already'.

After a while you kinda of get a feeling for the priest and what he will allow as soon as you meet, best to actually chat with them beforehand and see what they are happy with.
    i know someone who was at a wedding where the priest left in similar circumstances; he'd warned the bride that he had a second wedding to do in a different church later that afternoon, so said any more than 15 minutes late was too much. he left an hour after the ceremony was scheduled to start, and the bride arrived about 10 minutes later.

It is bad form to be too late, I was 40 mns but my priest told me to be 30mns, circumstances beyond control really but I havent really seen much more than that. The priest I encountered was an absolute nightmare, I have never seen anything like it, giving out to everyone, ranting during the ceremony, made the couple very uncomfortable. When it started outside I ushered guests in first telling them I would deal with it, as soon as coast was clear enough I had a couple of family members try get the groom inside while I distracted the priest. Once all had gone in it was just myself and himself and lets just say thank God the bride arrived when she did as I had run out of things to say completely and he was giving me 20 more seconds before he walked away....:eek:

After a while you kinda of get a feeling for the priest and what he will allow as soon as you meet, best to actually chat with them beforehand and see what they are happy with.

It is bad form to be too late, I was 40 mns but my priest told me to be 30mns, circumstances beyond control really but I havent really seen much more than that. The priest I encountered was an absolute nightmare, I have never seen anything like it, giving out to everyone, ranting during the ceremony, made the couple very uncomfortable. When it started outside I ushered guests in first telling them I would deal with it, as soon as coast was clear enough I had a couple of family members try get the groom inside while I distracted the priest. Once all had gone in it was just myself and himself and lets just say thank God the bride arrived when she did as I had run out of things to say completely and he was giving me 20 more seconds before he walked away....:eek:

None of those are photographer issues, though. That's just bride being a nuisance and wasting everyone's time.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to try and solve a timing problem with the priest, go ahead, but if it were me, as a photographer, if the wedding is called off, I get paid for a wedding that didn't happen. Maybe give them a discount if they wish to re-hire you for a second wedding down the line.

Weddings are organised weeks, months, and years in advance. There's no reason to be late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Are you married KKV?

Not sure what relevance that has on anything...?

You just make it sound as though you have lots of experiance on the subject.

if it were me, as a photographer, if the wedding is called off, I get paid for a wedding that didn't happen.
    would you like yourself though for insisting on being paid if you have a very upset couple whose day ended in tatters, to demand the money from?

For anyone who has ever wondered why some wedding photographers ask to get paid in advance, there you go.

would you like yourself though for insisting on being paid if you have a very upset couple whose day ended in tatters, to demand the money from?

Oh, I'd feel like a complete prick, but I'd still charge them.

Bet your ass that if they hired a band that they'd be paid. If they booked a venue for a party afterward then they'd get paid. Anyone supplying food or drink would be paid.

But the photographer is expected to head off home without payment? Balls to that. Wedding or no wedding: if you hire a photographer, you pay a photographer.

eas wrote: »
    For anyone who has ever wondered why some wedding photographers ask to get paid in advance, there you go.

To be honest, I'd imagine most do? Or at least charge a percentage of the cost up-front?

Though I'd imagine a more seasoned wedding photographer would know.

Also, eas, I've no wedding photograph experience (with the exception of observing the few wedding photographers i've seen in action). Regardless, this board is forever complaining about photographers not getting paid, and working for free, etc, but when someone's wedding day goes to crap, because the bride couldn't get her act together, the photographer is expected to shrug his shoulders and pack up his gear?

To be honest, I'd imagine most do? Or at least charge a percentage of the cost up-front?

Some do, most don't. Standards of payment schedules fluctuate depending on where you live, but getting a booking deposit then full payment on the day seems the most common in Ireland

Also, eas, I've no wedding photograph experience (with the exception of observing the few wedding photographers i've seen in action). Regardless, this board is forever complaining about photographers not getting paid, and working for free, etc, but when someone's wedding day goes to crap, because the bride couldn't get her act together, the photographer is expected to shrug his shoulders and pack up his gear?

I have no idea where you got the idea I said the photographer should not get paid?

None of those are photographer issues, though. That's just bride being a nuisance and wasting everyone's time.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to try and solve a timing problem with the priest, go ahead, but if it were me, as a photographer, if the wedding is called off, I get paid for a wedding that didn't happen. Maybe give them a discount if they wish to re-hire you for a second wedding down the line.

Weddings are organised weeks, months, and years in advance. There's no reason to be late.

No it is not a photography issue but it is an issue for the wedding the photographer is covering. In absence of a wedding planner the photographer is usually the one with most experience and the one who 'leads' the way so to speak so if issues arise it is more likely the photographer that will know how to deal with them.

Tackling these issues head on to ensure the couple enjoy their day without distress is not only something that will ensure their day but will also get you further work in future. I have gotten 2 weddings out of that one already and that was only last October, also turned away an enquiry through the couple too as I was already booked for the day. Your work is very important but your attitude towards the couple, the family and any situations that may arise is just as important if you want to gain referrals.

The thing is, a successful wedding photographer, I would imagine, is someone that enjoys their work to the extent that they want to ensure the couple enjoy their day, that along with the work produced is my upmost priority when I work and is my selling point to get me to the stage where I am, as I said, a huge part of it is people skills, if you would happily stand back and let the priest walk away and then put your hand out for payment then I would guess it is not the game for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I hear this!! :)

With enough experience the photographer can be a real asset to most couples on the day, calming them down or letting them know whats coming up or just fixing problems. As Rachel says if the couple have a great day then your half way to the finish line, technical competence and being in the right place at the right time cover everything else.

No it is not a photography issue but it is an issue for the wedding the photographer is covering. In absence of a wedding planner the photographer is usually the one with most experience and the one who 'leads' the way so to speak so if issues arise it is more likely the photographer that will know how to deal with them.

Tackling these issues head on to ensure the couple enjoy their day without distress is not only something that will ensure their day but will also get you further work in future. I have gotten 2 weddings out of that one already and that was only last October, also turned away an enquiry through the couple too as I was already booked for the day. Your work is very important but your attitude towards the couple, the family and any situations that may arise is just as important if you want to gain referrals.

The thing is, a successful wedding photographer, I would imagine, is someone that enjoys their work to the extent that they want to ensure the couple enjoy their day, that along with the work produced is my upmost priority when I work and is my selling point to get me to the stage where I am, as I said, a huge part of it is people skills, if you would happily stand back and let the priest walk away and then put your hand out for payment then I would guess it is not the game for you.

Borderfox wrote: »
    I hear this!! :)

With enough experience the photographer can be a real asset to most couples on the day,

I carry a kit with me that contains small things that I've found come
    in very handy...

- needles & thread
    - spare buttons
    - plasters
    - scissors
    - matches
    - breath mints
    - shoe polish
    - etc

I nearly always end up going to the kit for something every wedding.

Also, knowing how to properly tie a tie, attached button holes & the like is always handy.

• Advertisement

and...I find giving guests photography tips always goes down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

eas wrote: »
    and...I find giving guests photography tips always goes down well.

True :)

Agree with Keith and Eric, an emergency kit along with being helpful to friends and relatives, even standing aside for a moment for guests to copy your photo (usually with a little bit of banter as to how I will charge them later for it;), you need to be a good photographer yes but you also need to be a very approachable and very friendly person. I mean you could be an arse in real life but on the day be the nicest person in the world and YOU are the one each of the guests will think of when they need a photog!

if you would happily stand back and let the priest walk away and then put your hand out for payment then I would guess it is not the game for you.

See, the issue I have with it is, although it's great to step in and put everything back on track, what happens if your involvement in trying to help get things together ends up causing more issues?

If a priest is getting upset, and the photographer jumps into the mix, there's every possiblity the Priest will just have had enough of everyone hampering him and call it a day. I'm not sure how often it happens, but I'm sure it happens.

In which case, it's all the photographer's fault that everything went pear-shaped. Honestly, I'd rather just keep to myself and whatever happens, happens. If the bride wants to arrive early or late, that's up to herself.

That'd be my stance on it, anyway. Unless the people/priest actually specifically seek out your help, I'd just keep myself to myself and let it be.

Maybe the ability to comfortably jump into such situations comes with experience, though. But fom my current-day opinion, I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get involved with a Priest/family issue.

Eas, sorry, maybe I misread your posts, I thought you were saying that if the day goes to crap, then the wedding photographer hasn't taken any photos of the wedding, and as such shouldn't be paid. :confused:

I also would agree that having a small kit of things (as eas commented on) to help the wedding along would be a handy thing to carry. But it'd be a bonus that your photographer carries it. I wouldn't expect a photographer to do such.

You see KKV these things are not expected but it is the extra bonuses that set you apart and ensure you get future work, I mean how many photogs are there these days looking for wedding work...? It is more often than not that the family expect a photographer who is arrogant, and time consuming so delivering them above that is what keeps you in business.

Obviously if a mother and a bride were screaming at each other having a row getting involved would not be a good idea but when there is an issue which may hamper the day and the family and couple are getting upset if I have the ability to seperate them from that issue and sort it out myself then I will do that, be it a priest threatening to leave, a mother with no way to get to the church, even groomsmen left at the church without transport I do not HAVE to help in these situations, it is not in my job description but if I can I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Interesting thread. I've done some videos (DVDs) along with one wedding, a christening, and a communion (last Sunday). The wedding was our son's (small family affair - they were on a budget). The father of the groom doesn't get a lot to do, so I said feck it - I'll give it a go (Eos 40D, Speedlite 430EX, and 17-55 f/2.8 lens).

I really enjoyed it. It is very stressful though. i don't know if I'd like to do it again, but who knows? I got a local Killarney videographer to video the event (and used a stationary camera of my own for cut-ways). I did the post-editing myself.

The christening was for my god-daughter (her own daughter being christened) and that was very laid back.

The communion on Sunday last was for in-laws of my niece. Also very laid back.

I don't know if I'd fancy doing them for strangers though. I did some Wedding DVDs for family and friends and found them very stressful TBH.

But overall I've enjoyed the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

it is not in my job description but if I can I will.
    Which is what sets you apart. Courtesy. The ultimate secret weapon.:)

Advertisement