Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oats for cows

• 22-05-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all I was thinking of feeding oats to cows that are near calving does anybody know where I can get big bags of oats and how much they are also what do ye think of it does it make the calfes strong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

pmct wrote: »
    what do ye think of it does it make the calfes strong

I fed oat last year. I dont think I will feed it again. I dont know if I can say anything posistive about it to be honest. I had a few big pulls and I didnt notice the calves been any stronger. I didnt feed the rest of the cows and they calfed easier!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Does it not make the calves too big as they put on most of their weight in the last cupla weeks before birth. A neighbour of mine fed his cows up to their calving and he had some awful hard calvings (vet and helpers needed). I would never feed oats within the last two months at least. There are too many disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

I feed rolled oats to all my cows prior to calving and hopefully will again next year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 deerejohn

whenever we have embyro calves due(always holsteins) from 1st calvers we feed a restricted forage diet and maybe 1.5 kg oats. We find it a superjob, calves not overfleshed(i know they are holsteins!) but more importantly the fluids are of a much better quality, more slippery and really yellow in colour resulting in a really vibrant calf. In the past have also used it where a diff calving bull was used on the wrong cow with good results also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I also feed rolled oats to first calvers in particular, before calving. With restricted silage, you get handy lively calf, with little or no cover of flesh. Great job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

We feed them to heifers we are trying to get into calf at about 3 kilos per day. Don't put on huge condition but they are the picture of health on it and seems to work well for fertility.

Advertisement