Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important question on the comparatives! Urgent advice needed please !!!

• 22-05-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok

English - HL

Repeating the Leaving Cert this year.
    I did King Lear, Billy Elliot and Dancing at lughnasa last year for the comparative question.
    I have highly marked essays for them still.

This year, our new teacher would not make concessions to anyone, despite 2/3 of those texts being on the course again.

She made us do new texts: The Tempest, As you like it (film) and Emma by Jane austen

She got to the middle of the jane austen novel and school was over. Basically, bad teacher in general but this exam isnt about her.

Her reason for not letting me do Billy Elliot, DAL and the tempest was because she wouldnt be able to help, but she didnt help anyway so now, im wondering would i be better off using all my knowledge on those 2 texts from last year, this year?

I have LGenre, Cultural context, GV and View done on Billy Elliot and DAL.

However I have theme and issue done on the new texts but I only got 42/60 for it which i was very upset with.

So, what Im asking is :

Cultural context and GV and View: The Tempest, Billy Elliot and DAL

Theme and Issue: The tempest, As you like it and Emma.

And also, do the 3 texts have to be theme related in cultural context? Just checking.

Sorry if ive confused anyone, Im confused myself. But honestly, I dont have enought done on Emma, we didnt even get to do all cultural context etc. I did theme and issue by myself for the mocks before she started it.
    I guess, im faced with completed work from last year and it would save time!

Anyone help me out?

Need an answer asap! :confused: Please please please!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Ok

English - HL

Repeating the Leaving Cert this year.
    I did King Lear, Billy Elliot and Dancing at lughnasa last year for the comparative question.
    I have highly marked essays for them still.

This year, our new teacher would not make concessions to anyone, despite 2/3 of those texts being on the course again.

She made us do new texts: The Tempest, As you like it (film) and Emma by Jane austen

She got to the middle of the jane austen novel and school was over. Basically, bad teacher in general but this exam isnt about her.

Her reason for not letting me do Billy Elliot, DAL and the tempest was because she wouldnt be able to help, but she didnt help anyway so now, im wondering would i be better off using all my knowledge on those 2 texts from last year, this year?

I have LGenre, Cultural context, GV and View done on Billy Elliot and DAL.

However I have theme and issue done on the new texts but I only got 42/60 for it which i was very upset with.

So, what Im asking is :

Cultural context and GV and View: The Tempest, Billy Elliot and DAL

Theme and Issue: The tempest, As you like it and Emma.

And also, do the 3 texts have to be theme related in cultural context? Just checking.

Sorry if ive confused anyone, Im confused myself. But honestly, I dont have enought done on Emma, we didnt even get to do all cultural context etc. I did theme and issue by myself for the mocks before she started it.
    I guess, im faced with completed work from last year and it would save time!

Anyone help me out?

Need an answer asap! :confused: Please please please!!!!!!

Firstly, comparative essays are marked out of 70 ?

No the texts don`t have to be theme related but naturally it helps. Base your essay on the texts you are most comfortable with, no point in taking your teachers feelings into account in the exam hall, more then likely she will never know what essay you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is this your question - can you do GVVP and CC on one set of texts and Theme/Issue on another? If so, yes. Just make sure not to confuse yourself.

Why are you doing three modes anyway? Just do two, which should make it easier for you.

The three texts don't have to be related in any way whatsoever. In fact, it makes for a more interesting comparative if they're completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

*70! Sorry, a typo error! :o

So yeah 42 is bad...... Got a B3 in last years leaving and when i viewed my script, it was 60/70 so back to my old texts id say ! Obviously i want last year grade maintained or more...

Thank you so much guys! Complete legends :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Right, basically, it's your leaving cert... so you can do what you want. Last year, I wanted to do pride and prejudice because I adore that novel, so I asked my teacher if it would be ok to substitute p and p for dancing at lug. She said that was fine. And I did, and I ended up with a good result in my comparative - even if i do say so myself, and I'm chuffed I did it, because I would have been the only person out of about 80 lc scripts from my school to have that combo.

However, I was able to do this because I knew that my three texts would fit together. pride and prejudice, a dolls house by ibsen and il postino (film). You have to make sure your texts fit well together. Also, you'll need your teacher to correct your essays and if she's being narky about it, it might be hard to get her to correct it.

So basically, I say go for it.... just make sure it works :)

Advertisement