Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Thread Ban

Options
  • 22-05-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.
    I've been banned from starting threads in AH for six months:eek: for starting "pointless threads".
    I don't see how they're pointless to begin with. One was me giving out about "the general public", on how the masses are idiots. People were agreeing and disagreeing, people had different points of view on the subject. I don't see how peoples opinions can just be deemed pointless. What country are we in? China? North Korea? No, this is Ireland, where people are supposed to be able to express their points of view, but nope, having an opinion on the internet is of course always trolling.
    I strongly feel my ban is grossly unfair. I understand said Mod has a job to do but this is overkill. I'm not trolling, I'm not starting pointless threads in other peoples eyes and I'm not accepting this ban for 6 months. I've stated on numerous occasions that I'm leaving on 31/10/11 anyway (My birthday) so this ban would effectively be permanent.
    I'm rambling a bit so sorry about that but just look at the facts of what's going on here. I can't for one second see how it's justified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'll take this on.

You don't appear to be banned from After Hours, so I'm guessing you've been asked not to start any more threads? I understand this is not the first time.

By your own admission, you were "severely drunk" when you posted ... which might go some way to explain how your view of "pointless" contrasts with the view of the AH mod community.

Which mod asked you to stop this time, and how was this conveyed to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Super-Rush.
    Do you want me to post the PM?

Yes please.

In the resolution of a DRP thread, it is permitted to post a relevant PM.

trout wrote: »
    Yes please.

In the resolution of a DRP thread, it is permitted to post a relevant PM.
    Ok, this is it.
    Originally Posted by super-rush
    Please do not start any more threads in After Hours for the next 6 months please. The ban will be lifted on November 22nd. If you decide to start a thread before that date then you will be banned from After Hours for 6 months. You were given enough chances over the last few weeks but you chose to ignore them.

OK ... thanks for that.

I'm reading through the list of threads you've started, and/or contributed to in AH in recent weeks.

It's quite a long list ... leave it with me for the minute, and I'll come back when I've formed an opinion.

• Advertisement

TeddyTedSon ... I'm still looking through the long list of AH threads you've started off, and the corresponding contributions you've made.

I now have an appreciation for what reasons behind the AH mod decision.

I'm of the opinion that many of your threads are lighthearted, very lighthearted, and some of them are bordering on the trivial if not inane. That's an observation, not a criticism.

In the context of AH, this would normally not be noticed ... but for some reason, it has been noticed with respect to your threads.

I'm going to see if I can find some stats on thread starters/posters in AH, and see what that tells us in terms of metrics ... but I'm conscious that there is an element of subjectivity with respect to what is "pointless".

While I'm trying to gather those stats ... have you anything to add into the mix?

trout wrote: »
    TeddyTedSon ... I'm still looking through the long list of AH threads you've started off, and the corresponding contributions you've made.

I now have an appreciation for what reasons behind the AH mod decision.

I'm of the opinion that many of your threads are lighthearted, very lighthearted, and some of them are bordering on the trivial if not inane. That's an observation, not a criticism.

In the context of AH, this would normally not be noticed ... but for some reason, it has been noticed with respect to your threads.

I'm going to see if I can find some stats on thread starters/posters in AH, and see what that tells us in terms of metrics ... but I'm conscious that there is an element of subjectivity with respect to what is "pointless".

While I'm trying to gather those stats ... have you anything to add into the mix?
    No man I'm good, thanks.

OK ... leaving the question of stats to one side for the minute, I've come to some conclusions.

You do start a lot of threads in AH. An awful lot.
    Many of these threads are frivolous ... by your own admission, some are drunken threads, and others are just sh1t threads (your words)
    These threads tend to follow a certain pattern ... with the signal to noise ratio starting off low, and going downhill, often getting locked.

I've read through all your recent AH threads, and now my brain hurts.

I think the reason you are on the AH mods radar, is the sheer volume and "sameness" of the threads you start. I don't think this is actively malicious, or trolling ... that said I don't think they are contenders for thread of the year either.

In the hope of bringing this to a conclusion, bearing in mind that you are not banned or infracted ... I need your help.

So ... here's a question for you. If I was to ask the AH mods to soften their stance on you starting silly/pointless/irrelevant/what-ever threads, what are you prepared to do? Any suggestions?

How about I go back to PMing them first before I start.
    I'll try not to post about everything that enters my head.
    But I'm just wondering though, even if something is trivial, shouldn't I be allowed to make a thread about it if I want to discuss it. It's the lighthearted stuff on After Hours that I generally read. I don't post about things such as the Queens Visit generally because it doesn't interest me, whereas the thread on hangover cures does:).
    Also the Dental Plan thread could be classed pointless to couldn't it for example?
    I'm not giving out but I don't really see how some thread are classed as pointless and other aren't. I was on AH earlier and looked at all the first page threads and to be honest over half could easily fall in to the pointless category.
    Sorry I'm veering off again there, but basically I'm trying to say that I am trying to stick to the rules. I'm not purposely starting threads for mods to lock. I know they have enough work to do already and aren't paid well so I empathise.

I was all set to broker a deal between you and the AH mods ... until I saw your carry-on in AH last night. Way to go.

I want to bring this to a close now.

I see no merit in your argument, and I believe the AH mods have tried to cater for you in AH. From what I can see, you have not reciprocated.

If you want a presence on the internet to voice your stream of consciousness, and post your many lighthearted thoughts on diverse subjects ... maybe you should consider a blog.

Keep your nose clean in AH for the next three months, stay off the radar and we can look at this again.

• Advertisement

Hi TeddyTedson,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

6 Month(s)

for the following reason:

As per Mod warning, banned for six months. No need to be a dick and hijack an otherwise legit thread.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 6 Month(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.

Bans occur after a serious rules breach so please keep in mind that Moderators don't just decide to ban people out of the blue. If you wish to appeal this ban, please follow our Dispute Resolution Process here. Your first action should always be to PM the Moderator(s) of the forum to discuss the ban. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

All the best,
    boards.ie
    Damn.
    Well, I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick for the sake of it by derailing that thread.
    I just noticed the the OP had just posted a video with no attached text/opinion on the matter, so assumed that it would be closed within minutes as often such threads are.
    It's common to see posters, post off topic comments on such threads before they're closed because they know the OP is posting either in the wrong forum, or obviously against the charter.
    I sincerely thought this is what was going to happen here, but I can see that I was derailing the thread.
    I am sorry for that, but that's where I was coming from on the matter.
    I understand that rules are rules though, and just like the law, ignorance isn't an excuse, but surely my argument has merit here.
    Thanks,
    Fred.

Trout, what's going on?
    I've been told to take it up with you by said mod.

What's going on:

(1) You are now banned from AH for six months
    (2) IMO ... You have been treated fairly by the AH mods
    (3) IMO ... Your arguments have no merit at all
    (4) I am no longer willing to spend time on this for you ... this is the end of the line.

You now have a very simple choice - accept the ban, or appeal to the Admins

I'll appeal to the admins then please.

Do I have to go somewhere else with this or will they see it here?

Is an Admin looking it to this for us?

Can anyone tell me how to contact the admins, also should I open a new thread for this, seeing as I've received a different ban now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Closing this, response given on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement