Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What documents do you need to carry on a motorcycle

• 22-05-2011 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Well I was talking to my mate last night about the hassle he got from gaurds around my area when he was riding a moped. They asked him for his license, as they would, and then wanted documentation of his tax and insurance.

But I thought all you need is License and a valid tax displayed on the bike?

Because as far as I know they radio in the license plate to check for insurance details.

Ive been driving for 3 weeks now carrying just a license and tax disc and didnt pass a gaurd yet, but when I do encounter one , will I have everything that I need??

Thanks,
    Ryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Licence and tax is all you'll need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Licence and tax is all you'll need.
    Yep, it's no harm to carry a copy of your insurance cert too though if it's not too much hassle for you. If you don't carry it then a garda may ask you to call into a station with your insurance details.

By the way I put my tax disk on my key ring because I've heard stories of fellas going around nicking the tax disks off bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GiggsCork wrote: »
    Well I was talking to my mate last night about the hassle he got from gaurds around my area when he was riding a moped. They asked him for his license, as they would, and then wanted documentation of his tax and insurance.

But I thought all you need is License and a valid tax displayed on the bike?

Because as far as I know they radio in the license plate to check for insurance details.

Ive been driving for 3 weeks now carrying just a license and tax disc and didnt pass a gaurd yet, but when I do encounter one , will I have everything that I need??

Thanks,
    Ryan

Getting hassled for correct documentation in Cork? Never would have expected that.....:rolleyes:

I keep my insurance agreement folded up with the tax disc and license in a small leather wallet. Bike displays a two year old disc. Don't bother with replacing it as it was nicked twice in one year when it was valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GiggsCork

daveyjoe wrote: »
    By the way I put my tax disk on my key ring because I've heard stories of fellas going around nicking the tax disks off bikes.

Yeah the tax disc holders are only 2 quid in lee honda, was going to pick one up tomorrow but I might just keep it in my license, and maybe just photocopy the insurance and put it in the license sleeve too.

I know the gaurds are just doing thier job making checks but if I do get pulled its handy to know what I should have.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Only had my tax disc robbed the other day sure.
    Sliced through the holder and gone.
    Won't be displaying the replacement, anyway, staing in the wallet with my license from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Been in Ireland nearly 6 years and on a bike most of that. I commute every day and have never displayed my tax disk since being here (for theft reasons stated above). It's always in my bike jacket pocket - was stopped once and was asked for it, but after fumbling in my pocket for a minute the guy got bored and waved me on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I've been stopped a good few times and only once met a Garda who had a problem with the tax disc being in my wallet. While you don't have to carry your insurance cert, it's no harm to have a copy of it with you since it may save you having to produce it at a Garda station later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

not displaying tax is an offence. so you dont want to be parking for a long time where there are wasps about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

not displaying tax is an offence. so you dont want to be parking for a long time where there are wasps about.

Really? 11 years and I've never had any hassle over it. There's no way to securely display it on a bike, so it stays in with my licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I've heard stories of fellas going around nicking the tax disks off bikes.

Happened to me with my old bike. It was only valid for the rest of that month!

My current bike came with a fairly hefty tax disc holder. I need a spanner, allen key and lashings of WD40 to get the thing open at home. I don't think it's going to be victim to casual theft.... ......but it's actually a photocopy of the tax disc that's in there anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Really? 11 years and I've never had any hassle over it. There's no way to securely display it on a bike, so it stays in with my licence.

yes its another one of our "can't be arsed" laws.
    i was waiting for a vlc through the post and got stopped by a young gard,and summoned to court, for no tax.
    having no tax and displaying no tax were seperate offenses.
    the cop never showed and the judge said i was very lucky,
    of course i taxed the bike as soon as the vlc arrived and did'nt feel very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Always worth carrying your insurance. You'll never get hassle if you have your licence, tax and insurance.

Advertisement