Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Street- Disgrace

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

What was the story with High street being closed? They close it from 6pm to 1am during the week. They were back up and running at one stage. From what I gathered they put down some paving slaps and ruined the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

do you mean john street, pavements are been repaired, and new speed ramps and zebra crossings been built, and then new road will be laid,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

So they close the street Mon-Fri 6pm - 1am, then when there finished laying crooked paths, lamp posts in the middle of the paths(only in ireland) We are then left with a road service that is an absolute disgrace. It was a perfectly fine road service prior to all this work happening now there are trenches all over the place, what on earth is going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

mousehouse wrote: »
    So they close the street Mon-Fri 6pm - 1am, then when there finished laying crooked paths, lamp posts in the middle of the paths(only in ireland) We are then left with a road service that is an absolute disgrace. It was a perfectly fine road service prior to all this work happening now there are trenches all over the place, what on earth is going on.

Looks like it was prepared for fresh tarmac, Have patience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ah John street, my bad.
    Jesus they really are taking their time:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

They are really taking there time the other day i passed john st and 8 men down a hole drinking tea got to love there jobs

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

2 threads merged [size=-2]and the resulting thread looks more coherent than the usual fare on here ;)
    ....cue a fabbydabby post below to resume normal service.[/size]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

They are really taking there time the other day i passed john st and 8 men down a hole drinking tea got to love there jobs
    Picture of the work in progress.
    bloke_from_poland_pic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I've been working in that vicinity the past few weeks and they're nothing short of ignorant. There's a whole lot of dossing going on in the council yards, out of sight of foremen. Like children playing truant from school. Came out this evening and counted 14 of them standing around literally doing nothing.

Nice work if you can get it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I disagree. Standing round all night on a street corner freezing your tits off, taking flack off passers by, hoping for the chance your colleagues will stand back and allow you the chance to get stuck into a hole in the hope that it might warm you up a bit?

No thanks.

....cue a fabbydabby post below to resume normal service.
    Buh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I disagree. Standing round all night on a street corner freezing your tits off, taking flack off passers by, hoping for the chance your colleagues will stand back and allow you the chance to get stuck into a hole in the hope that it might warm you up a bit?

No thanks.

Buh? :confused:

Slap up meal in Langtons paid for guess who the tax payer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Threadhead wrote: »
    I've been working in that vicinity the past few weeks and they're nothing short of ignorant. There's a whole lot of dossing going on in the council yards, out of sight of foremen. Like children playing truant from school. Came out this evening and counted 14 of them standing around literally doing nothing.

Nice work if you can get it in fairness.

Got to love Union jobs. Paying people to stand around and do nothing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

We shouldn't take an ignorant attitude from them remember whose taxes it is that are paying their wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I was away for the week and just walked down John street, no problems. Granted the paths are still too narrow but no works in progress ad the street looked better than it did a month ago. I don't the limestone slabs at the pedestrian crossings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

What exactly is 'share the space'.
    They have taken the bollards away,does this mean you can drive on the footpaths and walk on the roadway:)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I know in one Swedish town (maybe more) they have a "share the space" which is basically the road, completely unmarked all level and everyone is expected to move along in harmony. It actually works quite well and isn't all that complicated. Some people reckon due to the lack of lines, people drive better as they tend to be more cautious, slowing at all junctions, same applies for pedestrians. I can't find this on youtube but it's there somewhere.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've read mixed reviews. One way system would still be better, I wonder if the traders will publish their increased profits after they got it scrapped.

The next time it's attempted it will probably be around improved mobility, a sizable part of the aging electorate will want to get around on their electric scooters. Now if those scooters could be programmed to autopilot all the way home via the chippers then the vinters might get a break!

Advertisement